Carrying the Magic: Keeper/Band/Card

ArielSparrow

wanderin' free
I am thinking about just using a puck slider on my regular watch instead of a magic band. I was looking at the carabiner listing on ShopDisney and it said

Unlock a day of pure delight with the latest way to personalize your Walt Disney World visit. Simply pop your MagicBand 2 Icon (sold separately) into this MagicKeeper Carabiner accessory to multiply the possibilities of use.

I can't find anything called icon in the shop. Are they saying to buy the regular magic band and pop it out? There's not an option to buy just the puck/icon?

EDIT:
A couple of follow-up questions -
  1. Is the puck removable on the special edition bands as well (so that for future trips, you buy a new plain one and pop it into your special one)?
  2. Is there a benefit to Magic Band over the card beyond the convenience? Does a regular ticket have all the same benefits, the difference being you need a lanyard?

Last edited:
When they use the word “icon,” I assume they are referring to the “puck” portion of a Magic Band, which can be popped out. I have not heard of the puck being sold separately.

I am thinking about just using a puck slider on my regular watch instead of a magic band. I was looking at the carabiner listing on ShopDisney and it said

I can't find anything called icon in the shop. Are they saying to buy the regular magic band and pop it out? There's not an option to buy just the puck/icon?

The physical band has little value, in itself, so the "icon" (puck) is substantially what you are paying for, anyway.

It’s the puck part of the MB. I have a Magic Keeper and I like it. I bought it after losing my MB twice on my last trip...

Okay, so to do the Magic Keeper, I would have to buy that and the Magic Band as well? ($23 total)

It’s the puck part of the MB. I have a Magic Keeper and I like it. I bought it after losing my MB twice on my last trip...

How did you lose it? Did it fall off? I was more concerned about the Magic Keeper falling off whatever I put it on. But I guess that isn't really a risk until it's old and the joints get loose. The whole point of carabiners are they are more secure.

A couple of follow-up questions -
  1. Is the puck removable on the special edition bands as well (so that for future trips, you buy a new plain one and pop it into your special one)?
  2. Is there a benefit to Magic Band over the card beyond the convenience? Does a regular ticket have all the same benefits, the difference being you need a lanyard?

Last edited:
Okay, so to do the Magic Keeper, I would have to buy that and the Magic Band as well? ($23 total)

How did you lose it? Did it fall off? I was more concerned about the Magic Keeper falling off whatever I put it on. But I guess that isn't really a risk until it's old and the joints get loose. The whole point of carabiners are they are more secure.

If you’re staying onsite, the Magic Band is free.

Yes, it fell off. The Magic Keeper has a very sturdy clip. I clipped it to my wristlet and had no issues.

1. Is there a benefit to Magic Band over the card beyond the convenience? Does a regular ticket have all the same benefits, the difference being you need a lanyard?

The card does everything important that a MagicBand does: it'll get you into the park, work for FastPass+, and link PhotoPass photos to your online account.

What it won't do: anything that uses the far-field radio built into the MagicBand. Right now, that's pretty much just the automatic linking of ride photos (and videos, for a few rides) to your Disney account (and to Memory Maker, if you buy that), plus a few places on rides and in queues where your name can show up (e.g. the end of "It's a Small World", and the posters on Expedition Everest).

If you have a MB from a recent trip you can use it again. My MB fell off once in MK last trip but I luckily found it quickly. I’m thinking of getting the magic keeper for my next trip. My DH has the Tiki-tiki MB, not sure if the pucks removable or not though, never tried.

What it won't do: anything that uses the far-field radio built into the MagicBand. Right now, that's pretty much just the automatic linking of ride photos (and videos, for a few rides) to your Disney account (and to Memory Maker, if you buy that), plus a few places on rides and in queues where your name can show up (e.g. the end of "It's a Small World", and the posters on Expedition Everest).

Oh okay that's a convincing enough argument. So now I just have to decide between MB and Keeper. The keychain seems less convenient, but I don't want to lose it. How common is that? Maybe I can put one of those keyfinder tags on it.

Do you already have a puck/icon to put into the keeper? The keeper won't come with one. So if you don't have a magicband 2 yet, you will need to order one if you want to use the keeper.

Do you already have a puck/icon to put into the keeper? The keeper won't come with one. So if you don't have a magicband 2 yet, you will need to order one if you want to use the keeper.

I don't, which was essentially my question. The description mentioned needing to buy the icon separately and I couldn't see a way to do that. However, it appears that what they meant was I need to buy the MagicBand separately.

I don't, which was essentially my question. The description mentioned needing to buy the icon separately and I couldn't see a way to do that. However, it appears that what they meant was I need to buy the MagicBand separately.
Correct-- you'll buy a MagicBand and the keeper separately; the keeper comes with a little screwdriver you'll use to remove the icon from the MagicBand and attach it to the keeper (there are instructions included, but it's not hard).

You can't buy an icon by itself, and you can't buy a keeper (either the carabiner or lanyard one) with an icon included-- you have to buy a MagicBand and take the icon out.

I've also never lost mine, but I've gone with others who have. Many times it seems due to wearing it, resting or moving your wrist against things and having it hit edges of things that eventually tug/loosen the fasteners. It happens. You can always get a plastic card if you really have no idea where you've lost it, but we've always realized it pretty quickly and the cast members have it in safe keeping.

You could also keep it away from contact like that by wearing it around a necklace/lanyard, or keeping it in your pocket/bag. My husband dislikes the feel of it and keeps his in the pocket of his cargo pants.

I have the carabiner keeper, and so do the rest of the family. Most of them clip it to a belt loop, but I clip mine around the strap of my crossbody bag. They have to remove theirs and reclip it every time they tap in for a fast pass but mine will reach without unclipping it.

None of us have ever lost MB, but I prefer to wear a watch and bracelet instead of a wristband, and they don’t like wearing things on their wrists. They used to use cards before the keepers came out for that reason.

Cards and pucks both work, so it’s just what is more convenient for you.

I have never lost or had my band fall off my wrist. I now use the carabiner Minnie head attached to my wristlet and have never had a problem with that. the only reason i stopped using the wrist band is because i got a apple watch and didn't like have two things on my wrist.

I'm not sure about the general consensus, but I've never lost my MagicBand. I've gone on three trips using one, and never once had an issue with it falling off, or even becoming loose on me.

Lost it in pool Nothing fancy - just wading around. Someone found it immediately and turned it over to a lifeguard. It was in their hand as I realized it was gone

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter