CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a thread on CC with a like to John Heald's blog about some passengers who missed the port in Belize. Can I post a link here? It struck a nerve because we barely made the Belieze tender back to the ship. We took a private excursion with cavetubing.bz and returned to port at 4:30! The excursion was supposed to be back at the port around 2pm. The excursion was good, but logistics awful. They were shuttling different groups around and consolidating them in buses. Our bus ended up waiting for quite a while for another group that went ziplining. We went tubing. The company is rated very highly on TripAdvisor-- I think we just got unlucky. My only comfort was that the bus was full of other Carnival Dream passengers, so we figured the ship might wait if we were late. It's the only time we have cut it close at a port.

We used them as well in April. I was worried but had also read many reviews, on CC as well. We only did cavetubing, I thought it was supposed to be shorter than if we added on the other options but they grouped every body for the shuttles so instead of getting back earlier and having time to shop we got back, made a quick stop to get a magnet and then on to the tender. It was stressful to me. While we did the hike through the woods we learned a lot about the rain forest, but it felt a little stretched to me, enough talking, lets get to the caves! I didn't realize how the tour worked, that they would be consolidating the tours like that.

Well, back to real life today (i.e. work). Here is my short review.

Ship: Carnival Triumph

Good:
Crew - Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful especially our head room steward Joenatan.
Food - MDR: breakfast was outstanding as usual (4x), dinner was good but had not great service 1 night (2x)
Buffet: breakfast not great, Blue Iguana does not make fresh eggs to put on the huevos rancheros like they did on Vista, I thought this was weird as that is how they should be served, my mom's eggs benedict were not edible either (1x), dinner was really good, they had many of the same selections as on the MDR menu (3x)
Room - Cabin 7402 Interior, our first interior and we did not like it, felt like we were in a box and too closed in, the only good thing was that we got one of the first renovated rooms and were only the 2nd cruise to use this cabin.

Bad:
Activities - There was not much to do that we enjoyed, We love trivia and they only did like 3 a day, we are used to hours of play on the bigger ships
Layout - We did not like the way the ship was layed out, the Lido with the tiers of chairs was too small for deck parties, the trivia was done in the Atrium and there were not enough seats and everyone was really spread out, the buffet was really small and the way the placed the food is weird like you started with the salad with some veggies but the rest of the toppings and dressing was in another area, just stupid

So, we learned that we only want to sail Dream Class or newer ships if we can. We like the bigger ships with lots of activities and the way the Lido is set up.

Ports:
Progreso - We did a Carnival excursion to Dzilbilchaltun. The ruins themselves were not that impressive (we have been to Uxmal previously and those are fabulous). The big seller here is the cenote; where the Mayan got their water it is from an underground river system and is freshwater. Swimming in it was a highlight. It was really hot and humid and the water is very refreshing.
Cozumel - Paradise Beach was amazing. We took a taxi and then spent the day lazing on the beach and swimming in the fabulous pool. We ate the best nachos I have ever had too.

Hurricane Michael:
Not a nice way to start. We didn't get any rain but we got the wind and swells. It was awful! Probably half the people on the ship were seasick (everywhere!). My mom was so sick she couldn't get out of bed and it was like that for many. Unfortunately, this was Elegant Night and it was deserted. I ate alone in the buffet. We have previously been through a tropical storm but that was nothing compared to the movement we had. I never want to experience it again.

If anyone has questions about something I didn't cover let me know. We are now researching our next adult only cruise!

Last edited:
We used them as well in April. I was worried but had also read many reviews, on CC as well. We only did cavetubing, I thought it was supposed to be shorter than if we added on the other options but they grouped every body for the shuttles so instead of getting back earlier and having time to shop we got back, made a quick stop to get a magnet and then on to the tender. It was stressful to me. While we did the hike through the woods we learned a lot about the rain forest, but it felt a little stretched to me, enough talking, lets get to the caves! I didn't realize how the tour worked, that they would be consolidating the tours like that.
Wow, this was our exact experience. So I guess what we experienced is standard. We always schedule excursions that are shorter because one of our children is difficult and we never know how things will go with him. We too were surprised when it turned into an all day deal.

Wow, this was our exact experience. So I guess what we experienced is standard. We always schedule excursions that are shorter because one of our children is difficult and we never know how things will go with him. We too were surprised when it turned into an all day deal.

Exactly! I had booked this one as shorter. My son really wanted to do the ziplining but I was worried about time so I booked the shorter tour, which ended up being the same length. I suppose I should leave a review somewhere? I mean we made it back to the ship, but it was not what I was expecting from the description or the reviews I had read. I will say that in Belize now, if we go back, I'll be booking through the cruiseline.

Waiting to board flight home-just off the Valor 4 day to Cozumel, out of Galveston. Is.being addicted mean I’ve already got the next cruise planned (and on hold til I get home to double check dates)?
Fabulous time. Will do more details later, but there wasn’t much we didn’t like. Had balcony room and now I’m spoiled by that. Food was good but how do people eat that much for days on end? With big group and we had Cheers package- turned out to be a good choice for us. Typing on iPad stinks so will do review later with pics.

Well, back to real life today (i.e. work). Here is my short review.

Ship: Carnival Triumph

Good:
Crew - Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful especially our head room steward Joenatan.
Food - MDR: breakfast was outstanding as usual (4x), dinner was good but had not great service 1 night (2x)
Buffet: breakfast not great, Blue Iguana does not make fresh eggs to put on the huevos rancheros like they did on Vista, I thought this was weird as that is how they should be served, my mom's eggs benedict were not edible either (1x), dinner was really good, they had many of the same selections as on the MDR menu (3x)
Room - Cabin 7402 Interior, our first interior and we did not like it, felt like we were in a box and too closed in, the only good thing was that we got one of the first renovated rooms and were only the 2nd cruise to use this cabin.

Bad:
Activities - There was not much to do that we enjoyed, We love trivia and they only did like 3 a day, we are used to hours of play on the bigger ships
Layout - We did not like the way the ship was layed out, the Lido with the tiers of chairs was too small for deck parties, the trivia was done in the Atrium and there were not enough seats and everyone was really spread out, the buffet was really small and the way the placed the food is weird like you started with the salad with some veggies but the rest of the toppings and dressing was in another area, just stupid

So, we learned that we only want to sail Dream Class or newer ships if we can. We like the bigger ships with lots of activities and the way the Lido is set up.

Ports:
Progreso - We did a Carnival excursion to Dzilbilchaltun. The ruins themselves were not that impressive (we have been to Uxmal previously and those are fabulous). The big seller here is the cenote; where the Mayan got their water it is from an underground river system and is freshwater. Swimming in it was a highlight. It was really hot and humid and the water is very refreshing.
Cozumel - Paradise Beach was amazing. We took a taxi and then spent the day lazing on the beach and swimming in the fabulous pool. We ate the best nachos I have ever had too.

Hurricane Michael:
Not a nice way to start. We didn't get any rain but we got the wind and swells. It was awful! Probably half the people on the ship were seasick (everywhere!). My mom was so sick she couldn't get out of bed and it was like that for many. Unfortunately, this was Elegant Night and it was deserted. I ate alone in the buffet. We have previously been through a tropical storm but that was nothing compared to the movement we had. I never want to experience it again.

If anyone has questions about something I didn't cover let me know. We are now researching our next adult only cruise!
Thanks for the review, I needed to read about trivia. We’ve only done the Vista for Carnival so far and think I’ll take your opinion and stick with Dream class ships and newer only. We just canceled our 2019 Anthem of the Seas cruise because it seems like RCCL lacks in the trivia scene. Now we’re booked for 2019 on Vista again and we have 2020 booked on Panorama.

The 2020 cruise is my daughter’s graduation cruise so she gets to pick out what we’re doing as long as she stays within the budget we’ve set. We live in AZ and can drive to Long Beach so we’re booked in 2 connecting Havana Cabanas. We normally cruise in 2 connecting insides, so this is a huge upgrade for us. The problem now is she doesn’t know if she wants to go to Mexico now!!! I’m going to be so bummed if she decides on something else.

Thanks for the review, I needed to read about trivia. We’ve only done the Vista for Carnival so far and think I’ll take your opinion and stick with Dream class ships and newer only. We just canceled our 2019 Anthem of the Seas cruise because it seems like RCCL lacks in the trivia scene. Now we’re booked for 2019 on Vista again and we have 2020 booked on Panorama.

The 2020 cruise is my daughter’s graduation cruise so she gets to pick out what we’re doing as long as she stays within the budget we’ve set. We live in AZ and can drive to Long Beach so we’re booked in 2 connecting Havana Cabanas. We normally cruise in 2 connecting insides, so this is a huge upgrade for us. The problem now is she doesn’t know if she wants to go to Mexico now!!! I’m going to be so bummed if she decides on something else.

You will be the Vista expert!

We are also booked on Panorama and splurging on a Havana Cabana. Although we are squeezing the 4 of us in. Got to save money to go to DL.

We are looking at Breeze for next Fall for our adult only trip. We've been on it twice and love it.

Hi guys,

I'm currently at the airport on my way back home from a cruise to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk.

There was some good and some bad, which I am going to explain in details in my DCL vs Sensation comparison.

I'm being destroyed on a Facebook group at this very moment because, sadly, I am not a fan of Grand Turk.

I'll be back. ;)

Hi guys,

I'm currently at the airport on my way back home from a cruise to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk.

There was some good and some bad, which I am going to explain in details in my DCL vs Sensation comparison.

I'm being destroyed on a Facebook group at this very moment because, sadly, I am not a fan of Grand Turk.

I'll be back. ;)

I'm with you on Grand Turk. I was so excited about it, and then so disappointed when I got there.

Hi guys,

I'll be back. ;)
I definitely understand how you feel about GT. It is a beautiful place, but not set up well. Doesn't compare to HMC or Castaway, but we still have fun there because it is beautiful and our kids like to dig in the sand and swim. We make sure to separate from the crowds.

The problem with GT's is that not only the layout was super cramped... But the sand was extremely dirty (glass debris, cigarette tops everywhere).

We decided to walk to Jack's Shack where the beach was great but had to say no to vendors a lot on our way and... Well, there is A LOT of abandoned buildings, plastered spaces, and graffitis on walls, fences, umbrellas and chairs on the way to Jack's Shack.

I mean, it makes the port of Nassau look like Disneyland in comparison.

P.s.: We were in HMC the day before... Imagine our disappoitment!!

Glad you are back safe and sound mevelandry. I think there is always good and bad with each trip. I loved GT our first time but it was a lo different. The chairs were not overseen by locals who overcharge you! It has changed and not for the better.

I think I mentioned up thread about the Carnival Victory being "Sunshined" and becoming the Carnival Radiance in 2020. If I didn't well here is the announcement! I know Christine Duffy had stated in an interview that Carnival was not returning anytime to Europe BUT that may change with Victory/Radiance. It will go through dry dock on Cadiz, Spain. It is thought that it would sail empty over and back like the Triumph will when it goes for it's big change. However, I have found Carnival Victory listed for 5 calls at Civitavecchia in May & June 2020. Coincidence? You decide.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-arrivals-and-departures-real-time

The problem with GT's is that not only the layout was super cramped... But the sand was extremely dirty (glass debris, cigarette tops everywhere).

We decided to walk to Jack's Shack where the beach was great but had to say no to vendors a lot on our way and... Well, there is A LOT of abandoned buildings, plastered spaces, and graffitis on walls, fences, umbrellas and chairs on the way to Jack's Shack.

I mean, it makes the port of Nassau look like Disneyland in comparison.

P.s.: We were in HMC the day before... Imagine our disappoitment!!

That's awful! We have been there 2x and never noticed anything like that. But we did notice that first time it was nicer than the second time. Hard to put a finger on why. I wonder if it is on a downward spiral.

That's awful! We have been there 2x and never noticed anything like that. But we did notice that first time it was nicer than the second time. Hard to put a finger on why. I wonder if it is on a downward spiral.

I think they were pretty well wiped out by a hurricane last year and didn't have the money to easily rebuild. Those are the same sorts of things that I noticed when I went this past August. People spray painted "weed" all over the free chairs, and there were people trying to charge us for using the free chairs as well.

I think they were pretty well wiped out by a hurricane last year and didn't have the money to easily rebuild. Those are the same sorts of things that I noticed when I went this past August. People spray painted "weed" all over the free chairs, and there were people trying to charge us for using the free chairs as well.

We had a good day at Grand Turk but nothing absolutely amazing. I wouldn’t be devasted if we didn’t go back for a while. It did seem a bit more run down than last year and yes, I also think they were hit hard by the hurricane, so this year or even next could be an anomaly. We didn’t go to Jack’s Shack this time because honestly, I didn’t think it was anything great last year. :confused3 (Blasphemy I know!) I was fine with the free beach chairs, but they are soooo close together and it was hard to find a single, let alone 2 together. I didn’t notice the actual beach being dirty though so I hope that was a freak thing!

Margaritaville still had their nice pool as an option, but I refuse to pay the price to eat/drink there!

I did see some excursions for private cabanas and even a private house that had good reviews and seemed pretty reasonable priced. Might be something to try.

DH snorkeled the entire time and saw tons so he had a great day though!

We are supposed to go back to GT with the family in April. We'll do an excursion... (Maybe a beach excursion or a Home Sweet Home type of excursion. Those always get good reviews.)

I don't want to be near the Cruise Center + I knew I was "square" but Margaritaville still managed to shock me. LOL

I've seen the word "pot" a lot... Ok, let's be honest. It was EVERYWHERE.

We had a good day at Grand Turk but nothing absolutely amazing. I wouldn’t be devasted if we didn’t go back for a while. It did seem a bit more run down than last year and yes, I also think they were hit hard by the hurricane, so this year or even next could be an anomaly. We didn’t go to Jack’s Shack this time because honestly, I didn’t think it was anything great last year. :confused3 (Blasphemy I know!) I was fine with the free beach chairs, but they are soooo close together and it was hard to find a single, let alone 2 together. I didn’t notice the actual beach being dirty though so I hope that was a freak thing!

Margaritaville still had their nice pool as an option, but I refuse to pay the price to eat/drink there!

I did see some excursions for private cabanas and even a private house that had good reviews and seemed pretty reasonable priced. Might be something to try.

DH snorkeled the entire time and saw tons so he had a great day though!

Jack's Shack is nothing special. Just ok (my DH said the barman was not friendly) but the beach was SO much cleaner than it prevented our day from being a complete disaster. The beach was nice and the dogs adorable. I'll post pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter