Caribbean Beach vs Wilderness Lodge

sailored

Mouseketeer
Hi friends! We have a trip booked for August for two weeks, we are currently booked at Caribbean Beach. We stayed there in March and absolutely loved the convenience of having the skyliner right there. So, we booked it again! I have been looking at Wilderness Lodge and am debating switch because it gives me Grand Californian vibes. My big question, are the beds as comfy as the ones at the Grand Californian?

I’m hesitant on switching to Wilderness Lodge because of the lack of the skyliner. But I’m also hesitant because they don’t have allergy ordering on the mobile app, and they do at Caribbean Beach. We utilize the hotel food court a lot! I would have to speak with a chef every time at Wilderness Lodge.

For those who have stayed with both (with the skyliner) being open. Which is your preferred, and is it worth the extra money? We will be spending equal time at all parks.

Thank you!

We have stayed at both resorts several times. Unfortunately, our last stay at CBR was a preferred water view. It put us near the main building but far from the Skyliner. We had to take a short bus ride to get to the Skyliner.

IMO, WL is leagues above CBR. You get to take a boat to the Magic Kingdom!

You are there for 2 weeks. I strongly suggest you try a split stay. Perhaps try the last 3 or 4 nights at WL.

Since you're going in August, it's going to be hot. You'll enjoy spending time at the Wilderness Lodge pools and eating outside at Geyser Point.

Hopefully, these images give you some idea of what to expect at WL.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

11.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

18.JPG

My big question, are the beds as comfy as the ones at the Grand Californian?
The WL beds are very comfortable. We stayed in a DVC room at CCV and slept well each night. It's been too long - I cannot remember what the VGC beds were like so I cannot offer a comparison.

bed.JPG

Yes split stay! I’m do a split stay at those same resorts . Planning on doing Epcot and HS while at CBR and Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom while at WL.

Not as comfortable. IMO, none of the Disney sofa beds are particularly comfortable. (Riviera might be the best.)
Riviera doesn’t have sofa beds. They have murphy beds that pull down from the wall. The mattresses are the same as the ones on the regular bed.
Denise

Riviera doesn’t have sofa beds. They have murphy beds that pull down from the wall. The mattresses are the same as the ones on the regular bed.
Denise
Thanks, yes, that's what I meant. But the bed does pull down from above the sofa, hence my short-hand (but wrong) use of the term "sofa bed".

I would have to speak with a chef every time at Wilderness Lodge.

At least at the Poly, you didn't have to speak with a chef (if you were able to mobile order from that allergy menu at CBR) - just go to the register and they had the allergy menu there.

Just got back from a split stay at both! Yes, I loved having the Skyliner at CBR. However, once we got to Wilderness Lodge (Copper Creek) we wished we had stayed there the whole week instead! It was just so much of an upgrade and absolutely beautiful. Boat to MK was also really helpful.

As for dining, I did not enjoy Centertown Market at CBR at all. Roaring Forks was definitely better and quieter. We also had a great dinner at Whispering Canyon. Unfortunately Sebastians at CBR was still closed. You could get some of their items at the pool bar but there were only a few tables and the wait was ridiculous.

Again loved the Skyliner but hands down would have done the whole week at the Lodge! And on our Hollywood Studios day the Skyliner wasn’t operating until 3:00 because of thunderstorms - we ended up having to take buses anyway which was a bummer.

Each time we go to Centertown Market, it always seems rather hectic.

How crowded was it for you?
It wasn’t necessarily “crowded” but it seemed to take quite a bit of time after hitting “prepare my order” for the food to be ready and they were very strict about not entering until your mobile order was ready. I would hit “prepare” all the way back in Aruba and would still have to wait when getting to the main building. My bigger issue was the food selection. I miss the old days with more options!

WL is definitely better than CBR. However the skyliner is certainly a good benefit at CBR as it makes travel around to HS and Epcot great. But if you have more MK and pool in mind go with WL. we have stayed there many times and we just love the atmosphere and boat to MK.

Have stayed at both; just got back from a 9 days at WL and would pick that hands down over CBR any day of the week. We had an absolutely amazing time and loved the resort. My favorite out of all the Disney resorts I've stayed at and I've stayed at a bunch. It's so magical, boat to MK is quick and easy, bus rides to HS and Epcot are super quick and the resort has so many amenities and good qualities yet is still compact enough where you don't feel so spread out like you do at the moderates or other places. I would pick WL 100%.

We have stayed at both multiple times over the years. Skyliner or not, CBR is a decent resort, but does not compare to the Wilderness Lodge in any way. WL is our favorite resort on property bar none. It's proximity to the Magic Kingdom yet it's ability to remain hidden is awesome. The lobby, rooms, grounds pool and restaurants are a step above. (at least in my opinion). We also have a 2 week August trip booked, still hoping for discounts, but it's roughly $100 a night more at this point. I am absolutely willing to pay that to stay at WL again.

I have to agree with most here. Wilderness Lodge is far better, but the price difference is significant.

Caribbean Beach is a good moderate with the skyliner hub. PROS - The skyliner is fun, kind of a ride in itself and it gives you extra dining options by taking you to the Riviera Resort (you can also walk to RR too), Pop and AoA, and the Epcot resorts - Y&B Club and Boardwalk. It has a great themed main pool and smaller "quiet" pools in each section. It's nicely themed and pleasant. CONS: The skyliner goes through the resort and kind of breaks up the theming (You KNOW you're in Disney, and not some Caribbean resort!) and you can hear it functioning above you from some of the rooms. The CBR rooms are very basic (no real difference from the values in my opinion) with motel door style entrances. CBR is very wide-spread and there is a lot of walking to get to certain things if you don't know what specific rooms to request to meet your needs. As I said its a GOOD resort, but those are things to think about.

Wilderness Lodge is a deluxe on Bay Lake. PROS: The rooms are beautifully themed and comfortable. The DVC rooms, if you can get one, are even better and come with in-room washer/dryer combos. Rooms are beautifully and tastefully decorated. The resort has two amazing pools, over-looks Bay Lake and has very good food. Geyser Point in particular is a GEM! (Good food and drinks, right on the lake!) Whispering Canyon has all-you-can-eat hearty food at decent prices, while the Roaring Fork is a great quick serv. Currently Artist Point, the main signature restaurant, is closed, but when open has amazing character dining (I'd say one of the more interesting ones too with really good food and the Snow White characters, including the evil queen!) The lobby is breathtaking as is the landscaping and theming around the resort. The only CON I could muster up (and I had to really think about it) is that it is a Bay Lake resort that is NOT on the monorail line - actually, I don't even consider that a con because it keeps the WL a little quieter with less resort-hoppers! There is a lovely boat that gets you to the MK in 15/20 minutes and quick, consistent bus service everywhere else. WL is also my favorite hotel at WDW. I would still choose it over Gran Floridian even if I had no budgetary concerns!

My opinion is that Wilderness Lodge is worth every penny if you plan on spending significant down time at the resort. If you plan on spending most of your time out and about in Disney, I would choose Caribbean as it give you plenty of travel options and is MUCH cheaper.

Last edited:
I love the Wilderness lodge, we stay there all the time, the suggestion of a split stay is great if you dont mind switching rooms

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter