CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were bummed when we found out Matt was not going to be on our 2nd Vista Cruise, we loved him on our first. We were shocked that we liked the Flying Scotsman more than him, but my teenage daughter still thinks Matt is “way hotter!”

I had Schwartz on the Vista and he was great.

I only heard great reviews regarding the Flying Scotsman.

I have never heard of the two next CD I will have on the Victory & Sensation but I'm open minded.

Fun fact: I did not give a damn about CDs before I sailed with Carnival. Now I see them as an added value.

We did that itinerary on Breeze. It is wonderful. We've been to St Maarten twice and it's one of our favorites along with San Juan.

I tried searching so if you already posted about the Breeze sorry for asking again but what did you think of it? It leaves out of PC in Dec and I am strongly considering it. Our youngest is 9 and oldest is 17. For price in Dec, there isn’t even a comparasion between the Breeze and Fantasy as you can imagine! My DH and I have sailed on carnival before, pre- kids so it was a long time ago! We are not big food people, so I am more looking at the things to do- waterslides, shows, etc on the ship. TIA!!

Yes, we did. We found a Southern itinerary for 2019 that sounds amazing... So amazing that we lost interest for the Bermuda a little bit. The fact that longer Oasis class cruises were cheaper than cruises on the Anthem played a role in our decision as well.

We decided to invest the money for the Southern Caribbean itinerary for March 2019 and then pick a more affordable cruise for October 2018 instead.

There was two other options that were on our bucket list: A southern with Aruba/Curaçao or Half Moon Cay & Grand Turk.

HMC & GT was quite cheap. The total including taxes was 422$/pp for 5 nights, so we decided to book that one.

If the TA is more interesting and cheaper, I say: go for it. Ireland looks amazing.

DH and I always try to put one land trips or getaway between cruises. We used to do WDW but we needed a break.

Last year, we went for a week-end in NYC, then a Kingston/Niagara Fall/Niagara-on-the-Lake/Toronto getaway.

Someday, I would like to see Washington/Philadelphia... Dublin & Cork, Reikjavik, London or Paris. :)
That's a good strategy. The four of us cruised out NYC in November. We had a blast the three days we were NYC. It didn't hurt that my MIL comped us a suite in times square. My older son loved NYC wants to move there. The cruise was just meh for him. My younger son was like "get me out of this crazy city and on to a boat". Total opposites.

I was just cold. I don't know how you guys live in that cold weather, but now I understand why so many people love the Caribbean.

I tried searching so if you already posted about the Breeze sorry for asking again but what did you think of it? It leaves out of PC in Dec and I am strongly considering it. Our youngest is 9 and oldest is 17. For price in Dec, there isn’t even a comparasion between the Breeze and Fantasy as you can imagine! My DH and I have sailed on carnival before, pre- kids so it was a long time ago! We are not big food people, so I am more looking at the things to do- waterslides, shows, etc on the ship. TIA!!
We haven't been on the Breeze, but we have been on the Vista which is great. Most people I have spoken with say the Breeze is their favorite ccl ship. Apparently the layout and flow of the ship just really work. It also has almost everything the Vista has in terms of things to do/entertainment.

Last edited:

The Breeze is my absolute favorite and if wasn't in Galveston we would have sailed it instead of Vista again. The ropes course is so much fun and of course the waterslides. We like the layout of the ship. If your kids love burgers then Guy's is the place for them. I usually find out my teens have had one about 4 and then aren't hungry when we get to dinner. I adore the tacos for lunch and have them everyday pretty much. I usually go to the aft pool because it's a bit more quiet without the Lido bigscreen and music. The pool is a bit less crowded too. It's just a great ship for families.

That's a good strategy. The four of us cruised out NYC in November. We had a blast the three days we were NYC. It didn't hurt that my MIL comped us a suite in times square. My older son loved NYC wants to move there. The cruise was just meh for him. My younger son was like "get me out of this crazy city and on to a boat". Total opposites.

I was just cold. I don't know how you guys live in that cold weather, but now I understand why so many people love the Caribbean.

You would probably not like living in Canada. NYC is not that cold in November compared to winter (And Canada is even colder). Not gonna lie, we hate winter but free healthcare is the main reason we stay in Canada (that and because this part of Canada is very safe too).

We have a lot of snowbirds here. They spend winter in Florida (they stay as long as they can without losing Canadian's Healthcare) and they create small communities over there.

As you can imagine, all-included vacation in Caribbean resorts are extremely popular too! :beach:

And now you all understand why my husband refuses to go on a Alaska cruise. :P

The Breeze is my absolute favorite and if wasn't in Galveston we would have sailed it instead of Vista again. The ropes course is so much fun and of course the waterslides. We like the layout of the ship. If your kids love burgers then Guy's is the place for them. I usually find out my teens have had one about 4 and then aren't hungry when we get to dinner. I adore the tacos for lunch and have them everyday pretty much. I usually go to the aft pool because it's a bit more quiet without the Lido bigscreen and music. The pool is a bit less crowded too. It's just a great ship for families.

Tried the rope course on the Vista. Never been so terrified... :rotfl2: My husband still jokes about it. I have a weak knee since we've been hit by a car while crossing the street. Seems like my muscles are not quite strong enough yet. :rotfl:

Tried the rope course on the Vista. Never been so terrified... :rotfl2: My husband still jokes about it. I have a weak knee since we've been hit by a car while crossing the street. Seems like my muscles are not quite strong enough yet. :rotfl:

The ropes course on Vista is a lot more difficult. I had no problems on Breeze and could not finish Vista (I had to be "rescued"). I am so ashamed :( I asked the person working the course and she said, that yes, they did design it to be harder. Such a shame because I enjoy doing stuff like that but I am short and a bit fluffy and middle-aged!

Dear members of this thread: please take note that I have just added a "Private Islands" of Carnival section.

I added a little informations regarding Half Moon Cay!

... And also Princess Cays since some of Carnival sailings stop at this port.

I will add pictures as soon as someone post pictures of Half Moon Cay!

If hurricane season takes her chamomile, DH and I should visit Half Moon Cay in October and I will bring back some pictures and informations as well.

The ropes course on Vista is a lot more difficult. I had no problems on Breeze and could not finish Vista (I had to be "rescued"). I am so ashamed :( I asked the person working the course and she said, that yes, they did design it to be harder. Such a shame because I enjoy doing stuff like that but I am short and a bit fluffy and middle-aged!

No worries. I've been swearing all along (in french, so it was okay for the kids around LOL) ... The worst thing is I took the easiest path. :rotfl2:

It looks like from your ticker you've changed a few of your plans. I have too. I think I'm going to do the TA over Quebec. I'll get see Ireland and Northern Canada. Halifax, Sydney and New Brunswick. Longer cruise for about the same amount of money. I'm a little nervous about weather and sad about Quebec, but it's a great itinerary.

I've been checking out ABD for 2019 or 20120. Wow this make DCL look cheap. It seems like an amazing way to see China though. Thinking about it, but lots of money. I'm starting to get a little burnt out on cruising and I'm looking for something new to do. I guess that's understandable considering the number of cruises I've been on.

If I ever do go back to the Caribbean it's going to be in Havana Cabana or the Haven. Those are on my bucket list.
We have also been looking into a transatlantic cruise. Unfortunately, we started to make plans too late and my DH needs more lead time to take 3 weeks off: two weeks for the cruise and another week in Europe. The DCL Magic TA looks amazing! I've always wanted to visit Halifax. I've been to Scotland and the landscape looks very similar. I also want to visit Ireland. But ... that cruise is totally out of my price range.

I think we'll probably end up with a TA next spring on Royal or Norwegian. The pricing is pretty close between RCCL and NCL "Sail Away" pricing and then adding the free drinks package costs only $20-$40 more per person per day and with sooooo many sea days I would come out ahead while the regularly priced drink packages don't even come close to breaking even. I had been pricing this spring until my DH told me that he couldn't take that much time off and we could be on a TA from Tampa to Barcelona on Rhapsody of the Seas for about $1600 for 14 days in May for BOTH of us in an outside cabin. It was $2300 on the NCL Jade for 13 days in April with free drinks and specialty dining. I'm sure that prices have changed a bit since I stopped tracking :). In any case, I'm looking at Spring 2019 now and I think that we'll go south to Italy instead of London. We've never been to Spain or Italy so I'd probably be able to visit both on the same trip.

BTW, we went to China in 2007 and it was AMAZING. We are not "tour" people so we did everything ourselves. We visited Hong Kong (and Disneyland), Beijing, then off to Japan and Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama and Toyko Disneyland. We saw a lot in China on our own but I do regret not having the time to see the terracotta warriors in Xi'an.

ETA: In the meantime, we're looking at a 5-7 day Carnival or RCCL cruise in April. I'm a last minute planner when it comes to most of my cruising :). So, that's why I'm posting and reading on the thread.

You would probably not like living in Canada. NYC is not that cold in November compared to winter (And Canada is even colder). Not gonna lie, we hate winter but free healthcare is the main reason we stay in Canada (that and because this part of Canada is very safe too).

We have a lot of snowbirds here. They spend winter in Florida (they stay as long as they can without losing Canadian's Healthcare) and they create small communities over there.

As you can imagine, all-included vacation in Caribbean resorts are extremely popular too! :beach:

And now you all understand why my husband refuses to go on a Alaska cruise. :P
Don't you pay really high taxes for that "free healthcare".
Anything under 60 is too cold for me.
We have a lot of Canadian snowbirds here too. Some buy homes. Some come in RVS. It probably depend s on which side of Canada you live in wether you go to Florida or Arizona.

We have also been looking into a transatlantic cruise. Unfortunately, we started to make plans too late and my DH needs more lead time to take 3 weeks off: two weeks for the cruise and another week in Europe. The DCL Magic TA looks amazing! I've always wanted to visit Halifax. I've been to Scotland and the landscape looks very similar. I also want to visit Ireland. But ... that cruise is totally out of my price range.

I think we'll probably end up with a TA next spring on Royal or Norwegian. The pricing is pretty close between RCCL and NCL "Sail Away" pricing and then adding the free drinks package costs only $20-$40 more per person per day and with sooooo many sea days I would come out ahead while the regularly priced drink packages don't even come close to breaking even. I had been pricing this spring until my DH told me that he couldn't take that much time off and we could be on a TA from Tampa to Barcelona on Rhapsody of the Seas for about $1600 for 14 days in May for BOTH of us in an outside cabin. It was $2300 on the NCL Jade for 13 days in April with free drinks and specialty dining. I'm sure that prices have changed a bit since I stopped tracking :). In any case, I'm looking at Spring 2019 now and I think that we'll go south to Italy instead of London. We've never been to Spain or Italy so I'd probably be able to visit both on the same trip.

BTW, we went to China in 2007 and it was AMAZING. We are not "tour" people so we did everything ourselves. We visited Hong Kong (and Disneyland), Beijing, then off to Japan and Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama and Toyko Disneyland. We saw a lot in China on our own but I do regret not having the time to see the terracotta warriors in Xi'an.

ETA: In the meantime, we're looking at a 5-7 day Carnival or RCCL cruise in April. I'm a last minute planner when it comes to most of my cruising :). So, that's why I'm posting and reading on the thread.
Your China trips sounds amazing. There's only one other person in my family that wants to do this. I'm not a tour person but it sounds so much easier doing ABD. Cost wise I'm not sure, but it does include the flights around Asia and they put you up in some swanky hotels like the Ritz.
I'm a last minute planner and a changer. I keep looking at the IGT rate on the TA in May and thinking maybe I should move my WDW trip to Sept.

The TA is cheaper in May then September and WDW is cheaper in Sept then April, but wow that's a lot of sea days. 6 in a row. I might lose my mind. The ports are pretty awesome though.

Your China trips sounds amazing. There's only one other person in my family that wants to do this. I'm not a tour person but it sounds so much easier doing ABD. Cost wise I'm not sure, but it does include the flights around Asia and they put you up in some swanky hotels like the Ritz.
I stayed, no kidding, at the Holiday Inn Haidain in Beijing and it was wonderful. I think we paid less than $90 per night in USD. We had an amazing concierge that arranged for private tours, including a private car to the Great Wall and back for less than $80 and a private dinner for our anniversary complete with authentic folk singers for less than $100. It was off the beaten path and we did have to taxi or subway everywhere but that was OK. We also stayed at the Conrad in Hong Kong on points. Wowsa! My DH is Hilton Diamond and we were upgraded to the executive floor. It was probably the "swankiest" hotel I've ever been to.

Don't you pay really high taxes for that "free healthcare".
Anything under 60 is too cold for me.
We have a lot of Canadian snowbirds here too. Some buy homes. Some come in RVS. It probably depend s on which side of Canada you live in wether you go to Florida or Arizona.

That question is not easy to answer as I am not an expert in taxes... But, here's what I understand:

Just like in the US, not everyone pays the same amount of taxes. If I am not mistaken U.S. tax brackets range from 10% to 35% for individuals? --Please correct me if I am wrong! --. In Canada, the range goes from 15% to 33%. Each year, the government of each province decides how much of that tax money will go into health care. I see it as a collective effort.

When my mom had bone cancer her chemo at 90 000$ per week had absolutely no impact on her budget. Like, outside of the taxes taken from her paycheck (like everybody else), she paid 0$.

So, last year, I paid around 8000$ in taxes. Not sure how much of this 8000$ went for health care, tbh. But if the most part of my 8000$ helps paying to cure someone's cancer, or hearth surgery or baby delivery, I'm very proud to contribute. ::yes:: (p.s.: I know my vision is not very popular as people don't like to pay taxes... but... I like to contribute to the wellness of others as much as I can...)

BTW, we went to China in 2007 and it was AMAZING. We are not "tour" people so we did everything ourselves. We visited Hong Kong (and Disneyland), Beijing, then off to Japan and Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama and Toyko Disneyland. We saw a lot in China on our own but I do regret not having the time to see the terracotta warriors in Xi'an..

Did you do this via a cruise, or all on your own? We are thinking of a Princess cruise in 2020 wihch covers all the ports you mentioned, and then some extra days in Toyko.

Did you do this via a cruise, or all on your own? We are thinking of a Princess cruise in 2020 wihch covers all the ports you mentioned, and then some extra days in Toyko.
Sorry to be confusing. It was on our own but a cruise in Asia would be wonderful!

Sorry to be confusing. It was on our own but a cruise in Asia would be wonderful!

I was thinking it might work better for us with my husband's mobility issues, rather than try to get around 2-3 countries on our own. If you have any tips though, I'll gladly take them ;)

That question is not easy to answer as I am not an expert in taxes... But, here's what I understand:

Just like in the US, not everyone pays the same amount of taxes. If I am not mistaken U.S. tax brackets range from 10% to 35% for individuals? --Please correct me if I am wrong! --. In Canada, the range goes from 15% to 33%. Each year, the government of each province decides how much of that tax money will go into health care. I see it as a collective effort.

When my mom had bone cancer her chemo at 90 000$ per week had absolutely no impact on her budget. Like, outside of the taxes taken from her paycheck (like everybody else), she paid 0$.

So, last year, I paid around 8000$ in taxes. Not sure how much of this 8000$ went for health care, tbh. But if the most part of my 8000$ helps paying to cure someone's cancer, or hearth surgery or baby delivery, I'm very proud to contribute. ::yes:: (p.s.: I know my vision is not very popular as people don't like to pay taxes... but... I like to contribute to the wellness of others as much as I can...)

Interesting. The tax brackets are 0% to 35%, Someone that is in the 25% bracket may have enough right offs that they are only paying 5-10% fed income tax, but then we have SS tax and property taxes. Some people pay nothing. It's kind of a weird system.

We pay around 4k a year for health insurance for the 4 of us. Of course our employer pays the rest.

Well anyway your tax rate doesn't sound so bad. I was curious because I overhead some Canadians complaining about it on our last cruise. They were from Toronto. I guess the cost of living and taxes are pretty high there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter