Cash account

Momma2Jax

DIS Veteran
We leave for Alaska in 3 days!! :)

I have chosen to do a cash account for my ob account, then just check in with it during the cruise. In the documents it said that for a 7 day cruise, we get $500 of "credit" on the account before we have to settle up. My question is, when are gratuities added to your obc? Also, when does palo charge you? Is it feasible that they would all be charged on day 1, meaning I have to settle the account very soon?

The Palo charge is applied after your meal. It would include any wine and extra tip that has been added.

LWQuestie said:
The Palo charge is applied after your meal. It would include any wine and extra tip that has been added.

Okay thanks! That makes sense!

We have not pre-paid tips, does anyone know when those are charged?

I'm not sure. I'd guess on the last day, because the tickets are delivered during that day.

According to posts on DIS and from the letter that's been rec'd in staterooms, gratuities are charged either the first or 2nd day of the cruise.

Gratuities will be charged to your stateroom account on embarkation day.

They will be $12 per person, per night. So a total of $84 per person. You can prepay them to avoid that big charge hitting your account on day 1. If needed, you can adjust the amounts as necessary. Since you'll have cash, I would imagine you wouldn't want to add to them, but you can remove some if needed.

To be clear, you are given the credit (based on length of cruise, in your case $500) over and above anything you pay on the account at check in. SO....if you give them $500 in the terminal, you will have that amount + $500 before you get a notice to please come to guest services. Since you know that tips will be $84 per person and that you plan to go to Palo, you have essentially "spent" $400 at the time of boarding with a family of 4.

We have just found that when a member of our party is using cash, it makes sense to place a deposit on the account at embarkation for the amount they anticipate spending or just a little less. If you deposit more than you spend, it will be refunded in cash at the end of the cruise.

Gratuities are billed on day 1 or 2, but can be adjusted at any time. Palo is billed at the time you actually eat and present your card. Excursions are billed on day 1 if pre-booked, on the day booked if added later. That charge will be adjusted as needed if an excursion is cancelled.

Great! Thanks for the tips! I think I will just hand them at least the amount for tips when I embark, so that I don't have to worry about it for a few days then! We didn't book any port adventures or anything, and our palo isn't until day 6, so we should be good!

Just to follow up: are we able to settle the account when we want to with a debit card, rather than cash? I guess my ultimate goal is to control when my bank account is charged. My thinking is that if I do a cash account, and use the credit line, I can go settle with the debit card when I choose. Am I thinking crazy? ;)

Just to follow up: are we able to settle the account when we want to with a debit card, rather than cash? I guess my ultimate goal is to control when my bank account is charged. My thinking is that if I do a cash account, and use the credit line, I can go settle with the debit card when I choose. Am I thinking crazy? ;)

If you initially list the account as cash, you can go to GS at any time with a credit card, debit card, cash, or other pay source and pay off the account. Just be clear with them that you want to charge the existing balance to the debit card but NOT to place the card on the account. If a card is placed on an account, they will charge it when the account hits a pre-set limit, again based on the length of your cruise. This is usually $500 on a 7 night cruise, up from $400 a couple years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter