Car Rental Help

teacherme

Mouseketeer
We are traveling to Orlando in June 2021. I planned on renting a vehicle from where we live to drive to Orlando however when I looked today, the prices were way over my budget. Is there any car rental discount codes? Do you think the prices will drop when it gets closer to my travel date? Am I looking to early? I need help!!!

Check out Mousesavers.com. They have a rental codes page. Car rental prices have been much higher than they used to be. Also check the transportation board...people there are very helpful with car rentals too. Good luck!

In the past I've found the best car rental codes within about 6 weeks of my travel dates. So keep an eye on it and expect around mid-April or later will be decent discounts for June. I don't know if that has changed any since COVID.

use www.autoslash.com Book the best deal you can find, log the rental with them and they will continue to look for better deals. They have saved me over $1,000 dollars in the last few years on car rentals. Sometimes prices never go down, sometimes they crash for a few days then go back up, sometimes they keep going down.

Be careful to read car rental agreements before booking. Many companies do not allow for long distance travel. For example, when we rent in Vegas, our contract says we can only travel to 4 nearby states.

I usually get the best prices from Costco. I check prices frequently and rebook when the price drops. I am amazed that prices can change every day. Many times, the biggest price decrease is within a week of the rental. I always book a new reservation before cancelling the old one and never modify so I don't lose the old one if something goes wrong. With Costco, a second drive can be added at no additional cost which can save a bundle if you need this perk. Savings on a long rental will often cover the membership cost. I try to book a reservation way ahead of time just in case prices do not go down.

Some companies like Dollar have a manager's special that is a low rate. Most have programs that offer perks for signing up for their frequent renter program. Many will send emails notifying you if rates drop.

Make sure to read reviews on the office you rent from. Some are known for trying to pack on extra fees to push up the cost. Call some local companies and tell them what you have planned and see what they can do for you. Sometimes they know of better discounts than what is available online. Local offices will have shorter hours than airports, so keep this in mind.

Make sure your car insurance covers rental cars.

You will save a lot of money on taxes by not renting from airports, but sometimes you will have no choice in what car they assign you. I always make sure I understand what cars are in the class I reserve if using an offsite location. Some mid size cars at some companies are really small. I usually stick with full size and up, but also look into fuel economy and trunk size. Some full size cars hold way more luggage than others.

I usually never pay ahead just in case something comes up at the last minute that changes my plans.

I hope this information helps.

Car rental rates probably fluctuate more then anything else in the travel industry. I don't think I have ever gone with my first booking as I keep checking and always get it lower it seems. Always keep checking to see if you rate went down and rebook. Check multiple agencies and check different car categories. One place may be running specials on mid-size SUV's that may be cheaper then a smaller SUV etc. or even cheaper then a full size car.

Sign up for any car rental agencies "club" as I believe they are all free often times they offer member exclusive rates.

Join the

There's actually an article out there right now on car rental shortages and how insane the rates are and will be. I say check often, but I think this summer we'll be paying a lot more than in the past!

use www.autoslash.com Book the best deal you can find, log the rental with them and they will continue to look for better deals. They have saved me over $1,000 dollars in the last few years on car rentals. Sometimes prices never go down, sometimes they crash for a few days then go back up, sometimes they keep going down.
We used autoslash and saved a lot as well!!

Also watch the transportation thread... some really good advice

From Mousesavers, I rented through UT. I had to buy a ticket of some type (bought a $10 ticket to some gator thing) but got a Budget economy car weekly rental all-inclusive for $180. That is about half of any other price I was coming up with. I don't normally rent an economy car. There are only two of us. If I don't get an upgrade, we'll be fine. I pick up my car in two weeks. Hopefully, all is well when we get off the plane. I have a confirmation number that I put on the Budget website and everything seems in order.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter