• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car rental crowds/selection question

dis2cruise

Long Island, NY
Since car rentals are absolutely crazy right now has anybody witnessed crazy lines to get your rental pickup & your selection that you did pick was not available at the time of pick up?

I’m assuming the price is raised because they don’t have enough cars?

I'm also curious. And what if there are no cars available? Granted, a reservation is a reservation, but if there are no cars, there are no cars!

I have seen a few reports of no cars and that they basically tell you that you’re sol.

Probably a good reason to rent from one of the larger companies. You can read various older posts on here of some of those smaller/no-name companies who had shady practices even before covid. At MCO, I saw media reports of a fire at some off-site rental car storage location last year that destroyed a large number of vehicles. I would imagine rental companies will be adding cars back to their inventory as travel continues to increase. I imagine shortages at other airports as travel increases post-covid and they try to match inventory with demand.

Just picked up our car from budget yesterday around 5pm. We had almost no wait at the rental counter and there were lots of cars in the garage. The dollar and sixty counters had moderate lines but nothing crazy for this time of year. If you haven’t bought park tickets yet try getting them through UT and add a car in at the same time. We paid just under $300 for a 10 day mid size rental with them. Checking other places the price was over $600. The discount only shows up if you have park tickets or a hotel stay in the cart at the same time. Seems to be a lot of people using Uber as well. Between a $600 car rental and $25 a day to park it may be cheaper and easier just to use Uber or Lyft to get around.

While I've read a lot of posts from people worried about getting a car, I haven't read many posts about people who actually didn't get a car (maybe one post). I've also been watching Google reviews for Enterprise, who I'm using next month, and I'm not seeing lots of negative reviews. I've had several neighbors who traveled through MCO for spring break, and none of them had problems. While I'm building extra time into our arrival schedule in case of long lines, I'm just not that worried (maybe just naive😉).

When we were there at the end of February Alamo had one car per row so yes you got to "pick" but not really. They were turning over the cars as fast as they could but we did have to wait for a car.

I just got an email suggesting Turo, has anyone used them for rentals in Orlando? They have various vehicles with.much more reasonable prices.

Since car rentals are absolutely crazy right now has anybody witnessed crazy lines to get your rental pickup & your selection that you did pick was not available at the time of pick up?

I’m assuming the price is raised because they don’t have enough cars?
We went during Christmas week and did have to deal with a 45 minute line at the MCO Enterprise, even though we had a reservation. There were no functioning kiosks, so we had to wait in line. Lines looked much worse at the discount rental agencies. Enterprise did have our car, though.

Rented from Enterprise in Phoenix and Charleston over the past month.
Phoenix - must get luggage first, and every company is at a central location, requiring a shuttle first. Kiosks weren't working so had to wait in a 30 minute line. They were polite and apologetic about the wait and they did have my car. Other counters looked to be about the same waiting time, that I could see.
Charleston - Counters and luggage are right around the corner from each other, so very easy to get car paperwork first and then go get luggage (like MCO). No kiosks, but didn't need it. Literally no line, which surprised me. Other companies had lengthy lines. Upon getting our luggage, I glanced over at the counter again and there was now a line for Enterprise, about 10 people deep. They did have my car, so no issues there.

Prices for both were higher than I anticipated, but so glad I booked months, months in advance.
I also second the suggestion for MCO to book with UT. For our upcoming summer trip, the prices are absolutely insane. I booked months in advance for that too and had a great deal via Costco, but ultimately had to switch dates around, and of course car rental prices skyrocketed in the meantime.

Thanks for all this info folks, we were on the fence about renting a car. Not anymore, not worth the money.
I have been securing a rental resi a day or 3 before a trip for years, the cost this time is nuts.

While I've read a lot of posts from people worried about getting a car, I haven't read many posts about people who actually didn't get a car (maybe one post). I've also been watching Google reviews for Enterprise, who I'm using next month, and I'm not seeing lots of negative reviews. I've had several neighbors who traveled through MCO for spring break, and none of them had problems. While I'm building extra time into our arrival schedule in case of long lines, I'm just not that worried (maybe just naive😉).
After 15+ years of renting 2-3 times a year at MCO, it happened to us last night. Arrived about 9pm after an hour weather delay. Waited in line almost 2 hours at Thrifty. About 10 people from counter, they started yelling no more cars, come back tomorrow. It was awful. They basically said we don’t care. Hundreds of people stranded. We tried to get a few other desks, could get a mini van at Alamo for $1100 but that was about it. Tried to get an Uber/Lyft...no pick ups. The one couple up there waited almost an hour for a regular, we needed an XL and nothing available. Walked down to taxi stand and only luck we had all night, a taxi van pulled up and the first group in line couldn’t be accommodated (they had 9 people) but we fit along with another couple. Got to SSR around 1:30 am. It was horrible. The rental counters did not care at all and there were hundreds and hundreds of people stuck.

I did find on my computer once at SSR a rental from Budget at the Disney Springs Doubletree. It was double my original rate ($325 midsize SUV) at $578 mid size car. I Ubered there this morning $10, and had a very quick and easy pick up and she gave me a RAV4. So we are ok for now, but out an extra $400 and it was awful at MCO. Never experienced anything like that. I think if they would have told us when we originally landed it would have been annoying but more options. That’s the part that made me upset, we waited 2 hours in line and they knew they would not have cars.

And to think... everybody thought Magic Express was a long line and soon it will not even be an option.
Hello world we might have a small problem waiting to get bigger.

Can I ask why we accept delays from airports and know it will be a wait one way or another but waiting for Disney transportation is just unacceptable both at airport and on property.... but Disney believes they are only responding to guest preference...

Last edited:
In this predicament could A backup Magic Express reservation be a good thing to make , in advance , just in case ?

In this predicament could A backup Magic Express reservation be a good thing to make , in advance , just in case ?
We made a ME resi and plan on a game time decision as to hop on the bus or grab a ride share. We have the *** crack of dawn flight on Wednesday that gets us into MCO just before 9 AM. I don’t expect to see a line for the bus, but after what I’ve been reading I would not be surprised.

After 15+ years of renting 2-3 times a year at MCO, it happened to us last night. Arrived about 9pm after an hour weather delay. Waited in line almost 2 hours at Thrifty. About 10 people from counter, they started yelling no more cars, come back tomorrow. It was awful. They basically said we don’t care. Hundreds of people stranded. We tried to get a few other desks, could get a mini van at Alamo for $1100 but that was about it. Tried to get an Uber/Lyft...no pick ups. The one couple up there waited almost an hour for a regular, we needed an XL and nothing available. Walked down to taxi stand and only luck we had all night, a taxi van pulled up and the first group in line couldn’t be accommodated (they had 9 people) but we fit along with another couple. Got to SSR around 1:30 am. It was horrible. The rental counters did not care at all and there were hundreds and hundreds of people stuck.

I did find on my computer once at SSR a rental from Budget at the Disney Springs Doubletree. It was double my original rate ($325 midsize SUV) at $578 mid size car. I Ubered there this morning $10, and had a very quick and easy pick up and she gave me a RAV4. So we are ok for now, but out an extra $400 and it was awful at MCO. Never experienced anything like that. I think if they would have told us when we originally landed it would have been annoying but more options. That’s the part that made me upset, we waited 2 hours in line and they knew they would not have cars.
I am so sorry! That is awful! Hoping your trip get better from here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter