Car Rental Rates Idea

Mama Bear Me2

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

I understand that car rental rates have been sky high. Can anyone please give me an idea of what they're paying for a weekly rental for a full size sedan (or larger) for pick up and return at LAX & dates of rental? Thinking of car rental for NEXT July or August 2024 and was wondering what this year's rates are like.

Any tips on how to get best car rental rates?

Thanks for your help!

Edited: please excuse my double post ... I'm posting on both Canadian and Regular Disneyland Forum

I haven't rented from LAX, but from other airports in the area it's been about $80-$100 a day. You could go through the booking process on a rental site just to see the cost, but don't actually book the car.

Do you have a Costco membership? Their rates are almost always the lowest for me, and they require no deposit and you can cancel anytime for free (I do this all the time when the rate drops, cancel and rebook the better rate).

Do you have a Costco membership? Their rates are almost always the lowest for me, and they require no deposit and you can cancel anytime for free (I do this all the time when the rate drops, cancel and rebook the better rate).
I second this if the OP is a Costco member. I also do this...actually, this post prompted me to look for our November trip and I saved $65!

I haven't rented from LAX, but from other airports in the area it's been about $80-$100 a day. You could go through the booking process on a rental site just to see the cost, but don't actually book the car.
I did and heart attack prices!! It was so much higher than previous years that I immediately came to Disboards for help. Appreciate the info that non-LAX rentals in the area are about $80 - 100. Can see why LAX is so expensive. Looks like prices are still high everywhere due to Covid fleet sell off.

Thank you. Yes I do. I checked before for previous visits but never actually booked with them.

Any idea if Canadians need to book through the Canadian Costco website or if we're allowed to book through the USA website? In previous years when I checked, if I'm recalling correctly, I believe the prices were slightly better via the USA website vs the Canadian website. Just not sure if there are rules that Canadians must use the Canadian website. Thanks!

Thank you. Yes I do. I checked before for previous visits but never actually booked with them.

Any idea if Canadians need to book through the Canadian Costco website or if we're allowed to book through the USA website? In previous years when I checked, if I'm recalling correctly, I believe the prices were slightly better via the USA website vs the Canadian website. Just not sure if there are rules that Canadians must use the Canadian website. Thanks!
One thing I have found on the Costco (USA) site is the rates can change after initial booking.
When that has happened for my trip, I re-book at the lower price and cancel the other one.
I have re-book up to 3 or 4 time before my trip because of finding a lower rate on Costco.com

One thing I have found on the Costco (USA) site is the rates can change after initial booking.
When that has happened for my trip, I re-book at the lower price and cancel the other one.
I have re-book up to 3 or 4 time before my trip because of finding a lower rate on Costco.com
Thanks!

Thanks!

FWIW - airports have the highest daily rate, fees and taxes vs local city car rentals

Example:
one week rental pick up and return to LAX = $720USD
one week rental pick up and return at the Anaheim Resort = $450USD

Unless I am travelling for work I never rent from LAX, we uber to our Anaheim hotel and pick up a car locally! We even try to see if we can do a one way return back to LAX so I don't have to uber twice (if we need a car for that length of time)

FWIW - airports have the highest daily rate, fees and taxes vs local city car rentals

Example:

Unless I am travelling for work I never rent from LAX, we uber to our Anaheim hotel and pick up a car locally! We even try to see if we can do a one way return back to LAX so I don't have to uber twice (if we need a car for that length of time)
Thank you for the tips!

For car rental bookings, the site is www.costcotravel.com. You can get to it via the costco.com website, but to go to the site directly, use the first one. I book and rebook at least 5+ times for every trip as prices drop. At some point close to the trip, they usually start to increase and then don’t come back down. I check daily while walking my dog, and it saves a lot of money.

For car rental bookings, the site is www.costcotravel.com. You can get to it via the costco.com website, but to go to the site directly, use the first one. I book and rebook at least 5+ times for every trip as prices drop. At some point close to the trip, they usually start to increase and then don’t come back down. I check daily while walking my dog, and it saves a lot of money.
Thanks for the info!!

Example:

This is what we did recently. We didn’t actually need the car for the several days we were at Disneyland, but we were driving a lot after that. Between the much higher cost of renting at LAX and the hotel parking fees, it was cheaper for us to shuttle to Disneyland and then walk to Avis on Katella several days later to pick up the car. We returned it to LAX after our road trip. Watch that they don’t charge you the gas service option if you don’t want that. I told them at pick up that I didn’t want it. We returned the car with a full tank of gas. I’m still fighting to get that $91 charge removed.

This is what we did recently. We didn’t actually need the car for the several days we were at Disneyland, but we were driving a lot after that. Between the much higher cost of renting at LAX and the hotel parking fees, it was cheaper for us to shuttle to Disneyland and then walk to Avis on Katella several days later to pick up the car. We returned it to LAX after our road trip. Watch that they don’t charge you the gas service option if you don’t want that. I told them at pick up that I didn’t want it. We returned the car with a full tank of gas. I’m still fighting to get that $91 charge removed.
Thanks! I hope you don't mind me asking some more questions. Thanks in advance.

1) How did you get from airport (assuming LAX since you returned your car to LAX) to Disneyland area? Uber? Taxi? Shuttle service (what kind)? I read somewhere that Uber does surge pricing so sometimes taxi is cheaper?

2) Price of transportation from LAX airport to Disneyland area.

3) Did Avis charge more for picking up at Katella and then returning to LAX? I'm guessing there's a premium charged for this privilege.

4) Sorry to hear about the gas charge. Thanks for the warning. I hope you get that $91 charge removed. I keep converting everything to CAD so numbers are higher in my head (and hurting more) ☹️

Thanks! I hope you don't mind me asking some more questions. Thanks in advance.

1) How did you get from airport (assuming LAX since you returned your car to LAX) to Disneyland area? Uber? Taxi? Shuttle service (what kind)? I read somewhere that Uber does surge pricing so sometimes taxi is cheaper?

2) Price of transportation from LAX airport to Disneyland area.

3) Did Avis charge more for picking up at Katella and then returning to LAX? I'm guessing there's a premium charged for this privilege.

4) Sorry to hear about the gas charge. Thanks for the warning. I hope you get that $91 charge removed. I keep converting everything to CAD so numbers are higher in my head (and hurting more) ☹️
We used a shuttle service, MidWilShuttle, from LAX to our hotel near Disneyland. We had 5 people, including a 3-year old with his car seat, and a lot of luggage. We were afraid we wouldn’t all fit in one Uber XL, and it was so much more convenient to get the shuttle right outside baggage claim. For our group, the shuttle was $160+tip.

I don’t remember if I priced returning the car to the Katella location instead of LAX. I just know that it was hundreds of dollars cheaper than renting at LAX even with the extra shuttle cost.

Of course, I just put some random dates in now, and it’s actually cheaper to rent from LAX for some vehicles, so I guess it depends…

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter