cashier gave me to much back

tileman

Donald Duck
A cashier at Publix were I food shop gave me back to much change was 11.00 to much I did not notice it till later when I got home.
How do I return it ? I’m guessing the front service desk
I don’t want to keep it it’s not mine and don’t want the cashier to get into trouble.

Ron

They shouldn't get into too much trouble, unless the cashier has a history of being off on their till. Yes, take it to the service counter and explain what happened.

I was a cashier at Phar-Mor waaaay back in the day. You could be +/- $5 off your till and nothing was said. Over $5, it was on you to count your till after your shift for a week to make sure it would not become a repeating offense.

A cashier at Publix were I food shop gave me back to much change was 11.00 to much I did not notice it till later when I got home.
I don’t want to keep it it’s not mine and don’t want the cashier to get into trouble.

Ron
Make a copy of your receipt, go to the customer service desk, and give back the overage of $11.00.

In some businesses, cashiers, are required to pay back funds missing from their opening banks. When I worked in hotels, front office clerks had to pay back to the penny.

If it were at my Publix, I would probably keep it. Not really, but....

I have said before that the Publix closest to my house has the WORST SERVICE EVER. I would consider even for all the times they have not known where stuff is, over charged me, had sale signs in front of the wrong item, etc. They have cost me more than $11 guaranteed.

Just bring your receipt and the money and find the lead cashier . The front desk might not even have the supervisor. So just ask for the front end manager.

Ron
I'd bring the receipt and 11.00 to the front service desk. They handle all sorts of transactions. They should be able to easily help with this.

Ron
Good for you for wanting to give the extra money back. Your post was very encouraging this morning. :)

I’m not going to make a special trip or wait in line at a customer service desk because of the store’s mistake. I would call the store to tell them about the error and offer to send a check in the mail to reimburse them.

I’m not going to make a special trip or wait in line at a customer service desk because of the store’s mistake. I would call the store to tell them about the error and offer to send a check in the mail to reimburse them.
:laughing: For me it would be way more trouble to find an envelope and a stamp, and have to hunt for a post box to drop it in. I literally can’t remember the last time I sent anything by snail mail. I do practically all my shopping at “regular” places so it wouldn’t be a hardship to deal with it the next time I was there. I do agree a special trip might not be in order but a phone call ASAP is appropriate.

Just took it back and gave them the receipt
They was very thankful.
I made sure to say that I hope the cashier did not have to pay for it.

Yes I still use cash from time to time

I know it was the cashier fault but it was not my money to keep even though the store could not come after me I have a higher judgment in my life’s end and that’s more then 11.00

Ron

Just took it back and gave them the receipt
They was very thankful.
I made sure to say that I hope the cashier did not have to pay for it.

Yes I still use cash from time to time

I know it was the cashier fault but it was not my money to keep even though the store could not come after me I have a higher judgment in my life’s end and that’s more then 11.00

Ron
:thumbsup2 I admire your integrity; it’s the little things, right? It’s so funny how practically none of us would keep a large amount of money if it mistakenly came our way but we struggle with ourselves over a small sum. And most of us would quickly return to the store if the change had been $11.00 short. You did well and I hope you have a great day! :flower3:

Somewhat related, the other day at our WalMart Neighborhood Market, I went through self check-out. I forgot to take out of the cart my invisible tape (yes, that's true). I got home looked at the receipt and realized I didn't pay for it.

I cut out the UPC on the tape and the next time I shopped there, I gave it to the cashier and explained what happened. She looked at me with shock and thanked me profusely. I just told her that it was the right thing to do. The $.98 was worth much more to me in having integrity.

:laughing: For me it would be way more trouble to find an envelope and a stamp, and have to hunt for a post box to drop it in. I literally can’t remember the last time I sent anything by snail mail. I do practically all my shopping at “regular” places so it wouldn’t be a hardship to deal with it the next time I was there. I do agree a special trip might not be in order but a phone call ASAP is appropriate.

It has been a while since you've mailed something. No need to hunt for a place to mail, wherever you get your mail you can also drop off, whether it's your mailbox, unit. or post office.

It has been a while since you've mailed something. No need to hunt for a place to mail, wherever you get your mail you can also drop off, whether it's your mailbox, unit. or post office.
I was going to say that, too, but maybe it's different in Canada? Maybe they can't put outgoing mail in their mailbox. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter