Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder - 2018. Third time's a charm!

Oh those english muffins.....they may as well serve the eggs benny on pieces of wood! I swear I nearly chipped a tooth at breakfast one morning on our last cruise :crazy2:

Haha Kira.....oh dear, it's rough being that age isn't it?:rotfl2: Glad you found a more economical way to get to the turtle FARM :laughing:

81A497ED-E644-4235-B86A-5181EC9421B5.jpeg

Was Rob playing Kira’s Body Guard here? LOL!!!

I’ve stopped doing Laundry on the ship but it’s nice to see that they send notices now when it’s done.

Your lunches at Dolphanaris looked scrumptious!

Glad to see that Kira “forgave” you (for whatever her mean mommy did, again) and posed for a sweet pic in Grand Cayman.

I get the Eggs Benedict every morning on the cruise. I specifically remember being upset on one of my Disney cruises because it wasn't served every day. I know, first world problems.

She was mad because the ride took 30 minutes and she could have spent those precious moments with her face in her phone but her mean mother made her look around and actually see Grand Cayman

Ah, I have a 15 yo and can relate to this so much!

We didn't see any other taxis and just as we got to a bus stop, the public bus (which is actually a van) pulled up so we decided to hop in.

I am so impressed by this! I've used metros in foreign places but never public buses. This is something I need to research and be a little braver about trying.

Finally had time to catch up! Love the Christmas bag, I have one just like it. As for the Palo Brunch pancakes, they look totally different than the ones I’ve had in the past. They look like normal pancakes. In past they has like a cream-syrup sauce.

Oh, I can't get over the empty and inviting adult pool! What a contrast between that and the crowded pirate party!
Love Kira's dress with the scalloped sleeve openings, pretty print. Oh, yes, I'm familiar with the pre-teen/teen look
of annoyance. ;) Cute Christmas bag.
Ah yes, the tenders at Grand Cayman. ... On our last cruise, the waves were so bouncy that waiting in the huge, huge line for a tender,
to get back to the ship after our excursion, with all the other ships' passengers doing the same, while water would gush forcefully from the sea, past our feet, pulling off flip flops,
and scaring the heck out of most everyone waiting there, that trying to get on that tender was an excursion in itself.
Everyone was unavoidably late getting back on their ships, us included, but I'll never forget the experience. I can't
say I'd like to repeat it, either. :headache:;)
Again, your ship, sunset, food, and
scenery pics are absolutely amazing! Every time I see a Disney ship photo, I can't help but be reminded of how much more
regal and elegant they look than many of the other more unfortunate souls out on the sea... especially the ones that look like large
floating bathtubs. :joker: Thank you for the update! Really appreciate it!

I get the Eggs Benedict every morning on the cruise. I specifically remember being upset on one of my Disney cruises because it wasn't served every day. I know, first world problems.

I would be upset too! This is honestly one of the things I look forward to every cruise. It's pretty much the only time I eat it, but it's every single morning!

I'm all caught up! And do you believe this, I almost forgot about this report, found it again at midnight last night...but alas, ran out of Cheerios in the cupboard!! :guilty: Cinnamon Life had to do, I could continue on. And was happy! Awesome, just awesome. :love1: Every post. LOVED the whole dolphin excursion, and absolutely love that you're honest the whole time, good and bad. Thats why we love your trippies! I am now off, to the grocery store, for the mega size box this time, I won't make that mistake again. Can't wait for more! :love:!!

December 24th, Part 2

Thirty minutes after we hopped on the bus, we were dropped off at the Turtle F̶a̶r̶m̶ Centre.

456.jpg

There are bathrooms in the right corner, under the green coloured second-floor area with the window :thumbsup2

438.jpg

439.jpg

We got the regular passes, which were $18 for us and $9 for Kira. The passes that we were originally going to get were $45 for adults and $25 for kids.

440.jpg

We paid, they gave us our bracelets and then we walked around.

441.jpg

The first place you see is the breeding pond. These guys are huge and have the best area with tons of room and a beach.

443.jpg

445.jpg

Turning left then...

442.jpg

You see chickens...:goodvibes

444.jpg

A little sandy playground for the littles and the building with the hatchery and Education Center...

446.jpg

Schooner's Bar & Grill to the left and turtle touch tanks to the right with Breaker's Lagoon in the middle...

447.jpg

448.jpg

Kira was a little hesitant at first about picking them up but the girl next to us was a pro and helped her until she got the hang of it.

449.jpg

Then Rob got into the tank with her.

450.jpg

They would hide under the stairs or under and behind rocks.

451.jpg

452.jpg

And when you finally were able to scoop one up, they began the flail almost immediately. :sad1:

453.jpg

Tons of iguanas around here, along with chickens too!

455.jpg

458.jpg

I finally got in the tank...

459.jpg

I posed with my kiddo and then got out of the tank and washed my hands and feet.

460.jpg

Kira did the same but then went and looked at some more turtles...

461.jpg

These suckers were huge and she couldn't lift one all the way...

462.jpg

I could barely lift him he was so heavy!

463.jpg

So over to some smaller ones for her...

464.jpg

Looking over, you could see the lagoon. This was one of the areas that was included with the more expensive passes.

465.jpg

There's a nice big pool with a slide...

466.jpg

We wandered over to the other tanks, not allowed to touch but these turtles were huge!

467.jpg

We didn't spend much time here honestly. We all felt bad about the turtles. Unlike the dolphins in Cozumel, these creatures were clearly not happy. The ones in the touch tanks were always hiding and clearly not wanting to be bothered and picked up and then if you did pick them up, they flailed so bad, you just had to put them down, whether you wanted to or not.

We only picked up a few for the photo op and then left them be. The other tanks were also filled with turtles and they would swim around in circles at the outside edge, constantly putting their fins up to see if they could get out.

Those big ones above were clearly trying to find a way out. :sad2:

It made us sad and so we washed up again and left. We wandered around spotting iguanas for a bit...

468.jpg

Here's the lagoon where we were going to snorkel with the turtles...

469.jpg

I would have much rather snorkeled with the turtles than put them through that misery they were going through in those touch tanks.

470.jpg

We tried buying the $5 bag of food to feed them but no one showed up so I guess they didn't want our money :rolleyes1

471.jpg

Here lizard lizard lizard. :p

472.jpg

The guy behind Kira was nice enough to share his turtle food with her...

473.jpg

474.jpg

It was getting hot and we were all kind of done with the turtle sadness situation, so it was time to go. ::yes::

We spent less than an hour here. It was nice to see the turtles up close but honestly, we didn't feel good about it when we left.

I talked with a few people during the rest of the cruise that had also visited the turtles and they all seemed thrilled with them so maybe it was just us that felt that way, I don't know? :confused3

It's definitely not something I would ever do again but I'm glad Kira got to have that experience, if not for anything else, just to see them with her own eyes and have her own thoughts and feelings about this place.

35 images, already :rolleyes2

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest review of the place formally known as the turtle farm. Sad captive animals upset me, so this place is definitely off my list. It looks like you had nice weather at least.

The lagoon looks so much cleaner than when we were there in 2010. The water was pretty murky.

Glorious adult pool time :flower1: I guess everyone else was busy with pirate stuff pirate: Certainly my least favourite night of any cruise, too o_O Glad you got some nice fireworks shots from your balcony:love:

It's nice for new cruisers but yeah, seen it so many times, we can easily skip it now :duck:

It also stinks because they keep the family pool closed most of the night too not that we got any family swim time :rolleyes:

Oh your breakfast.....just perfect!!! Eggs Benedict minus the Hollandaise sauce and the delicious hash browns, yummmmooooo
I usually add some oatmeal, I love DCL oatmeal, then a chocolate pastry for dessert, what better way to start a day???

Yes, I loved my breakfasts on the ship :love:

No better way to start your Disney Cruise day :goodvibes

Rob loves his cream of wheat and his fruit and tons of coffee :drinking1

Oh those english muffins.....they may as well serve the eggs benny on pieces of wood! I swear I nearly chipped a tooth at breakfast one morning on our last cruise :crazy2:

Haha Kira.....oh dear, it's rough being that age isn't it?:rotfl2: Glad you found a more economical way to get to the turtle FARM :laughing:

I don't care for english muffins, ever but these ones looked very mushy :crazy2:

Yes, she's definitely reached that age :rolleyes: :rolleyes2 So much fun! o_O

View attachment 375693

Was Rob playing Kira’s Body Guard here? LOL!!!

I’ve stopped doing Laundry on the ship but it’s nice to see that they send notices now when it’s done.

Your lunches at Dolphanaris looked scrumptious!

Glad to see that Kira “forgave” you (for whatever her mean mommy did, again) and posed for a sweet pic in Grand Cayman.

LOL! It totally looks like it in that pic eh? :lmao:

We have to do laundry, we would have way too much luggage if we didn't! :eek:

Oh, the attitude got much worse :rolleyes: :rotfl2:

Ah, I have a 15 yo and can relate to this so much!

I am so impressed by this! I've used metros in foreign places but never public buses. This is something I need to research and be a little braver about trying.

HAHA! Right?! I was bummed not having my fried eggs after 10 nights of them on the Fantasy but at least they had the egg benny :thumbsup2

Oh Good Lord, I am not looking forward to age 15! :crazy2: :scared:

Don't be too impressed, it was easy and I had watched YouTube videos about it beforehand ;)

Finally had time to catch up! Love the Christmas bag, I have one just like it. As for the Palo Brunch pancakes, they look totally different than the ones I’ve had in the past. They look like normal pancakes. In past they has like a cream-syrup sauce.

Oh really? I will have to google Palo Brunch pancakes and see the difference because mine were just meh and was wondering what the fuss was about :confused:

Oh, I can't get over the empty and inviting adult pool! What a contrast between that and the crowded pirate party!
Love Kira's dress with the scalloped sleeve openings, pretty print. Oh, yes, I'm familiar with the pre-teen/teen look
of annoyance. ;) Cute Christmas bag.
Ah yes, the tenders at Grand Cayman. ... On our last cruise, the waves were so bouncy that waiting in the huge, huge line for a tender,
to get back to the ship after our excursion, with all the other ships' passengers doing the same, while water would gush forcefully from the sea, past our feet, pulling off flip flops,
and scaring the heck out of most everyone waiting there, that trying to get on that tender was an excursion in itself.
Everyone was unavoidably late getting back on their ships, us included, but I'll never forget the experience. I can't
say I'd like to repeat it, either. :headache:;)
Again, your ship, sunset, food, and
scenery pics are absolutely amazing! Every time I see a Disney ship photo, I can't help but be reminded of how much more
regal and elegant they look than many of the other more unfortunate souls out on the sea... especially the ones that look like large
floating bathtubs. :joker: Thank you for the update! Really appreciate it!

Oh my dog! That is crazy about your tender experience! Ours was way better thankfully! ::yes::

Thanks for all of the comments :hug:

I would be upset too! This is honestly one of the things I look forward to every cruise. It's pretty much the only time I eat it, but it's every single morning!

Now to add some fried eggs and ham :goodvibes :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I'm all caught up! And do you believe this, I almost forgot about this report, found it again at midnight last night...but alas, ran out of Cheerios in the cupboard!! :guilty: Cinnamon Life had to do, I could continue on. And was happy! Awesome, just awesome. :love1: Every post. LOVED the whole dolphin excursion, and absolutely love that you're honest the whole time, good and bad. Thats why we love your trippies! I am now off, to the grocery store, for the mega size box this time, I won't make that mistake again. Can't wait for more! :love:!!

HA! I was posting another chapter as you were writing this so now you're no longer caught up :rotfl2:

Order the BIG box, we got lots to go still and I am wordy :rolleyes1 :laughing:

Thanks for the honest review of the place formally known as the turtle farm. Sad captive animals upset me, so this place is definitely off my list. It looks like you had nice weather at least.

Yeah, scratch it off your list for sure :crazy2:

The weather was hot, I am sure everyone on the ship was liking it as we had so many cooler days. 8-)

The lagoon looks so much cleaner than when we were there in 2010. The water was pretty murky.

Yes, even if you look at the pics on their own website, it looks way murkier than what it actually looks like now, they must have redone it recently ::yes::

It was getting hot and we were all kind of done with the turtle sadness situation, so it was time to go. ::yes::

We spent less than an hour here. It was nice to see the turtles up close but honestly, we didn't feel good about it when we left.

I talked with a few people during the rest of the cruise that had also visited the turtles and they all seemed thrilled with them so maybe it was just us that felt that way, I don't know? :confused3

I would have felt exactly as you did. Not sure how anyone could come away from that feeling good about it. Thanks for honestly sharing your experience.

We didn't spend much time here honestly. We all felt bad about the turtles. Unlike the dolphins in Cozumel, these creatures were clearly not happy. The ones in the touch tanks were always hiding and clearly not wanting to be bothered and picked up and then if you did pick them up, they flailed so bad, you just had to put them down, whether you wanted to or not.

We only picked up a few for the photo op and then left them be. The other tanks were also filled with turtles and they would swim around in circles at the outside edge, constantly putting their fins up to see if they could get out.

Those big ones above were clearly trying to find a way out. :sad2:

It made us sad and so we washed up again and left. We wandered around spotting iguanas for a bit...
That really does make me sad too. It looks like the enclosures were also very "fake", just big tubs for them.

I do love seeing turtles in the wild (snorkling with them in Maui was awesome), so it would be heartbreaking to see them being bred just to be poked and prodded.

I agree with you about the turtles. Hard to believe there’s a place like this and they let people touch them. In Hawaii it’s illegal to touch turtles and there are huge fines if you do. We love seeing them in Maui and everyone is so respectful of them. Enjoying your report. Glad you were able to go and take us along. Thanks for sharing with us.

We didn't spend much time here honestly. We all felt bad about the turtles.

I always feel bad for the animals at these places. I won't go to zoos either. It all makes me feel sad. Heck, sometimes I wonder if my dog wouldn't rather be running free but he lives the good life and is pretty spoiled.

Just as an FYI - the turtle centre is a sort of combo platter. It is a government owned facility. They preach conservation but don't exactly practice it in the fullest. In the Caymans, they "control" all of the turtle breeding and nesting. They collect wild nests and bring the eggs to the centre and after hatching release many of the little ones once they have grown a little. Same goes with those that breed in the centre. But they also harvest adults and sell the meat. Roughly 35-40% of the turtles are harvested and sold as meat, as turtle meat is still a common delicacy in the islands. This and the conditions of the animals in the park are the primary reason Disney stopped doing shore excursions here.

And i enjoy reading your trip reports. Kira has sure grown up so much!

December 24th, Part 3

We walked right through the shop and back out the front...:rolleyes1

475.jpg

476.jpg

Rob told us to pose here, guess we missed it coming in...

457.jpg

We walked across the street and waited for the bus, which came around about 5 minutes later.

The trip back to the port was much more interesting than the trip up. It was jam packed full of locals, one of which was hilariously drunk and was entertaining the whole bus.

He had gone out to pick up more beer by the looks of it and he was flirting with all of the girls. And although there was a stop about 3 houses away from his house, he made the driver pull up right at his house :laughing:

As he was leaving, he yelled out very dramatically "You two in the back (that was me & Rob), you get to leave here and tell everyone at home that you met the famous Willoughby!" :rotfl:

He carried on with other stuff and then someone up front yelled "Willoughby! We have places to go, shut the door!" :laughing:

Before he walked away I shouted "Merry Christmas, Willoughby!" and he stumbled up his steps. :rotfl2:

It took 45 minutes to get back because we stopped at just about every stop, tons of locals coming and going. Saw some interesting things though and it was fun :thumbsup2

Big truck near a church door.

477.jpg

Cow just sitting out in an open field...

478.jpg

This cemetery, where almost every grave had tons of fresh flowers on them.

479.jpg

They dropped us off at the bus terminal, a few small blocks away from the ferry terminal. We walked right on a tender but the Princess ship had a huge line up, glad that wasn't us :scared1:

480.jpg

481.jpg

We were all glad to get back on the ship :goodvibes

Rob was super happy when he saw that they finally brought out his favourite ice cream, pineapple coconut :cool1:

482.jpg

We grabbed some lunch and went back to our room...

483.jpg

484.jpg

After eating, I hopped in the shower and just as I was coming out I heard Kira yelling for me. :scared:

Rob had hurt his jaw eating his hot dog and was in so much pain that he couldn't answer Kira which freaked her out, which in turn freaked me out because she was freaking out. A whole lot of freaking out going on :rolleyes:

Poor Rob was not getting any better and whatever he did to his jaw that day just made it worse. I told him to cut all of his food into little bites and eat that way for the rest of the trip.

I had a hard enough time adjusting to eating with my braces, and I recall Kira making fun of me for cutting my food into small bites but that's what it took and I knew Rob needed the same thing. ::yes::

I recommended he eat more soup and soft foods and he agreed because eating anything at that point was just tough on him. :sad2:

After we all showered, Kira was planning on meeting up with her friend, who was feeling better now and didn't want to join us for Mary Poppins in the WDT so Rob and I went on our own.

Turns out her plans fell through, her friend ended up doing something else so she just went back to the room.

The cruise director and her assistant did a cute little Mary Poppins intro and then we watched the movie.

485.jpg

486.jpg

487.jpg

So, the movie ended and I looked at Rob, practically through my tears and he blurted out "Well, that was terrible!"

:scared1:

WHAT???!!!

I loved it!! I thought they did a great job with it, capturing the spirit of the original but updating it but he didn't like it at all. :crazy2:

Whatevs!
groooansmileyf.gif

Back to the room where Kira was up on her bunk watching Descendants on TV...again. :rolleyes2

Tonight was the Captain's Gala Menu, which I hate and always try to skip! We planned on skipping our ONLY meal at Triton's (boo!) so we could relax in our room and order room service.

We had told Wayan the night before that we weren't going to be there and he asked if there was something on the menu we wanted. Rob was going to miss his lobster and was sad so he told us to have Rob meet him at the table at around 9pm and he would have the lobster and shrimp dishes ready for him to pick up.

Perfect! :goodvibes :cool1:

I ordered room service first because I didn't know how long it was going to take...

488.jpg

I didn't even know I liked Key Lime Pie until I tried it from room service last Christmas, so we got it for dessert.

Rob said the same thing...who knew I liked Key Lime Pie. :scratchin :rotfl2:

489.jpg

490.jpg

I ate while sitting out on the verandah, which was wonderfully quiet since they were off to dinner next door. :thumbsup2

497.jpg

498.jpg

499.jpg

Rob ducked out to grab his dinner and ran into Darcy, our awesome room host...

505.jpg

Who dropped this off for us...

491.jpg

Rob went down to Triton's...where he grabbed a photo of our table number, since he knew I wouldn't be seeing it. I love the new signs they had! :love:

506.jpg

And then he came back and ate his dinner...

492.jpg

493.jpg

494.jpg

Kira went to go see Mary Poppins, something she had planned on doing with her new friend but her friend bailed on her and she watched it alone. Well, she watched the first 20 minutes before ducking out and coming back to the room. She said she didn't like it, so she left. :rolleyes:

What is wrong with you people? That was an awesome movie :goodvibes :cool1:

So Rob put on Solo on his ipad, hooked it up to our TV and we enjoyed a whole 20 minutes of quiet time alone :laughing:

495.jpg

496.jpg

Then it was time for Mass.

503.jpg

504.jpg

502.jpg

Here's the Nav for tomorrow, which is Christmas Day :santa:

500.jpg

501.jpg

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight. :santa: :faint:

Enjoying your trip so far. I feel so bad for you and Rob and your tooth issues. My son recently got braces and had a lot of pain a couple of times. He seems to have adjusted but they get tightened soon.
My son was like Kira and didn’t really like the clubs and would rather hang with us or in the room. He’s 15 now and he and his brother who is 20 spend all their time playing basketball or ping pong on the ships.
Our next cruise is to Canada and Nova Scotia for our 25th anniversary in August. Seriously looking forward to it.
Hope you had a great Christmas Day. Can’t wait to read about it

Awwwww, now I feel bad for the turtles too. Yep, I won’t consider that excursion either now. :(

Was Rob playing security guard at the turtle food booth too? LOL!!
I guess if I wanted to buy it bad enough, I probably would’ve tossed the $5 into the booth and taken my bag of food. Worker would’ve found it when he/she came back. Then again, with my luck, I would’ve been arrested for that. :)
At home during harvest season, many farmers have their goods out on a table and payment is on your honor. They do it every year, so they must not have too many problems with payment.

Did DCL do Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve?

\

Awww, yeah from your description and photos, it looks like the turtles were not happy to be surrounded/touched/picked up all the time. That's sad :sad1: Officially taking any turtle farm/centre off any excursion list for future cruises.

Ouch, poor Rob! I hope he was able to eat ok the rest of the trip. At least the dinner that night was soft and yummy :flower1:

Woohoo, Christmas!!!:santa::santa::santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter