Caribbean beach - preferred room or room close to skyliner?

2clssy

Earning My Ears
Caribbean Beach question: with the skyliner available and closer to the Jamaica and Aruba islands, is a preferred room still worth it or should I book a water view room and request Aruba or Jamaica?

It really depends on what you plan to do during your trip. If you are park people (spend most of every day in the park and not at the resort) and plan on going to Epcot and Hollywood Studios a lot, then Aruba and Jamaica would make more sense.
For everything else, preferred rooms make more sense, assuming your willing to pay the extra for it. You'll end up being one of the first bus stops, be close to the main pool, and be closest to the lobby for dining and shopping.
Don't forget that the Skyliner may go down temporarily at any time.

We just returned from CBR and were in Jamaica 46. I had booked a 5th sleeper room, so knew we would be on that side of the water. I thought the location was perfect and I think they are going to have to adjust the “Preferred Room” category now that the Skyliner is open.

We had an easy walk to either Skyliner station and used it frequently to make quick hops to HS and EPCOT for touring and dining. We were still just a short walk over the bridge to Old Port Royale.

In the future, I would pick the same location. Easy transportation is a high priority for us and I would like to see a booking category that guarantees me I will be near the Skyliner.

We just returned from CBR and were in Jamaica 46. I had booked a 5th sleeper room, so knew we would be on that side of the water. I thought the location was perfect and I think they are going to have to adjust the “Preferred Room” category now that the Skyliner is open.

We had an easy walk to either Skyliner station and used it frequently to make quick hops to HS and EPCOT for touring and dining. We were still just a short walk over the bridge to Old Port Royale.

In the future, I would pick the same location. Easy transportation is a high priority for us and I would like to see a booking category that guarantees me I will be near the Skyliner.
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. Transportation is a priority. In the Jamaica area, how were the buses? Is Jamaica one of the last bus stops?

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. Transportation is a priority. In the Jamaica area, how were the buses? Is Jamaica one of the last bus stops?

We had no problems with the bus from Jamaica, even on New Year’s Eve. That being said, we weren’t using the buses a whole lot. For example, we took a bus to the MK one day, but then hopped to EPCOT in the afternoon by Monorail and then used the Skyliner to get back to the room after dinner. You now have a lot of options.

We just returned from CBR and were in Jamaica 46. I had booked a 5th sleeper room, so knew we would be on that side of the water.

Actually there are 5th sleeper rooms in every building except in Trinidad. So they are on both sides of the lake.

Oh! Good to know. I got bad information then, because I had been told they were all in Jamaica and Aruba after the Reno. Hmm, now I really want them to create a booking category that is near the Skyliner. I hate having to rely on requests and hope for the best. I’d rather be able to pay for what I want.

We had no problems with the bus from Jamaica, even on New Year’s Eve. That being said, we weren’t using the buses a whole lot. For example, we took a bus to the MK one day, but then hopped to EPCOT in the afternoon by Monorail and then used the Skyliner to get back to the room after dinner. You now have a lot of options.
We’re going for Christmas so my biggest concern was the busses during the holiday. That being said, we’d only use the bus in the am twice and plan to use the skyliner in the evenings leaving from either HS or Epcot.

I have stayed in Aruba and Jamaica and found them both good. The bus stop is right behind them, the walk to the pool was just across the way and going to the front desk location easy and quick. Frankly, I've stayed at every moderate except POFQ and every value except AoA and Music (which I'm staying at in two weeks) and I would never pay for a preferred at any of them. Even the farthest away buildings in CS weren't that bad of a walk and the cost of upgrading to a preferred just not worth it. And no, I'm not a young fit person. I'm in my 60s and my son who travels with me has nerve damage in his back, so neither one of us spring chickens. Even given that the walks from one end of any of the resorts to the other were not bad.

We just did a split stay with 2 nights at CBR and 8 at Boardwalk. I requested preferred room and we were in Martinique. Great location and a short walk to the Riviera skyliner station. I would request that again if staying at CBR.

Actually there are 5th sleeper rooms in every building except in Trinidad. So they are on both sides of the lake.
Aren't the 5th sleeper rooms in Martinique and Barbados considered preferred? So if someone booked a with five people in a preferred room, they can be assured they would be on that side of the lake...and someone booking a 5th sleeper not preferred will be on the other side? Wondering, because I have a 5th sleeper standard view (def not preferred lol) reserved for a few days August, and booked it so that I could be as close to the skyliner as possible.

It will be interesting to see how/if the skyliner causes WDW to change the bookable categories at CBR. I'm thinking of requesting a building in Aruba closest to Riviera, as we'd like to check out the food/bar there.

Not necessarily the same thing, but in August 2017 (in the middle of renovations at Pop), I booked a standard view room for two nights through a third party (expedia maybe) with an amazing discount and linked it to MDE with no issue...added it fairly last minute at the beginning of a longer stay elsewhere on property. I requested a room in one of the buildings that had been renovated, which at that point were far away from Pop's preferred locations. Lo and behold, a few days out from our stay, my room in MDE was suddenly listed as preferred, which it had NOT been listed as before. I tried changing it without luck. Imagine someone trying to turn down what was basically a huge upgrade considering the rate I paid :rotfl2:. I'm guessing there was a ton of people requesting renovated rooms, so they moved some reservations into preferred to fix that. I'm wondering if that might happen at CBR at some point, too.

Aren't the 5th sleeper rooms in Martinique and Barbados considered preferred?

No, there is no category of 5th Sleeper Preferred. A room is either Preferred or a 5th Sleeper.

So if someone booked a with five people in a preferred room?

You can't. Preferred View rooms have a max occupancy of 4 plus one under 3 yrs old.

And someone booking a 5th sleeper not preferred will be on the other side?

No. 5th Sleepers are in every building except for Trinidad where the Pirates Themed rooms are.

Wondering, because I have a 5th sleeper standard view (def not preferred lol) reserved for a few days August, and booked it so that I could be as close to the skyliner as possible.

You could be in Martinique or Barbados too.

It will be interesting to see how/if the skyliner causes WDW to change the bookable categories at CBR.

No plans to make any changes and I don't see any coming.

I'm guessing there was a ton of people requesting renovated rooms, so they moved some reservations into preferred to fix that. I'm wondering if that might happen at CBR at some point, too.

Rooms have been renovated for a couple years now so no worries about that. But guests get upgraded during renovations very often. It's probably the biggest reason for pixie dust upgrades. So maybe during the next one.

No, there is no category of 5th Sleeper Preferred. A room is either Preferred or a 5th Sleeper.
Yes, I realize that! I wasn't totally clear in my post, but I know that. However...

You can't. Preferred View rooms have a max occupancy of 4 plus one under 3 yrs old.
Why did WDW give me the option of booking a preferred room when my party was for 3 adults and two 'kids' ages 13 and 14? I'm serious. I booked a 5th sleeper standard, but my options at CBR when I booked also included 5th sleeper water/pool view and preferred.

Rooms have been renovated for a couple years now so no worries about that. But guests get upgraded during renovations very often. It's probably the biggest reason for pixie dust upgrades. So maybe during the next one.
Reading my post, maybe it sounded like I was talking about CBR rooms being renovated? But I know they were done a few years ago. What I meant was...if a lot of people at CBR are requesting the areas closest to the skyliner, might some people who are booked in a standard room be 'upgraded' to the preferred area given demand for Aruba/Jamaica (as I was 'upgraded' at Pop during renovations)? From what I understand, Martinique and Barbados don't have standard rooms at all. I'm basing this on touring plans fwiw, but from what I can tell there, Martinique and Barbados have preferred rooms and water/pool view rooms (including 5th sleeper water/pool view) but no standard rooms at all.

I have no interest in being upgraded at CBR, fwiw. I book the room category I want wherever I stay.

Last edited:

This is not accurate. We are a family of 5 over three and are able to book preferred. Just like at deluxe hotels that have a mix of rooms that sleep 5 and rooms that only sleep 4 within the "garden view" or "water view" categories, the category "preferred" at CBR includes both. While it is not a guarantee of a 5th sleeping space, just like at Deluxes, they do have rooms that will fit it and will try to prioritize parties of 5 in those rooms.

If you book a category at CBR that specifically says "5th sleeper" in the name, that is a room with a pull down bed that is NOT preferred (except there is always a possibility of an upgrade) so will be across the river.

Why did WDW give me the option of booking a preferred room when my party was for 3 adults and two 'kids' ages 13 and 14? I'm serious. I booked a 5th sleeper standard, but my options at CBR when I booked also included 5th sleeper water/pool view and preferred.

I don't know. Either it was a glitch or you booked before January 1st 2020.

Reading my post, maybe it sounded like I was talking about CBR rooms being renovated? But I know they were done a few years ago. What I meant was...if a lot of people at CBR are requesting the areas closest to the skyliner, might some people who are booked in a standard room be 'upgraded' to the preferred area given demand for Aruba/Jamaica (as I was 'upgraded' at Pop during renovations)?

No. They just won't get their requests granted.

From what I understand, Martinique and Barbados don't have standard rooms at all.

Correct.

I'm basing this on touring plans fwiw, but from what I can tell there, Martinique and Barbados have preferred rooms and water/pool view rooms (including 5th sleeper water/pool view) but no standard rooms at all.

And King rooms too.

This is not accurate. We are a family of 5 over three and are able to book preferred. Just like at deluxe hotels that have a mix of rooms that sleep 5 and rooms that only sleep 4 within the "garden view" or "water view" categories, the category "preferred" at CBR includes both. While it is not a guarantee of a 5th sleeping space, just like at Deluxes, they do have rooms that will fit it and will try to prioritize parties of 5 in those rooms.

I got some bad information or had a misunderstanding. Just talked to my guy at CBR and yes, you can book a Preferred room with 5 in your party. But you can't with 5 adults, over 18. That's where I misunderstood.

If you book a category at CBR that specifically says "5th sleeper" in the name, that is a room with a pull down bed that is NOT preferred (except there is always a possibility of an upgrade) so will be across the river.

If you book a Water/Pool View 5th Sleeper you could be in Martinique or Barbados.

Last edited:
I don't know. Either it was a glitch or you booked before January 1st 2020.
Nope, booked in late January.

To make sure I'm not crazy or I wasn't imagining things, I just searched for my same dates through WDW again. Same scenario, three adults, two 'kids' (both teenagers but under 18),and I again was offered preferred as an option along with standard 5th sleeper and water/pool 5th sleeper!

Just saw your response above. I thought for a minute I was seeing things :tilt:.

In any case, I will definitely request a room in Aruba or Jamaica (need to decide which) so that I'm not 'upgraded' to a room farther away from the skyliner than I want to be, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter