"Car alarm" bird at OKW

wrighter

DIS Veteran
We just returned from an amazing week in WDW. We stayed in a one bedroom villa at OKW and really enjoyed all the space it provided. (It certainly had its issues, but that's another thread.) :-)

Has anyone else who has stayed at OKW experienced what I like to call the "car alarm bird?" EVERY SINGLE MORNING between 4:00 and 4:30 this bird woke my family up. The first time I heard it I literally thought it was someone's car alarm. I remember thinking, "Who the heck is heading out at 4:00 a.m.?" Then I realized it was a BIRD!!! One morning I actually went outside to shoo it out of the tree in front of the villa.

Please tell me I'm not insane. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

You're not crazy...we have some bizarre birds in FL and that doesn't surprise me. Years ago I remember a female blue jay waking us every weekend morning at 5:30 am. Got to the point we tried squirting it with a water bottle, if we had a hose we would have used that . So much for nature:eek: , it was so obnoxious. Didn't sound like a car alarm but it was awful.

With all the wilderness that's around WDW you get all sorts of wildlife. Just a bummer to be woken up every morning (or middle of the night-whichever way you look at it) with something so loud...yipes:eek:

That was probably a mynah bird, they mimic what they hear and can do all sorts of sounds, perfectly!

I really hope you weren't serious about shooting the bird. He was just doing what he was put on this earth to do. He didn't know it was 4:00 in the morning. I would have turned over, woken up my husband and said "isn't that cool?"

Sorry - off my animal rights soapbox now.

I really hope you weren't serious about shooting the bird. He was just doing what he was put on this earth to do. He didn't know it was 4:00 in the morning. I would have turned over, woken up my husband and said "isn't that cool?"

Sorry - off my animal rights soapbox now.

she didn't say shooting she said shooing.

Who said to Shoot it? My dh isn't on this board is he? Just Kidding. I think the OP said shoo it away not shoot.

Monica

Ever hear the peacocks and peafowl at FW? Loud enough to wake the ghosts at HM!

pinnie

I did say "shoo," not "shoot." :-) I had to laugh at that one - I mean, how unDisney can you get?

One morning at POP three of those cranes with the red heads (not sure of the species) were wandering around. They were so loud and their calls were so bizarre that people started coming out of their rooms to determine the source.

It's all part of the magic at WDW. We don't get to interact with wildlife like that in NJ.

I did say "shoo," not "shoot." :-) I had to laugh at that one - I mean, how unDisney can you get?

I apologize! That's what I get for answering a post when I haven't fully awaken yet! I was still reeling from the puppy abuse case that happened down here.

Heartbeat down now. Shooing is fine, no shooting going on.

One morning at POP three of those cranes with the red heads (not sure of the species) were wandering around. They were so loud and their calls were so bizarre that people started coming out of their rooms to determine the source.

It's all part of the magic at WDW. We don't get to interact with wildlife like that in NJ.

Those lovely birds were most likely sanhill cranes. They're an endangered species and have made FL their permanent home now instead of migrating.

Those lovely birds were most likely sanhill cranes. They're an endangered species and have made FL their permanent home now instead of migrating.

Yes, they were sandhill cranes. When we were there, we almost walked right into them. They were that close to the sidewalk. We were speechless for quite a while. We lived in Nebraska for a time and the sandhill migration was a highly anticipated event. They get their name from the Nebraska sandhills.

Gorgeous creatures.

The cranes with the red on the top of their heads are called Sandhill cranes. I don't remember any car alarm bird at OKW, but I really wish I'd heard one. I'm a birder and all I got was DH waking me up at 6:30 one morning to see a particular bird. I wish I'd heard one.

The cranes with the red on the top of their heads are called Sandhill cranes. I don't remember any car alarm bird at OKW, but I really wish I'd heard one. I'm a birder and all I got was DH waking me up at 6:30 one morning to see a particular bird. I wish I'd heard one.

We've got about seven or eight in our nieghborhood. They're two males currently in competition over a female. I'd be more than happy to send them to you. They're especially good at scaring away cats, dogs, small children, things that breathe, etc.

We stayed at OKW, South Point for two weeks over the Christmas period and heard this bird most mornings, until we got used to it and managed to sleep through. It's the strangest bird call I've ever heard, but so sweet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter