car insurance for canadians

JANNYANS

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me whether canadian car insurance is accepted by the rental companies in Orlando ?

I sure hope so, because my auto insurance policy already includes coverage for rental cars, and I have confirmed that it will cover me anywhere in Mortha America. I am just bringing my liability card to prove coverage.

In my experience, it is.

I have only rented using Dollar in Orlando, as well as Dollar and Enterprise out of Tampa. None of them ever asked my for any proof of insurance. Then again, I also put down a Gold Card on the rental - which has its own set of coverages.

I was asked (at Enterprise) what my deductibles were.

BTW - if you're worried about showing proof of insurance, a liability slip on its own may not be enough. They only show name/car/policy number, not any of the coverages or limits (at least, the ones issued in Ontario).

Jeff

Went through this last year. Yes they will except it, but they don't like it because that is where they make their money. Have your insurance broker type up a letter stating you have rental car coverage with your policy #. Show this at check-in. Be warned that they may try to scare you into buying their insurance with statements like "your on your own" ect. but don't give in. Just make sure you do a good walk around car and be sure any damages are documented before you leave.

I know this was discussed a few months back here on this board. I personally would consider buying the Rental insurance as our insurance here in Ontario has increased so much in the past year. If you are in an accident and a claim is made on your insurance it will go up. If you use there's you can walk away from it. I didn't have time to search the board today, but if you go back to July I think it was discussed then.
Marilynn

Here in Manitoba you can purchase seperate rental car insurance from your insurance agent-80.00 covered both of us and it was extensive coverage. They had a phamplet that clearly explained everything..much better deal than buying from the rental car agency plus you pay in Canadian dollars. They give you the full policy which you take with you. However both times we rented (National, Alamo) they didn't ask or question when I declined their insurance.
Grover in Winnipeg
;)

AS AN INSURANCE BROKER I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU BUY THE INSURANCE FROM THE RENTAL COMPANY. IF YOU HAVE A CLAIM WITH THE RENATL CAR & YOU USE "YOUR" INSURANCE, IT WILL AFFECT YOUR POLICY WHEN YOU COME BACK. IF YOU BUY THE INSURANCE FROM THEM, IT WILL GET TAKEN CARE OF & IT WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR INSURANCE HERE IN CANADA. ALSO, ALL RENTAL AGREEMENTS ARE DIFFERENT SO IF YOU HAVE A CLAIM & USE YOUR OWN INSURANCE, DOWN TIME FOR THE RENTAL CAR AS IT IS GETTING FIXED MAY OR NOT BE COVERED & THIS CAN BE COSTLY TO YOU IF IT IS NOT COVERED. IF YOU DO GET THEIR INSURANCE, JUST WATCH THE LIABILITY LIMIT, MAKE SURE YOU GET AT LEAST A 1 MILLION LIMIT. LIMITS IN THE STATES START ANYWHERE FROM 15,000 & THAT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR ANYONE. HOPE THIS HELPS

Thanks EEYORERULES, I knew someone had posted info on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter