Car Break-ins

OP , I am sorry it happened to you. I do understand. :hug: I don't own a gun. But if someone does the car should be locked. So many guns stolen and used as well. There is a trial I am watching , the owner kept the gun in middle area in a grocery bag. I thought that was strange.

This didn't happen to me. I don't own a gun either....not that there's anything wrong with that.

We moved from a rural, safe community area where people often left their house doors unlocked to a metro suburb where the house and cars are locked at all times. While I like to think that we live in a safe community I'm not unrealistic about opportunity seekers venturing into the nice neighborhoods in search of quick theft. Reading Nextdoor daily confirms this.

Some people need to use common sense. If you have something of value (or a weapon) in your vehicle then conceal it and lock it up.

We moved from a rural, safe community area where people often left their house doors unlocked to a metro suburb where the house and cars are locked at all times. While I like to think that we live in a safe community I'm not unrealistic about opportunity seekers venturing into the nice neighborhoods in search of quick theft. Reading Nextdoor daily confirms this.

Some people need to use common sense. If you have something of value (or a weapon) in your vehicle then conceal it and lock it up.

We're in a fairly quiet cul-de-sac. So quiet that we have left the garage door up several times and nothing has ever been stolen. That being said, we were dumb to leave it open, and I try to check every night before I go to bed (if anyone has been in the garage that day). We've left the car unlocked too, and the most a thief will find are some expired coupons, Midol, Tylenol, a couple half used bottles of water, a hat, and a USB drive with music on it; oh, and DH's car charger, which is like $8 at Walmart. If we had anything important in the car, like a GUN, we would keep it locked up (both the gun and the car).

I think if you leave your car unlocked and your gun is stolen, you should held liable for any crime committed with that gun, at the least as a misdemeanor.

This happens a lot in the "rich" part of the county where we live. Apparently no one locks their car doors there. Ever.

In addition to locking my doors, I also have a car alarm (with a blinking light) to discourage them coming to my car. It appears to be working as my neighbors have more problems.

I know someone who thinks it's a great idea to leave their unlocked... until they found a "soup kitchen" the next day.

The local news is talking about cars being broken into. An out of town couple had a gun stolen while they were eating in a restaurant. Their car was unlocked.

Here are my issues.
1. The car wasn't locked. How can this be called a 'break-in.'
2. If you have a gun in your car, how can you not make sure your car is locked?

I don't keep a ton of valuable stuff in the car. A few CDs. I have a French army knife in my glove box (I never kept gloves in it. Is it still called that?), a flash light, 23 years of insurance cards and registrations, and a phone charger or two, but nothing of real value in the grand scheme of things. I lock my car, but if I didn't and found this stuff missing, I think I'd be embarrassed to call the police. Not that I wouldn't, but I'd feel a little foolish when they asked that question.

I live in STL and break ins are a major issue. Also I literally watched some kid get out of my truck and then jump into his car and drive away. It was unlocked. They are looking for money.

All I can say is that never leave your car unlocked.

In my city, one doesn't worry about a car being broken into as much as one worries about the car being stolen. Nothing is safe in my city which is the #1 city in the nation for car theft per capita. DD's 15 year old car was stolen, ran into the ground in a joy ride, and left on the side of a road for 2 weeks before someone reported it to the police. It was a complete loss. People who drive older cars, use the Club steering wheel lock here, otherwise you are a target. The police also say NOT to keep registration info in the car anymore. People get their cars stolen from the mall, and while they are stranded at the mall, the thieves drive to their home based on the registration information and rob the house. It has happened many times here. The police say it's best to keep your registration info in your wallet or take a photo of it with your phone and to throw away the ones that are expired. Some places don't allow a photo of the registration, but it's allowed out here. You would have to give up your phone to the officer though (if you were pulled over) while she/he goes back to their car and calls in your driver's license info. I'd rather just keep the info in my purse, or hide it in the car somewhere like under the trunk carpeting where thieves won't find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter