• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cass, Rob & Kira - Christmas on the Wonder - 2018. Third time's a charm!

Was so excited to sign in today and see a new Cass report! I was hoping to see one soon!
I cannot belong how much Kira has changed into a beautiful young lady. Definitely not a child any more! Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

December 21st, 2018

Let's finish off our first cruise day, shall we? :thumbsup2

It was now time for our first dinner! :cool1:

194.jpg

We were at table 45 and had Wayan & Chani as our servers. I have photos of them on other days, just not tonight. They were both awesome. Chani's accent was tough to understand at times but she was very sweet and both were very good at their jobs. ::yes::

195.jpg

Sorry, I tried taking photos of the menus as usual but with the lights, it was hard to get a decent photo of anything! Doesn't matter how I took it, there was always some reflective light somewhere but if it's super important to you, there are tons of places online that you can see the menus. They haven't really changed ;)

196.jpg

I got the purseittes, of course! Their portions have definitely shrunken but that's okay, I always leave dinner feeling very full :p

197.jpg

Kira asked for her usual Caesar Salad. ;)

198.jpg

Rob got his fave soup, butternut squash...

199.jpg

And I got my fave, Baked potato! Yum! :woohoo:

200.jpg

Kira ordered the kids cheese pizza but she said it wasn't very good. She enjoyed the fries though, of course :rolleyes:

201.jpg

I got what I get every night, the beef dish. I don't care for the wasabi potatoes though so I asked Wayan to substitute them with a baked potato instead.

202.jpg

Rob ordered the chicken but was brought this instead, wooops!

203.jpg

After pointing it out to Wayan, he immediately grabbed him the correct dish. :thumbsup2

204.jpg

Dessert time!

205.jpg

I got my go-to, which hasn't been all that great the past few times but tonight it was delicious!

206.jpg

Kira got the sundae...

207.jpg

Rob got this...sorry for the lighting but this is the night they have the little colour show and Mickey comes around the room so the lights were a cool blue when we ate our desserts. :rolleyes1

208.jpg

Back to the room after dinner where Kira watched her shows and I headed to the Quiet Cove Pool. Rob came with me that night and read his book a little in the lounge chairs.

209.jpg

210.jpg

So, after being kicked out, we headed back to the room. Change into jammies, perused the Navigator for the next day and then grabbed my blanket and sat out on the verandah for a bit, enjoying the moonlit ocean and listening to the waves :cloud9:

192.jpg

193.jpg

Such a great day, I could not have asked for a better first day on a ship! :love:

Last edited:
I don't usually post or reply to posts. Me and DH just booked our first Cruise for the wonder Dec 2019 to see if we are going to like it. Our soon to be 12 year old tween will be joining us, we decided to go on one for our 25th anniversary. I am loving your trip report and really appreciate the details. Thanks for posting them

Such a great day, I could not have asked for a better first day on a ship! :love:

(minus the pool closing early :rolleyes2)[/QUOTE]

Awesome day!!!! I could go for the pasta right about now! MMMMM!

I also didn't realize they were getting away from the welcoming show on the first night. It will be interesting to see what they do in 3 weeks...from today!!!!

I am enjoying your trip report and am excited to be sailing for the first time on the Wonder, four weeks from today! Will complete my Grand Slam!

I am enjoying your trip report and am excited to be sailing for the first time on the Wonder, four weeks from today! Will complete my Grand Slam!

I go 3 from today, so you will be getting on when I am getting off! It will complete my grand slam too!

Ok, is it just me or does Colleen look like she is popping out from a Jack in a Box toy? :) :crazy:

NO POOL TIME ON THE SHIP FOR YOU AND KIRA???? Noooooo!!! :scared:

What is Azure? I’ve never been on the Wonder. Is it new or something I’ve just never heard about? I’m assuming it’s maybe one of the bars onboard? Yes?

Now, that Webcam man/woman needs to take lessons from the one at Fishlips in Florida. That guy knows how to run that camera. With all those people standing up on the top decks waving, I don’t understand why he insists on showing us that one lonely passenger on their verandah who is oblivious to anything that’s going on. :sad2:

You made Chuck very envious when we read about the dolphins. 9 cruises for him and NEVER saw a dolphin yet! lol. :tilt:

So I have to ask. What did Rob originally get for dinner instead of the chicken? i couldn’t identify it. It looks like a hamburger steak to me and like a dirty tub strainer to Chuck!! whahahahahahaha!!!

Oh I could just eat plates of the truffle pursettes! I mean, I'd have a heck of a stomach ache but it would be worth it :worship:

Totally agree, the pools (both adult and family) should be open til midnight::yes:: And the adult pools are better on the classic ships, was not a fan of the way they designed them on the Fantasy at all.

Sailing on DCL over Christmas is on my bucket list...loving your trip report and I agree with everyone...Kira is so grown up and very beautiful...just like her Mom...I hope Rob is feeling better....nothing worse than dental issues while on vacation...I broke a tooth 2 weeks before our Christmas trip to Disneyland this past year and my dentist worked miracles to have the crown made and installed before our trip...

Definitely try it, at least once! So peaceful and stress-free :cool1:

Thanks, you are too sweet! :hug:

UGH! That was a close call for you! Glad it worked out. Yeah, it was tough on Rob. I felt bad for him, it was a tough trip for him :sad1:

Cass...just wanted to say that we booked a Merrytime cruise today on the Fantasy...the one for Christmas week was too expensive and it was a western caribbean which is we will be cruising in March (to celebrate my 50th birthday), so I booked the Nov 30 Eastern Caribbean with Tortola and St. Thomas. I was able to get one of the aft corner accessible verandah staterooms, which will make it a lot easier for my Mom who uses a walker/rollator. I am going to surprise her with getting the room decorated and taking along some Christmas lights. I know you mentioned yours were battery operated....do you think DCL would allow ones that plug in? or should I try to find battery operated ones?

I also hate the pool situation on Disney ships. We've been sailing other lines the last couple of years and the pools are all open much later than Disney.

It seems weird that employees would be in the hot tub. That seems strange to me.

I am so glad you are writing another trip report. I always enjoy your adventures and advice. Are the pillows beside Rob "your pillows"? I remember you mentioned in an earlier report that you liked extra pillows.

I am a non-crowd person also but I do enjoy Disney parks and cruises, just so long as I can avoid the masses.

Kate

Thanks, Kate! :goodvibes

Yup, those are all my pillows :love::rotfl2: It's the first thing I do when I get to my room, find my room host and ask them for extras :rolleyes1

Great start to your trip report. Looking forward to lots more.

Thanks, looking forward to sharing it all with you guys :hyper: :thumbsup2

I'm typically a lurker, but I do faithfully read your trip reports. I, too, am a person who hates crowds but loves Disney. Since my "kids" are grown up, when we cruise we completely avoid the family pool and don't do the buffet at lunch (just breakfast - which we do early) so, other than muster, we are pretty successful at avoiding the crowds. We have lots of pictures where it looks like we're the only people on the ship! I'd love to spend Christmas cruising. You have a very sweet family; Kira has really blossomed into a beautiful young lady!

Well, thanks for posting and letting me know you're here! :hug:

And thanks for the kind words! :flower3:

Yes, those are great ways to avoid the crowds. Rob loves the lunch buffet so we usually go there for lunch ( I go to keep him company, not eat as I prefer a hot dog and fries) but this cruise seemed to have more kids than any of my past cruises and we avoided the crowds as much as possible. The few times we didn't, I totally regretted it :scared:

Oh I enjoy your reports so much!!! I'm still laughing at some of the events from the two most recent ones. So entertaining!
I love all the pics! And I never ever tire of your pancake and cheeseburger pics, oh, and all of the desserts! Yes, it does feel like all 1500 (so far) of us are going on vacation with you guys. :-) I love the helpful hints and tips!

Wow, you and Kira are something else getting into that freezing cold pool and lukewarm hot tub in the cold. I'm from the midwest and while there are times that 20 degrees F feels balmy, I could have never gotten in that water. Kudos to you two! I once tried to enter an unheated quiet pool at POR in Dec and couldn't handle it, especially not finding out it wasn't heated til we tried to get in!

Love your luggage. Love your room and door decorations. Love Kira's hair. Can't believe how grown up she looks. Such a pretty girl! Such an adorable family! So sorry about all the dental issues trying to gnaw away at your enjoyment.

Nice free breakfast at the Hampton. Rob looks like a professional waffle iron wiedler and it seems Kira inherited the skill. :smooth: Love those waffle pics too!
We have been on the Wonder 1x and Magic 3x. Nothing but nothing is as exciting as boarding the ship on that first day knowing the fun is just beginning. Can't wait to enjoy your journey!:D

Tink

ps. Love the childhood pics with you and your mom from the other trip reports. So very special. :cutie:

Awww, thanks Tink :grouphug: :love:

I'm glad you enjoy my reports, makes me feel like they are worth writing when I hear feedback like that because I often just write for myself and just hope a few people get to be entertained and learn something new :lovestruc

Man, that pool was cold, I still don't know how Kira did it! :eek: :rotfl2:

HAHAHA, POR pool in December that wasn't heated? Brrrr! :cold:

I would love to go on the Magic again, especially now with Rapunzel's :love: I've seen the show, just not the restaurant. I miss the Magic! ::yes::

Was so excited to sign in today and see a new Cass report! I was hoping to see one soon!
I cannot belong how much Kira has changed into a beautiful young lady. Definitely not a child any more! Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Thanks, I will try my best to keep them coming :goodvibes:cool1:

I don't usually post or reply to posts. Me and DH just booked our first Cruise for the wonder Dec 2019 to see if we are going to like it. Our soon to be 12 year old tween will be joining us, we decided to go on one for our 25th anniversary. I am loving your trip report and really appreciate the details. Thanks for posting them

(minus the pool closing early :rolleyes2)
[/QUOTE]

Well thanks for posting then!! :hug:

You will love it! Happy 25th, it will be a great way to celebrate :cool1:

Awesome day!!!! I could go for the pasta right about now! MMMMM!

I also didn't realize they were getting away from the welcoming show on the first night. It will be interesting to see what they do in 3 weeks...from today!!!!

Not long now, Jen!! :banana::banana::banana: I'm excited for you and can't wait to read your trippie! I'm jealous of you all...in a good, healthy way, of course :p:lmao:

Woooo hoooo! Almost there!! :woohoo:

The Wonder in 2016 completed my Grand Slam too :thumbsup2

I go 3 from today, so you will be getting on when I am getting off! It will complete my grand slam too!

:dancer:

Ok, is it just me or does Colleen look like she is popping out from a Jack in a Box toy? :) :crazy:

NO POOL TIME ON THE SHIP FOR YOU AND KIRA???? Noooooo!!! :scared:

What is Azure? I’ve never been on the Wonder. Is it new or something I’ve just never heard about? I’m assuming it’s maybe one of the bars onboard? Yes?

Now, that Webcam man/woman needs to take lessons from the one at Fishlips in Florida. That guy knows how to run that camera. With all those people standing up on the top decks waving, I don’t understand why he insists on showing us that one lonely passenger on their verandah who is oblivious to anything that’s going on. :sad2:

You made Chuck very envious when we read about the dolphins. 9 cruises for him and NEVER saw a dolphin yet! lol. :tilt:

So I have to ask. What did Rob originally get for dinner instead of the chicken? i couldn’t identify it. It looks like a hamburger steak to me and like a dirty tub strainer to Chuck!! whahahahahahaha!!!

LOL, yes, she totally does with that black stuff in the background looking like the box :laughing:

Kira/Mommy pool time this trip took a hit for sure :sad:

Azure used to be Rockin' Bar D, you remember that place, we had some good memories there :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

Yes, they definitely need some lessons! You might have seen Kira but she was probably inside the room watching TV :rolleyes2

So many dolphins this trip....SO MANY!! :worship::love: We saw tons coming back into Galveston too! Wish you guys were there!

Did he not see the ones you spotted in 2013? I remember running into you guys sitting at the Cove Cafe, saying you just saw dolphins, no??? :confused3

That was the tuna steak :crazy2: :laughing:

Oh I could just eat plates of the truffle pursettes! I mean, I'd have a heck of a stomach ache but it would be worth it :worship:

Totally agree, the pools (both adult and family) should be open til midnight::yes:: And the adult pools are better on the classic ships, was not a fan of the way they designed them on the Fantasy at all.

Yes, they sure are delicious and a fan fave! :thumbsup2

Oh man, they really messed up with that adult area design on those ships! Tiny pools and a major thoroughfare :scared1:

Cass...just wanted to say that we booked a Merrytime cruise today on the Fantasy...the one for Christmas week was too expensive and it was a western caribbean which is we will be cruising in March (to celebrate my 50th birthday), so I booked the Nov 30 Eastern Caribbean with Tortola and St. Thomas. I was able to get one of the aft corner accessible verandah staterooms, which will make it a lot easier for my Mom who uses a walker/rollator. I am going to surprise her with getting the room decorated and taking along some Christmas lights. I know you mentioned yours were battery operated....do you think DCL would allow ones that plug in? or should I try to find battery operated ones?

YAY!!! :jumping1:

What an awesome way to celebrate your 50th!! I think I want to do the same!! :thumbsup2

If you want the xmas blanket/pillow, make sure to order them early, they sell out quickly! I have tried for the past three years and haven't gotten them :sad::sad::sad:

I think they would allow it but there are not many outlets so I would totally go for the battery ones. I bought the cheap ones from the dollar store and they were great! I even glued on some magnets to the battery packs so I could hang them from the ceiling, it was awesome :flower:

I also hate the pool situation on Disney ships. We've been sailing other lines the last couple of years and the pools are all open much later than Disney.

It seems weird that employees would be in the hot tub. That seems strange to me.

One of these days, we are going to cruise another line all together, maybe RCCL because they seem to have awesome pools and we can eat dinner at the buffet every night (another thing DCL lacks) which would make Rob happy and then Kira and I will swim together all night :cloud9::love:

Certain CM's, depending on their job are allowed to use the pools on their time off. I have run into many of them over the years in the hot tubs. It seems to be most (if not all?) have been in the show/entertaining area, so the ones you see in the shows or with the characters. :goodvibes

Just have to comment on your trip to Snooze....it's my favorite!!!!! It started in Denver and I'm happy to see they are expanding....they are so freaking good!!!!!!

Yay for the upgrade...but boo for the short pool hours.

Jill in CO

I'm jealous of you all...in a good, healthy way, of course

Well I really wish you were coming too! It's been way to long since I have seen you.
I really am going to start saving after this one for Christmas and suggest it to Skip. So.....maybe next Dec????

I am so happy to see another Cass trip report! I love them...Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We were on the Wonder 12/27-1/3 and it was one of the best cruises we have ever been on. I hope your crew had just as much fun. And, I can't believe how much older Kira looks since summer! She is growing up to be a beautiful young woman. Can't wait to keep reading!

I am so happy to see another Cass trip report! I love them...Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We were on the Wonder 12/27-1/3 and it was one of the best cruises we have ever been on. I hope your crew had just as much fun. And, I can't believe how much older Kira looks since summer! She is growing up to be a beautiful young woman. Can't wait to keep reading!
Glad to hear you had a great trip, sorry we had to eat your lunch, we couldn't get off the ship slow enough ;)

Awesome first day!
Here's a better one, according to Kira, with less Daddy love :rotfl:

166.jpg
Very cute! And he's using the hat as a camouflage so we can't tell if his eyes are open or closed!

One of our favourite memories of the first two Christmas cruises was laying in bed at night, snuggling, watching the strands of pretty Christmas lights that I had hung up in the room.

Such a simple but wonderful memory and I knew that on this cruise I would plus that up a little so I ended up getting a whole crap-load of lights this time :p

Pictures don't do it justice, our room was LIT! :rotfl2:

It was sooo pretty in there!

187.jpg

188.jpg
Very pretty! I love Christmas lights so much!

December 22nd, 2018 Part 1

We all slept in today having stayed up quite late the night before. We skipped breakfast because Rob and I had Palo Brunch scheduled for noon for we just got up and showered and then it was time to go!

Honestly, I can't remember what Kira did but I'm pretty sure she grabbed two apples from Cabanas and brought them back to the room and watched TV. :rolleyes2

We showed up to Palo a little early but were seated in a few minutes.

212.jpg

213.jpg

Our server took this shot for us.

214.jpg

The menu looks the same as it did a few months ago...

215.jpg

We don't drink for medical reasons so we skipped the drinks and went straight for the food once we ordered from the main menu.

This is Rob's plate from the buffet...he said this was the freshest croissant he's ever had. I almost grabbed one myself to try it but then I remembered that I am supposed to avoid all nuts with my braces :sad1:

216.jpg

Once he got back from the buffet, I went up myself and by the time I got back to my seat, my pancakes were sitting there. :scared:

They usually give you more time to enjoy the buffet foods before bringing you the food you ordered. :(

217.jpg

And here's the stuff I grabbed from the buffet. I normally don't get anything so you should all be proud of me because I was branching out and trying new stuff. :rolleyes1

It was okay but the only thing that I really enjoyed was the boursin cheese that is actually hiding behind the meats. They didn't seem to have any crackers other than those massively long breadstick things so I didn't get much. :rolleyes2

218.jpg

It was the first time I had ordered pancakes. Everyone seems to rave about them so I thought I would try but they were just pancakes..meh.

Rob got the blueberry ones and enjoyed those.

219.jpg

He also got the tomato soup, after I suggested that he might like it and because it would be easy for him to eat.

220.jpg

I got the chicken parm, which was very delicious!

221.jpg

Rob loved his soup so much that he requested another bowl :p

222.jpg

Then I got some desserts...which I didn't care for. Even my fave, the chocolate dipped strawberries were lacking. Strawberries weren't very fresh :scared:

223.jpg

Rob got some desserts for himself...

224.jpg

Since I didn't care for mine, I ended up trying his tiramisu, which I normally don't like and it ended up being my favourite! I should have gone up and got my own but he was glad to share with me. :lovestruc

We left a large tip as the meal was free due to my CC status and then headed back to the room.

Rob seemed to enjoy the food more than I and ended up eating way too much. :laughing:

I enjoyed the chicken parm but not much else. I didn't like how they paced our food and our server, while really great at the beginning, seemed to all but disappear near the end and it took a very long time to get the bill.

Having said that though, I am a picky eater with simple tastes so Palo really wasn't made for someone like me ;)

Here's my Christmas tree thing that I made. Even though I put on some pretty strong magnets on this sucker, they weren't strong enough to hold it up on the outside door. It had pretty white lights in behind so I ended up just standing it up on that middle chest of drawers.

225.jpg

Rob was full and content and wanted to nap :lmao:

226.jpg

Kira was watching TV, qu'elle surprise! :scratchin :rolleyes2

227.jpg

We had hoped that she would text her friend or head up to the Edge while we were gone, not only to have some fun but also to vacate the room long enough for our room host, Darcy to clean it. We ran into Darcy in the hall and he was asking our plans so we told him we would all leave the room so he could do his magic pixiedust:

Rob and Kira ended up going to watch a movie while I just walked around the ship...

Where I spied these two lovely pieces of art work. I swear I could easily take home all of that art that hangs in the Gallery if only it didn't cost six billion dollars to ship it home to Canada. :rolleyes1

228.jpg

229.jpg

The atrium was mostly empty so good time to grab a pic of the beautiful decorations!

230.jpg

And then I explored the store a little. I loved this shirt...didn't care for the colour but I could definitely relate :teeth:

231.jpg

232.jpg

I walked up to Cove Cafe, reminiscing about mine and Nancy's time spent there on the Dream :love:

I took a pic of the food offerings and then sat in the wonderfully quiet, child-free environment for about 20 minutes, perusing the navigator app on my phone.

233.jpg

234.jpg

It's just not the same :rolleyes2

235.jpg

After giving Darcy long enough to clean it, I returned to a lovely, clean, quiet room all to myself :love::cloud9:

236.jpg

But the silence wouldn't last as my family shortly returned. Kira took over the TV and Rob went on the verandah to read his book. It was too hot and sunny out there for me and I was getting hungry anyway, as was Kira.

I asked her if she wanted to head up to Pete's and Daisy's with me and she said yes. I went out to ask Rob if he wanted some fruit or something and I found this...

237.jpg

He was sound asleep :laughing:

Kira and I headed up and got some food for all of us. Looks like someone had an accident :crazy2: :duck:

238.jpg

Hello, beautiful! :love:

239.jpg

And back to her natural environment, right in front of the TV, with food. :rolleyes1

240.jpg

Rob was up by the time we got back or maybe we woke him up with the noise?

We all ate and then watched another gorgeous sunset from our verandah.

It was gorgeous but certainly not quiet or peaceful, thanks to our neighbours. They seemed to constantly be on their verandah (or at least every single time we were on ours) and they didn't seem to have much consideration for anyone but themselves :headache:

They were travelling with extended family (probably with no verandah) so their room was always filled with several additional family members and they always left their verandah door open and half were inside and half were outside and they were constantly talking/yelling/screaming/crying with/to each other from inside to out and from outside in. :worried:

They left their verandah lights on almost every single night, (both our neighbours did actually) which made it harder to enjoy the nighttime scenery which irked me because they were never on the balcony late at night, they just never turned it off before going in for the night. I don't mind the lights on if they were actually using them but they weren't!

This happens sometimes because people don't know where the light is, it is rather kind of hidden on all ships but considering the light was off during the day, we knew that they knew where that switch was. :rolleyes2

So every dang evening we would try to enjoy the sunset or the view but instead we got a play by play of every single second of it as well as a weather report, wind report, wave report, ship log and plane, ship and bird spotting. o_O

We knew what they were eating, drinking and watching on the TV. We knew what they did all day and what they planned for the rest of the day. We knew what excursions they took and didn't take and why.

Oh. My. Dog.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Please don't get me wrong...we're not opposed to people enjoying their verandah...we get it, you're on vacation. Have fun, enjoy. Please just realize that there are people just inches away from you that can hear everything you say and maybe they don't need to know every single detail of your lives. :rolleyes2

Here's a lovely quiet, muted version of what we saw that night. :rolleyes1 :p

241.jpg

242.jpg

243.jpg

I just love that last one! I love the light, the contrast, the colour of the ocean matching the clouds above, so gorgeous! :lovestruc

Last edited:
I am totally laughing that you post it was too hot and sunny to sit out of the verandah....then the next picture is Rob in LAYERS of clothes. hahahaha.
I am betting it was hot!

Just got caught up on your latest TR! I've enjoyed reading them in the past and thoroughly enjoying this one also! I totally agree with the noisy neighbors. We had smokers on our last cruise all around us and had to complain as we couldnt even go outside most evenings because of the smoke smell. Previous cruise before that it was neighbors with screaming kids on the verandah every evening so we only got to enjoy our verandah early mornings before the neighbors would wake up

Haha Rob asleep on the verandah, all cozy. Bliss :flower1:

A little tip for Palo, if I may be so bold: we always tell our server that we would like time with the menu and would like to enjoy a plate of food from the buffet before even ordering from the menu because they are usually quite quick to bring the food out from the kitchen. So by the time they bring out our dishes, we are already on our second plates from the buffet :teeth:

Ugh, noisy people on their verandah are the worst. I'm sorry, I get it. We always try to carry on quiet conversations when we are out there so as not to disturb our neighbours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter