Can't digi cameras take action shots?

jennymouse

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe
I've got a Sony Cybershot 5.0 megapixels and it's great for taking my Ebay pics, but whenever I try to take a pic of people and someone moves (2yo) it doesn't freeze the motion and looks like, well, a blur. I've gone over and over the little book that came with the camera and don't see anything in there to tell me I need to do something with the settings. I'd like to take the digi to WDW, but I'm afraid the pics of my 2yo DGD's first trip will not turn out good enough. Are digi's just not good for moving subjects? :confused3

Does it do this outside in the daylight also? The blurring you see normally means your shutter speed is too slow for the available light. It often happens when using fill-in flash when it is darker, the camera fires the flash to give the subject enough light but the shutter speed is a bit slower than normal so the backround can be seen. If it is doing this in daylight in full auto mode your camera probably needs to go see Sony repair. If it is not in full auto you need to check your settings.

jennymouse said:
I've got a Sony Cybershot 5.0 megapixels and it's great for taking my Ebay pics, but whenever I try to take a pic of people and someone moves (2yo) it doesn't freeze the motion and looks like, well, a blur. I've gone over and over the little book that came with the camera and don't see anything in there to tell me I need to do something with the settings. I'd like to take the digi to WDW, but I'm afraid the pics of my 2yo DGD's first trip will not turn out good enough. Are digi's just not good for moving subjects? :confused3
Hi jennymouse, what model Sony camera do you have? Hopefully it has some kind of manual or shutter priority setting, if not maybe a action or sports mode.

Sounds like you have the same camera I have and this is the very reason it is a backup camera now. It is great for stills but lacks the adjustability to make it truly versatile. Just make sure your flash is always on, this seems to help. I now have a Nikon D50 DSLR. If you do a lot of action, DSLR is the way to go. If this is just an occasional occurance, then just take it over. That is one of the true beauties of digital, you can erase the mistakes.

I have a Cannon Powershot S2 IS and it does the same thing! Very frustrating and there is no "action" or "sports" mode on this camera. When I'm inside I have to be sure I'm really steady and try to catch the ds who's 2 when he's not moving, otherwise it's just one big blur! Same thing on my daughters gymnastics photos - they seem to have tons of blur to them. Makes me want to get my old film slr repaired!!!

The Canon S2 dose have a Tv mode, which lets you set the shutter speed and the camera adjusts the other variables to get the best exposure. For indoor I would try to set the camera to as fast a shutter speed allowed while using a flash, set to ISO 200 with the image stabilization turned off. I have owned a few image stabilization Lens for my canon SLR's and they were never that great at catching action shots, I personally like a fast prime lens for action shots. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter