• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Carry on suitcases - embarkation

GirlfromTN

DIS Veteran
I’m going on the Magic next week, and since it is just my son and I we only have a small carry on suitcase each. I am bringing a bottle of wine and would prefer to just keep my carry on suitcase with me rather than bring a separate bag for the wine, since the wine has to be carried on. I think I can keep the carry on suitcase with me through security, but haven’t ever tried before bc we have always had bigger luggage that we check with the porters. I am fine keeping the carry on suitcase with me for a couple of hours until we can get into our rooms, but does anyone have experience bringing a carry on size (around 20 inches) through security at the port? Is it allowed? When we go to lunch after boarding could we bring it with us or maybe we would have to leave it outside the restaurant? I’m fine with checking it if required, just not sure what the rules are.

I’m going on the Magic next week, and since it is just my son and I we only have a small carry on suitcase each. I am bringing a bottle of wine and would prefer to just keep my carry on suitcase with me rather than bring a separate bag for the wine, since the wine has to be carried on. I think I can keep the carry on suitcase with me through security, but haven’t ever tried before bc we have always had bigger luggage that we check with the porters. I am fine keeping the carry on suitcase with me for a couple of hours until we can get into our rooms, but does anyone have experience bringing a carry on size (around 20 inches) through security at the port? Is it allowed? When we go to lunch after boarding could we bring it with us or maybe we would have to leave it outside the restaurant? I’m fine with checking it if required, just not sure what the rules are.
If it will fit through the scanners (airport type scanners) then you certainly may bring it aboard with you. You will be responsible for it until your room is available. I, personally, would not leave it alone, outside the dining room.

If your carry-on fits on a plane, it should fit through the scanner at the cruise terminal. My family always brings our carry-on bags with us to lunch and tucks them under or next to our table.

We routinely have a carry-on size roller bag with a backpack stacked on top using a clever strap we purchased from Amazon. We always take these to the table in the MDR when we go to embarkation lunch and again for debarkation breakfast. Although others may be comfortable leaving their bags outside the restaurant, we are not. We have things in these bags that we would never put in checked luggage (electronics, prescription meds) and so prefer to keep them in our possession, just as we do when flying. The crew members working the MDR check in podium have never objected to our rolling them to our table.

Last several cruises we have done carry-ons. If they fit in the airport scanner, they will fit at the port. We keep them with us. It sort of nice that when the rooms open, you already have your bag and can unpack and explore immediately.

I’m sure the carryon bags will be fine to get onto the ship. We always just find a table outside by the cove pool, dump all our bags and then the 4 of us head different places for lunch. Some go to cabanas. I prefer something from the grill or a wrap and a salad. Then I hit the cove pool. I’ve never felt uncomfortable leaving our bags and have never had an issue. It would never occur to me to drag them around everywhere. And we have electronics, medication, etc in them. But everyone feels differently.

Love roller carry-on baggage. Better than lugging around a backpack and the carry-on fits nicely under the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter