Carved Animal Figurines at AK

Taylor'sMom

Wish I was there...
I'm interested in the carved wood animal figurines that you can buy at AK. I seem to recall a small shop in Africa, but maybe they are sold elsewhere in the park also? What I'm wondering...

- Where are they sold?
- Price Range?
- Are they carved on-site or are they just a touristy trinket purchased in bulk?

I have fond memories of some we had in my childhood home and I want to start a collection of my own.

the carved animals can be found in AK, in EPCOT in the Africa section and in the AKL gift shop (just in case you need alternatives). I cannot speak to if they are carved on site, but I can say that I have seen them at other non-Disney touristy places. I haven't bought any in over 10 years, but they were pricey then. They are really beautiful though. I hope you can begin your collection soon.

My kids are obsessed with watching the carvers, and we've bought a couple of animal figures. The carvers have told us on multiple occasions that they carve the majority of the figures. They also make the walking sticks....we watched a carver start one in the morning at Epcot and then saw his progress when we swung trough WS later in the evening. It's really impressive. My son bought an elephant, and I believe it cost around $35. I'd say it's about 3 in x 5 in. If you are looking for something larger, you will pay quite a bit more, but it's handmade.

Thank you for the price point and size, that helps me manage expectations! (or gives me a goal for saving for multiple pieces or something larger).

We sat for an hour or so and spoke to a man from Kenya as he was carving. He carved and finished a cheetah which we bought. He was great and my son got to help. We visited with him the next day at Animal Kingdom. It was a fun experience and one where we slowed down a little.

We sat for an hour or so and spoke to a man from Kenya as he was carving. He carved and finished a cheetah which we bought. He was great and my son got to help. We visited with him the next day at Animal Kingdom. It was a fun experience and one where we slowed down a little.
Was he carving at AK or somewhere else?

We have a carved jaguar that we bought in the gift shop at Jambo the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The carver was from Kenya and was in the gift shop carving several evenings during our stay. We had watched him for several nights before we purchased anything. He talked to us about his craft and his home country.
Our piece is about 12 inches tall and cost around $200.

There is a gift shop on the right side just before you get to Kilimanjaro Safari that has wood carved animals. When you exit safari it will be on your left. It's the biggest shop in the village. The gift shop at Animal Kingdom resort also has many wood animals. I bought a really nice two giraffe sculpture there. It was around $35, but if you shop at Disney that's relative.

We watched a man carve in the Africa section of Epcot. My son bought a small monkey. It was in the $15 - $20 range.

We stop and talk to the gentlemen who do the carving in Animal Kingdom everytime we go. We've been told that the carvings at that stand are done by the Carver and by his family. The ones in the shops are probably not his work. Some pieces yes, but not the majority. He said while he is in FL his family works on pieces, then when he rotates home, he brings the pieces back. Apparently some family members are drawn to carving certain animals.

I'll be honest I assumed everyone stopped to talk, getting to talk to the artist is a real treat. Too, if you don't see the animal you want, ask as he may have one on hand. I get one every trip, though he didnt yet have Painted Wolf figures on our last trip. I'm hoping he adds them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter