Car Hire Hertz, Part II, Found (Relative) Bargain.

kylieh

DIS Veteran
We're back to hiring a car. So off to Herz.com.au (and others) I go.

Some general info - a one way hire, between LA (Hollywood) and returning the next Saturday in Anaheim. It will be mid-trip so no airport pickups etc involved.

I did a quick quote with no discount codes or Hertz Gold Club info involved. There was a choice of 2 rates now for all cars. Rate 1 included some taxes and basic insurance; rate 2 included every insurance, tax, and fee imaginable:

Hotel Concession Fee Recovery
Loss Damage Waiver
Taxes
Liability Insurance Supplement
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
Transaction Fee
California Tourism Commission Assessment
ENERGY SURCHARGE

For a couple of car choices like the Chev Impala which I believe is a Commodore equivalent, Ford Focus, and MAzda 6, it was cheaper to get the rate with everything included. So for rate 2 and including the one way drop it was about US$400 for the Impala, and cheaper again for the Focus and Mazda.

When I put in my Gold Card number and other combinations of my work discount, and other US coupons it was a lot more and the purchase combination was not available.

So in summary, it might be worth quoting without discounts etc on Hertz first off. I'm pretty happy with the price I got. ;)

PS - the equivalent with Budget was $675, and Avis $729 :scared1:

How long is the rental period actually for?

We got a quote for a week (Sat to Sat) renting a Chevrolet Impala in Los Angeles for a one way including all bells and whistles, insurance, unlimited miles etc through National and it was only AUD$290

I've rented through them before about half a dozen times and they're fine.

Thanks Oz-kateer. Just went to National.com and with different coupons (I have the US Entertainment book) got a quote of US$378 for the same period.

I'll stick with Hertz though at the moment for the price difference as the pickup is next to where we're staying in LA. Else I'd have the cab fare to the airport, but appreciate your assistance with that.

Try booking National by accessing it through the V Australia website, it adds a VIRGINBLUE code and gives a good discount.

You can get the car from a free shuttle straight out of LAX.

Try booking National by accessing it through the V Australia website, it adds a VIRGINBLUE code and gives a good discount.

You can get the car from a free shuttle straight out of LAX.

Thanks ColB - with the one way drop through V came in at AU$694, roughly US$624. We're not picking up the day that we arrive. not until day 3, hence the need to return to the airport. Without the one way drop fee they were cheaper, about AU$362, but we won't be keeping the car for the whole trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter