Carrying on luggage

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever brought their luggage onboard with them when they walked on the ship ?
We’ve only brought carryons in the past. But this time we’re thinking about each bringing a carryon and a medium suitcase. We’re platinum and can board anytime. Think we’ll wait until 1:00 when the rooms are ready.

Can't do it. Any bag you carry on can be no larger than 22"x14"x9". It needs to fit through the port terminal scanner checkpoint.

We have carried our 3 suitcases on at least 15 times, plus carryon's and backpacks. The largest we take now is 16"x23"x9". But we used to take a larger one. No problem. The scanner is pretty large.

We have walked on and off with our bags. They were not huge suitcases, as we did not want to wrangle those. Not an issue and quite convenient when you can manage it. We arrived at port around 1pm, checked in, went straight to the room, was 1:30pm by then. Dropped bags, unpacked, straight to lunch. Departure day, up for breakfast at cabanas, straight off to customs, no searching for luggage. Worked great! Not sure about dimensions of the scanner. Check into that if it is important that your bag stays with you.

Piggy-backing if I may?

In Feb I have DCL transfers from AOA (solo, cheapest way). I will only have a carry-on. Can I just take it with me under the bus rather than having it picked up? And is there a way to notify them that I do not need luggage pick-up other than putting a note on the door?

The bag scanning machine is about the size of the one at the airport. Your bag has to fit in the machine. We were in line at PC recently and they had several people get out of line and go back down to check the bag on the curb.

In Feb I have DCL transfers from AOA (solo, cheapest way). I will only have a carry-on. Can I just take it with me under the bus rather than having it picked up? And i

You can carry your bags onto the bus, no matter the size. You can check it at the port when you get there, if necessary. Some people do that probably out of fear of bags getting lost. You could call the DCL rep to tell them not to pick up the bags in your room, but I would put a note as well.

You can carry your bags onto the bus, no matter the size. You can check it at the port when you get there, if necessary. Some people do that probably out of fear of bags getting lost. You could call the DCL rep to tell them not to pick up the bags in your room, but I would put a note as well.

Thanks! Mine is more that I would just rather go to my cabin ASAP and settle in than fear of it being lost.

As long as you are using smaller suitcases, you will be just fine. We carry our smaller ones on the ships all the time. If you are using a larger one, you will have to check it.

It may vary by port. I've taken a medium 25" spinner bag on in Galveston that fits through the scanner just fine. I've done this multiple times and knew it fit, so when someone tried to stop me outside last time and tried to tell me to take it to the porter, I told them I knew that it fit and they let me take it through - and of course, it did fit and wasn't questioned at all at the scanner. Would be good to know for sure about Port Canaveral too, but I can't recall for sure because I've only tried taking the smaller size there.

Quoted the wrong person.

I would hope it would be one suit case per person...you would be really holding up the line if it wasn’t, which is kind of rude.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter