Carrying on alcohol

DisneyKeepsUsYoung

Mouseketeer
I have read the alcohol policy but I don't know the best way to execute it. How to people best physically carry the alcohol? We will have 3 adults so 3 6 packs of beer but also 3 small children. I see we don't have access to our room right away so I don't know the best way to tote around that much beer comfortably without worrying about it breaking and chase 3 kids around. I'd love to hear you experienced cruisers expert tips.

I put it in a roller carry on bag. Have one adult responsible for that bag and the other two adults can be responsible for the 3 kids. One thing you may want to consider is not planning to get to the port until later, say 12:30 or 1:00. By the time you get through security, checked in, and boarded, there won't be much time left before your room is ready. Staterooms are usually available at 1:30. Board and grab some lunch at the MDR or Cabanas, then you can proceed directly to your stateroom.

I put it in a roller carry on bag. Have one adult responsible for that bag and the other two adults can be responsible for the 3 kids. One thing you may want to consider is not planning to get to the port until later, say 12:30 or 1:00. By the time you get through security, checked in, and boarded, there won't be much time left before your room is ready. Staterooms are usually available at 1:30. Board and grab some lunch at the MDR or Cabanas, then you can proceed directly to your stateroom.
Do you pad it some way? We prefer bottles over cans so I'm not picturing how to put 18 glass bottles in a suitcase and not have them break.

I think we got a port arrival time of 12:30 so good to know the rooms will be ready not too much later.

Do you pad it some way? We prefer bottles over cans so I'm not picturing how to put 18 glass bottles in a suitcase and not have them break.

I think we got a port arrival time of 12:30 so good to know the rooms will be ready not too much later.

I usually am only carrying on wine, and the one time I carried on beer it was one six pack for my dad and 1 bottle of wine for me (short 3 night cruise so I didn't want 2 bottles of wine). I do have some clothing in there that will pad the bottles, but I don't deliberately arrange them so they are all protected. Most beer bottles are thick enough to handle a little clanking and it's not like you will be tossing the roller bag around. Regular movement of the bag should be gentle enough that it won't cause the bottles to break.

We use a rolling backpack. We have 3 cabins this weekend and will use 3 rolling backpacks/totes. We also carryon bottle water. Just put something between the wine bottles so they don’t clink.

I routineley pack beer and wine in checked lugage for airline travel. You carrying it on the ship isn't a tough call at all. I'll usually toss them into a plastic bag to contain any potential leaks, and then just pack clothes or other things around them. Just be aware of Disney's cooler policy!

I routineley pack beer and wine in checked lugage for airline travel. You carrying it on the ship isn't a tough call at all. I'll usually toss them into a plastic bag to contain any potential leaks, and then just pack clothes or other things around them. Just be aware of Disney's cooler policy!

And be aware that if your illegally packed in DCL checked bags leaks and damages someone else’s stuff, YOU will be responsible for repair or replacement costs.

And be aware that if your illegally packed in DCL checked bags leaks and damages someone else’s stuff, YOU will be responsible for repair or replacement costs.
No doubt! Not to mention they'll probably take it since they won't know if you also carried on some too, thus exceeding your allowance. As I mentioned, I pack for airline travel which should see more bumps and bruises than someone hand carrying their stuff onto the ship

No doubt! Not to mention they'll probably take it since they won't know if you also carried on some too, thus exceeding your allowance. As I mentioned, I pack for airline travel which should see more bumps and bruises than someone hand carrying their stuff onto the ship

True. I use the Trader Joe's Wine Shop bags to carry mine on board.

@PrincessShmoo has a pic of the baggage pile-up in case any newcomers think they'll get around it by packing it in their checked bag given to the cruise porters. (And yes, the same applies to packages of water - which the porters will gladly slap a tag on as they want a tip, but it is not supposed to be allowed.)

Thanks! What is their cooler policy? I haven't seen anything about coolers for DCL.

I packed 14 bottles of wine in a small roll-on suitcase full of bubble wrap and tissue paper. My BIL/SIL drove it down from Virginia and we all met at the port. Easy to roll through the ship until we could check into our rooms.

We put cans in a soft lunch box and put that inside our carry on suitcase. For the bottles, you could get insulated tote, and keep the bottles in the 6 pack holder if you can or just put some thin bubble wrap between the bottles, then put that inside your carry-on suitcase. Not sure how you are arriving, but if you are driving in, they should stay pretty secure.

DH and I have a problem getting our beer OFF the ship. On western cruises we stock up on beers in Mexico and Grand Cayman. Last cruise we packed a portable hand truck and filled cooler bags with the beer, then piled the suitcases on first and the beer and other stuff and secured with bungees to get off the ship.

where do u get beer on Grand Cayman,? the brewery is closed Dec 24th, is there any place close to where we get off the tender

where do u get beer on Grand Cayman,? the brewery is closed Dec 24th, is there any place close to where we get off the tender

I am sorry you will miss the brewery. It is our first stop when we go to Grand Cayman. The duty free shop just outside the port (the small one with the indian outside - not the main one you can access from inside the port) sells Caybrew. I think the main duty free sells it too - but I have only purchased liquor from that store so I can't be 100% positive. I haven't bought from them lately as we buy it at the brewery to know what they carry, but they did carry several of their beers. Last time we were there they did not have things like Mango Tango which is my favorite, but they did have Ironhorse, 345 stout and the main stay Caybrew Lagers. There is a bar if you turn right outside the port that serves their beers on tap - but be prepared, it will cost you a pretty penny = If memory serve me correctly it was $25 US for 2 pints and a tip.

And if you like craft beer, when you go to Cozumel walk down to Mega. They have a unique selection of Russian, eastern European beers in bottles. Just be careful - last time we were there they wouldn't let us buy beer until after 10 or 10:30. We ended up wandering around the store for 45 minutes waiting to pay. That was new this year.

I am sorry you will miss the brewery. It is our first stop when we go to Grand Cayman. The duty free shop just outside the port (the small one with the indian outside - not the main one you can access from inside the port) sells Caybrew. I think the main duty free sells it too - but I have only purchased liquor from that store so I can't be 100% positive. I haven't bought from them lately as we buy it at the brewery to know what they carry, but they did carry several of their beers. Last time we were there they did not have things like Mango Tango which is my favorite, but they did have Ironhorse, 345 stout and the main stay Caybrew Lagers. There is a bar if you turn right outside the port that serves their beers on tap - but be prepared, it will cost you a pretty penny = If memory serve me correctly it was $25 US for 2 pints and a tip.

And if you like craft beer, when you go to Cozumel walk down to Mega. They have a unique selection of Russian, eastern European beers in bottles. Just be careful - last time we were there they wouldn't let us buy beer until after 10 or 10:30. We ended up wandering around the store for 45 minutes waiting to pay. That was new this year.
Thank you for all the information, I printed out your recommendations and will take with me. We have four adults, so will be able to take back four 6packs, or some combination of 24 beers.

Last edited:
Thanks! What is their cooler policy? I haven't seen anything about coolers for DCL.
[Link] Coolers no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" [30.5cm x 30.5cm x 30.5cm], as carry-on luggage only for storing medications, baby food or items related to dietary restrictions only.
The only other exception to this is when you return from Castaway Cay. They sell Disney coolers on the beach with water and beer. You can bring those coolers back, loaded or not. You CANNOT bring that same cooler onboard during future cruises.

Thank you for all the information, I printed out your recommendations and will take with me. We have for adults, so will be able to take back four 6packs, or some combination of 24 beers.
Just a side note... You can bring back more than DCL allows you to carry on. They'll store it for you until the end of cruise for you to pick up the last morning on deck 3. Just remember if you are doing the airline program where they take your luggage from you the night before, you can't pack alcohol in a suitcase that is already on its way to the airport!

Thank you for all the information, I printed out your recommendations and will take with me. We have for adults, so will be able to take back four 6packs, or some combination of 24 beers.
You can bring back a six pack per person, per port to enjoy in your room. You are not necessarily limited to bring that much back on like @Quellman said DH and I took off over a case last trip. Purchase shelf beer (rather than cooler kept) if you go over the 6 pack per person that way they can put it with the liquor and you pick it up on the last day (if they take it).

And we got the hand card at harbor freight tool for less than $30 and it fit perfectly in our full size suitcase. It made a HUGE difference getting off the ship. Carrying beer in tote bags on your shoulder is not fun.

thank you! you can also get on and off the ship more then once at each port and bring beer or wine on each time, not at all convenient when tendering, but some other ports it easier to get to duty free shop, There is an entire discussion on this on one of these threads.
we fly so we basically only buy what we consume on the ship

[Link] Coolers no larger than 12" x 12" x 12" [30.5cm x 30.5cm x 30.5cm], as carry-on luggage only for storing medications, baby food or items related to dietary restrictions only.
The only other exception to this is when you return from Castaway Cay. They sell Disney coolers on the beach with water and beer. You can bring those coolers back, loaded or not. You CANNOT bring that same cooler onboard during future cruises.

Just a side note... You can bring back more than DCL allows you to carry on. They'll store it for you until the end of cruise for you to pick up the last morning on deck 3. Just remember if you are doing the airline program where they take your luggage from you the night before, you can't pack alcohol in a suitcase that is already on its way to the airport!
why can't you bring a cooler bag that you bought on a previous cruise, on another future cruise?
I have a nice navy, cylinder shaped one that I bought on a Disney cruise, says dcl, it Has been on several cruises with me,

why can't you bring a cooler bag that you bought on a previous cruise, on another future cruise?
I have a nice navy, cylinder shaped one that I bought on a Disney cruise, says dcl, it Has been on several cruises with me,

My son-in-law has that one and brings it back every cruise. Never thought it might be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter