• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can't decide whether to request a server on the Dream??

foolish-mortal

Your ghost host
My husband and I will be on the Dream for the first time in a couple weeks. This will be our 4th DCL cruise. We know that DCL is is known for its exceptional MDR service. We've had a couple servers that were fine. But our last one on the Fantasy was disappointing. He was completely obsessed with his rating and that was literally all that we talked about throughout every single dinner. We had to constantly assure him that everything was 100% excellent over and over. Every bite of food, every course, that was the entire focus. It was honestly exhausting. We wouldn't have dared send something back or ask for something different. He was genuinely sweet, and I understand how important this is for them, but we really didn't enjoy our meals and started to dread them. We actually skipped our last dinner and ate room service in our room to take a break from talking about our excellent service, even though we would have rather gone to the MDR. Maybe I should have said something but I wasn't comfortable with it and didn't know how to address it.

I usually like to roll the dice and not try to plan out these types of things. But I am wondering if we should request a specific server on the Dream to make sure it's enjoyable. We love the dinners and I'm a little nervous at the thought of getting someone like our last server. For those who have requested specific servers - are you glad you did? And are there any recommendations?

It's funny, I have never requested a server. Some have been fantastic and some a little of what you are saying.
My family first cruise was a 7 night and we still talk about our servers, Brendan from South Africia and Ezkieal from Spain. Maybe because after that almost all our cruises short ones. It could have been that we remember because my son is named Brendan.

Are you sailing out of NY?

Sailing on the Dream on 11/04 out of NYC, here's to having a fantastic dining team.

Have a fantastic cruise.

My husband and I will be on the Dream for the first time in a couple weeks. This will be our 4th DCL cruise. We know that DCL is is known for its exceptional MDR service. We've had a couple servers that were fine. But our last one on the Fantasy was disappointing. He was completely obsessed with his rating and that was literally all that we talked about throughout every single dinner. We had to constantly assure him that everything was 100% excellent over and over. Every bite of food, every course, that was the entire focus. It was honestly exhausting. We wouldn't have dared send something back or ask for something different. He was genuinely sweet, and I understand how important this is for them, but we really didn't enjoy our meals and started to dread them. We actually skipped our last dinner and ate room service in our room to take a break from talking about our excellent service, even though we would have rather gone to the MDR. Maybe I should have said something but I wasn't comfortable with it and didn't know how to address it.

I usually like to roll the dice and not try to plan out these types of things. But I am wondering if we should request a specific server on the Dream to make sure it's enjoyable. We love the dinners and I'm a little nervous at the thought of getting someone like our last server. For those who have requested specific servers - are you glad you did? And are there any recommendations?

If you are made that uncomfortable, speak with the head server. The head server could speak with the server without mentioning your name - you're probably not the only ones who felt that way. You could do it away from your table if you wanted to.

But if you don't say anything they are never going to know that anything is wrong.

Maybe I should have said something but I wasn't comfortable with it and didn't know how to address it.
When this has happened for us, I will pull the head server aside, share the situation, and ask him/her to speak with the serving team about it. That has helped to stop the constant mentions. The head server is there to help address any problems.

If you are made that uncomfortable, speak with the head server. The head server could speak with the server without mentioning your name - you're probably not the only ones who felt that way. You could do it away from your table if you wanted to.

But if you don't say anything they are never going to know that anything is wrong.
When this has happened for us, I will pull the head server aside, share the situation, and ask him/her to speak with the serving team about it. That has helped to stop the constant mentions. The head server is there to help address any problems.
I second these suggestions, but first, I recommend bringing it up to the server in question. You can say something like, "we understand ratings are important to you, and if anything is amiss, we will bring that to your attention" and ask them nicely to stop with the constant reminders. I would give them a chance first to adjust, and if that doesn't work, then go to the head server.

For those who have requested specific servers - are you glad you did?
We've never requested specific servers. In 13 cruises we've only had one assistant server that was (apparently) new and hadn't reached her stride yet.

About the "how am I doing? I need EXCELLENT on the comments" thing.

After hearing the speech the first time, I inform the CM "OK, you've had your say, now, I don't want to hear it again." If they try starting it again the next night (or any other time) I remind them, along with letting them know that subsequent requests for excellent ratings WILL affect the rating I give. If it still happens, that's when I talk to the head server about it.

Last edited:
When they start the "excellent speech" I gently remind them we have been on many cruises so we know how important an excellent rating is on the comment card. Usually works.

It's interesting, we have only had one cruise when it was too much. It didn't bother me because I understood the fear that was behind it. Rather than going first to the head server try comforting and alleviating the fear with reassurance and kindly saying to the servers they don't need to mention it again or worry. Reducing their fear can often help.
Our last cruise was odd that it was never mentioned once. The one before that was only a very causal comment "I see you are platinum. I know you understand about the comment card". That was it.

Wow, this is very interesting to hear. Out of 5 cruises, I don't recall anything like this but it's good to know and hear people's ideas on addressing it. Our first 4 cruises were all great, every serving team was wonderful, some more than others but we never had issues.

Cruise number 5 (our last one) was a different story unfortunately, and we had several first time cruisers in our party of 10 adults, and some first time Disney cruisers. We didn't even have a "team" as the second "server" was barely every there. That left a lot of work for our team of ONE server and while he tried...he just did not do well. From serving some food VERY late at the table (more than once), to forgetting items often, and one night he even went around removing shrimp from the shells for some of us...and then not for others. Drink refills were sparse. Drink orders were rarely right. Honestly we were having such a good time overall that it was somewhat comical, especially when one of our party members picked up the coffee himself and poured it. Our mistake that we did not complain to the head server, who I'm not even sure came around and introduced themselves (though maybe?) which I know usually happens. Of course the comment card afterward was for SURE not EXCELLENT, but I did mention that it was obvious he was trying and overwhelmed being on his own.

I'm so hoping this upcoming Dream cruise is different and if it isn't I think we'll say something early. This will be the second Disney cruise for 4 of our party of 6, and I want them to experience just how great it CAN be to have a good team.

My wife and I will request our head server, his name is Witt and he has been with Disney a long time.
We have been on thirteen Disney cruises over the years and if Witt was on leave or another ship we have always been well taken care of by who ever we have been assigned.
I am not sure if requesting Witt and him not being on the ship has any influence on who we are assigned.

With that said we do request our server at Palo if they are not on leave.

I want them to experience just how great it CAN be to have a good team.

My wife and I will request our head server, his name is Witt
@71 Truck brings up a good point. If you're going to make a request, it's best to request ONE - either a server or a head server. Teams change all the time, and if your requested team is no longer together, the person assigning dining won't know which is more important and may either give you the one that wasn't or none at all.

@71 Truck brings up a good point. If you're going to make a request, it's best to request ONE - either a server or a head server. Teams change all the time, and if your requested team is no longer together, the person assigning dining won't know which is more important and may either give you the one that wasn't or none at all.
I would add onto this
Request a server
Or
Request a head server
Or
Request a specific restaurant on a specific day eg Pirate Night in Enchanted Garden

I would add onto this
Request a server
Or
Request a head server
Or
Request a specific restaurant on a specific day eg Pirate Night in Enchanted Garden

Yes. The more requests you have, the harder it is for those assigning dining - and if it's too complex, they'll basically just toss ALL your requests out the window and you get what you get.

Wow, this is very interesting to hear. Out of 5 cruises, I don't recall anything like this but it's good to know and hear people's ideas on addressing it. Our first 4 cruises were all great, every serving team was wonderful, some more than others but we never had issues.

Cruise number 5 (our last one) was a different story unfortunately, and we had several first time cruisers in our party of 10 adults, and some first time Disney cruisers. We didn't even have a "team" as the second "server" was barely every there. That left a lot of work for our team of ONE server and while he tried...he just did not do well. From serving some food VERY late at the table (more than once), to forgetting items often, and one night he even went around removing shrimp from the shells for some of us...and then not for others. Drink refills were sparse. Drink orders were rarely right. Honestly we were having such a good time overall that it was somewhat comical, especially when one of our party members picked up the coffee himself and poured it. Our mistake that we did not complain to the head server, who I'm not even sure came around and introduced themselves (though maybe?) which I know usually happens. Of course the comment card afterward was for SURE not EXCELLENT, but I did mention that it was obvious he was trying and overwhelmed being on his own.

I'm so hoping this upcoming Dream cruise is different and if it isn't I think we'll say something early. This will be the second Disney cruise for 4 of our party of 6, and I want them to experience just how great it CAN be to have a good team.
Wow, sounds like maybe the assistant server got sick or was otherwise unable to perform their duties so the server had to pull double duty. Sounds really stressful for them and not a great experience for you.

When they start the "excellent speech" I gently remind them we have been on many cruises so we know how important an excellent rating is on the comment card. Usually works.
I don’t recall having had constant reminders for excellent ratings, but that may be because I generally do what you do. After they mention it, I will reassure them that if there are any issues, we will definitely let them know and that we know how important the rating is with a “ don’t worry”. That seems to always work.

A few times, we get the “I see that you’re Platinum, so you know how important it is for us to provide excellent service”….I just reassure them that we will let them know of any issues.

In our experience, it seems it makes them feel better and a little more relaxed…at least with our table. It’s always a much more pleasant dining experience when the servers are relaxed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter