Caring for giants tour at AK

I'm very close to booking this tour for our anniversary trip in November. My DH's only ask is exactly how close do you get to the elephants? I think he's comparing this experience to a zoo. I've tried explaining that it's about how they care for the elephants, then you get to go out and see them, but just wanted some first hand accounts if you thought it was a "close encounter." :sunny:

The way I often describe it is like being on your front porch and there are elephants in the yards across the street. It doesn't feel like a zoo....it feels much more personal....just a small group lingering to watch without having to worry about other visitors coming and going. All you see is habitat in every direction (as long as you don't look to the road behind you :P). Our guide was great....he said something along the lines of "I am going to talk to you about our elephants, but you shouldn't feel that you need to look at me while I talk, I know you are here to see the elephants. " it was a very worthwhile experience.

ive been looking for something different to do that is a tour, and I stumbled accross 5is one. I love elephants, so this tour sounds interesting sinceit appears to be based on elephants. Anyone done this tour? What did you think? Worth the $30 per person?

Yes we've done it. Our daughter was a cast member and conducted the tour as an Intern last year. The tour is especially good for those who are REALLY into elephants. We heard that they changed it and made enhancements after she left.

I used my iPhone (7+)
Some of my pics
IMG_2766.jpg
IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg
IMG_2757.jpg
IMG_2755.jpg

And they offered to take photos if anyone wanted
IMG_2775.jpg
These are absolutely Stunning Photos, thank you so very much for Sharing. My hubby and I are going to DisneyWorld for the very first time in Sept. I immediately signed up for Caring for Giants. I am an AVID fan of Elephants, simply Adore them. We are celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary/My Birthday/Me surviving 5 Heart Attacks w/in 22 months. So this is truly quite the Holiday. Thank you for sharing all these great adventures!! Now I have an idea of what fun we are going to enjoy!!

These are absolutely Stunning Photos, thank you so very much for Sharing. My hubby and I are going to DisneyWorld for the very first time in Sept. I immediately signed up for Caring for Giants. I am an AVID fan of Elephants, simply Adore them. We are celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary/My Birthday/Me surviving 5 Heart Attacks w/in 22 months. So this is truly quite the Holiday. Thank you for sharing all these great adventures!! Now I have an idea of what fun we are going to enjoy!!
Congrats on EVERYTHING! Hope you have a magical time.

May this newbie inquire of anyone/everyone, how does one alter their icon, would like to add a photo or something? Would appreciate any assistance, cheeres!!

May this newbie inquire of anyone/everyone, how does one alter their icon, would like to add a photo or something? Would appreciate any assistance, cheeres!!
Go to your name in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and click on it.
There's is a list of options, one of which is
Click it and follow the prompts

It's been so long I can't remember but it may be something you have to have a certain number of posts to do (like 10) so if you can't see the choice, wait till you have more posts and try again.

Go to your name in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and click on it.
There's is a list of options, one of which is
Click it and follow the prompts

It's been so long I can't remember but it may be something you have to have a certain number of posts to do (like 10) so if you can't see the choice, wait till you have more posts and try again.

Once again, thank you for your assistance Ms. Angie? Ms. DIS Veteran. :flower1::thanks:

:welcome: to DISboards!

And congratulations on your anniversary, birthday, and your health!
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

Best wishes for your many reasons for celebrating. When in September are you doing Caring for Giants? I'm signed up on Saturday, September 15th. Can't wait!

Has anyone had any luck signing up for this tour either the same day or calling and getting a reservation the day before? We will be there in less than two weeks (eekkkkk - so excited) and in addition to DH and me, we are taking my mom and MIL. I don’t want to book a tour until we see how they do with the walking and the heat plus getting to see everything that is at the top of their list. Not sure if these tours regularly sell out???

Although I haven't, when I stopped to ask questions a few months ago, the CM let me know that there was plenty of same day availability if we were interested for later that day.

Although I haven't, when I stopped to ask questions a few months ago, the CM let me know that there was plenty of same day availability if we were interested for later that day.

Thanks for the info! I saw a picture where it looks like the tour desk is near the entrance to the Safari off to the side a little - I assume this is where I would go to check for same day availability?

Thanks for the info! I saw a picture where it looks like the tour desk is near the entrance to the Safari off to the side a little - I assume this is where I would go to check for same day availability?
Yes that is where you would go to ask about same day availability

It's going to be great! Can't wait for this.

We did the Caring for Giants tour on Wednesday, August 8th at 1:00pm and we were the only people at our time. The CMs were all fantastic, and we had great views of the elephants. The time went fast, but it was also just about the perfect length. I could stand and watch the elephants all day, but it was nice that it didn’t take too much time out of the rest of our day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter