Carry-on bags while waiting for cabin to be ready

JennLynn

Earning My Ears
I'll be travelling with my DD (9)on the Disney Dream on July 4th on our first cruise. We'd love to get to port early and get on board and enjoy the pool/aquaduck before our room would be ready but with just the 2 of us, what do we do with our carry-on bag while we are doing this. It will of course have the laptop, purse, etc. in it and I'll have no one else to keep eyes on it. Is there anyway to secure it somewhere or will I have to wait until I can get into our cabin?

Thanks for any help :thumbsup2

Why would you have your laptop and purse in your carry on? We always just take the things we will need to board the ship, and things like medicine, sunscreen, essentials for a few hours. We always leave our bags on our chair and has never been a problem. Not that that would always be the case, but we have never had anyone mess with our things. The one expensive thing I do have in my bag is my camera, and would be distraught if it was stolen, but I don't let that stop me from having fun with my family. Good luck on your first cruise.

My guess is op is traveling by plane and might have those items on his/her person because of that. So where do you put your bags for safe keeping?

No one knows what you have in your carry on bag, and at embarkation everyone's focused on food and fun, and how to manage their OWN stuff. Just pile it on a chair near the pool.

I'm coming from a Resort but maybe I'm overly cautious. I'm not willing to put anything valuable/breakable in my big suitcase that is not going to be with me the whole time. I understood that my suitcase would be taken and I would get it later on in the cabin.

We usually grab a couple beers (drinks-whatever your pleasure) and let the kids go in the pool while we hang back with the stuff and watch the kids. It's crazy in the pools in that time frame between getting on, and waiting for the room.
We usually put everything we need to carry on in one roller bag. (and there are 4 of us) including our laptop :) We keep all our fragile stuff with us.
So you could just let her jump in the pool for a little bit and maybe chat with a few kids while you get yourself a cocktail and chat with a couple adults ;)

Just an idea--works for us!

I don't know about you all, but my laptop is issued by my employer and letting out of my possession and having it damaged or stolen is "career limiting".

If you need your laptop on the cruise, I totally understand that you need to have it with you at all times. I would not leave it on a chair. There are thieves everywhere. And accidents happen everywhere too - do laptops float ;)? I think you may need to stay dry with your bag while your son swims, or you could get lunch first and then drop the bag a soon as the rooms are available.

I don't know of any place where you can store your valuables other than your room. And also - I would keep the laptop in the room safe when you are not using it.

I had the same dilemma last cruise as I was alone with DD (age 7). I ended up getting a lounge chair by the pool, and was comfortable with her going in the water herself as I could see her. She quickly made a new friend and had fun. When DH was with us we were able to do the aquaduck right away and just take turns with the belongings, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that and leaving my purse, passports, etc.

If you are in concierge, you can leave your carry ons in the concierge lounge or reception area (they will watch the stuff for you). Otherwise, I wouldn't leave expensive stuff sitting around on the deck while I was in line for the Duck! If you are a 2 parent family, have one parent take the kid(s) while the other guards the stuff. Otherwise, wait till you can put your valuables in your stateroom.

No, it isn't likely that someone will mess with your stuff, but.....

By the time you've had lunch, there isn't much down time till you can get into your stateroom. Check out midship detective agency, or let the kids swim while you are near the pool watching....or explore the ship.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll let her swim or we explore rather than taking any risks.

I appreciate the help!

what do we do with our carry-on bag while we are doing this. It will of course have the laptop, purse, etc. in it and I'll have no one else to keep eyes on it. Is there anyway to secure it somewhere or will I have to wait until I can get into our cabin?

Thanks for any help :thumbsup2

Why would you have your laptop and purse in your carry on?
Strange reply.:sad2:

I would never put my laptop in a checked in suitcase - it could get smashed or stolen. And the airlines recommend certain valuables and medications etc be kept in your carryon.
Now maybe guest services would be able to take care of your valuables while you swim. No harm in asking.:idea:

My 3 brothers had a rolling bag and we brought a stroller to put some stuff in lol :thumbsup2 I put all my bags on my rolling bag and we aye lunch. By the time we were done our rooms were ready (there were 10 of us in our group) so we were able to unpack! :-) :hippie:

How about a locking tote bag. Several people on the DIS have these and have mentioned how great they are. http://www.kyssbags.com/

BTW, never pack your laptop in your checked luggage. They throw bags around and pile them high on top of each other. I've seen pictures...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter