Cash or CC for tips?

KittyKitty

DIS Veteran
Hi
Which do you do? I'm used to leaving cash, but maybe now the restaurant prefers tips on credit card?

I still leave cash for housekeeping.

It is easier for the restaurant to distribute tips to all the staff when it is on the credit card. With cash tips they will have to break larger bills and such.

I don’t know what the servers/restaurant prefers but I tip with my cc because it’s simple, convenient and I usually don’t carry much cash.

I use cash for housekeeping, bell service and valet but I’d use my credit card if I could. It’s a little bit inconvenient to make sure you have the right combination of smaller bills for tipping.

Severs like cash so they can avoid claiming it and paying taxes and sharing with the back of the house/other servers (if that's done) as well as not paying the credit card portion for it. I generally just pay with my card. I figure we all pay taxes why shouldn't they be paying it too.

These days, we don't generally carry much cash on Disney vacations, and will usually charge our Disney dining to the room - so the tip goes onto the credit card. Then it's all on one bill at the end - a big bill, but one bill! If we have a day we're leaving or moving, I'll make sure I have some cash for room service, bell, etc.

I was wondering the same with the push for cashless payments everywhere. I've stopped carrying cash because of covid and no one wanting to handle cash. I was trying to figure out how to tip this trip.

I always thought since the restaurant has to pay the credit card a certain percentage, then the server would not get the full amount of the tip.

I wonder if it is true.

Meh. The servers may prefer cash but it's still a discretionary thing, so I use my CC. I figure they may prefer a cash tip to a CC tip, but they probably prefer a CC tip to no tip.

I have done both but know that the servers do prefer cash.

The total amount of the bill is what is pending at first but once the charge is posted, it includes the tip on the bill which can take one or two days.

In Florida, front of the house staff who worked under the "tipped employee" can be required to disperse some of their tips to other employees under the "tipped employee" classification. This normally includes bus boys/girls and hostesses. This doesn't include the cooks/line workers.

The bus people are involved in you experience, so the argument that only the server should receive the entire proceeds of your tip is a bit bogus.

In regards to using cash vs credit card. Back in the day there was an incentive for servers, etc to request cash tips for tax purposes. However, now with the newer standard deduction, their isn't really reason to ask for cash vs credit card, other than cheating out some of their support people.

Having said that. For restaurant meals and multiple drinks at a bar , I pay by credit card. For one drink at a bar while waiting for a table, I will use cash if I know the drink price

At home, I try to always tip in cash. At Disney, I just add it to the room charge for the meal because I don't like carrying that much cash.

Hi
Which do you do? I'm used to leaving cash, but maybe now the restaurant prefers tips on credit card?

I still leave cash for housekeeping.
Either is fine. Restaurants don't prefer cc. A tip on a cc requires updating the charge a second time to include the tip. Obviously its done and is routine but it is a little more wprk

A lot of people don't carr cash. If you have enough cash and feel like it top in cash

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter