can't decide on ECV rental company

TexasTerri

Earning My Ears
Hi All, I am going to Universal May 25-May 28, staying at RPR. I need help deciding if I should rent from Gold Mobility or Buena Vista. I have 2 questions, please.

1) Does anyone know if the Buena Vista standard using the 10% Disboards discount link is different that the standard without the discount? The discounted one doesn't shows Weight Capacity: 325 lbs, Top Speed: 6 mph, while the other shows 375 lb capacity with other features not listed on the discount page.

2) I've never been to Universal. Where are charging plugs located w/i the parks? I've read that Gold batteries should last all day, but I'll probably need to charge the Buena Vista.

Since we aren't going for a week, BV with the Dis discount is about $50 cheaper and I don't have to wait for delivery/pickup. With Gold I get longer battery life, an extra battery, and I have to meet them.

I'd love opinions of the pros/cons of each. Thanks.

With Buena Vista, if you are staying at a Disney resort, you still have to meet them, they can no longer use Bell Services and they only deliver on a set schedule for each resort.

With Gold Mobility, you only have to meet them if you are staying at a Disney Resort, otherwise they will generally deliver to Bell Services at non-Disney resorts. But even if you do have to meet them, you will not be waiting on them, likely they will be waiting on you to arrive. You simply tell them when you want to meet and they will work with you. On rare occasions there may be a different time option than you would prefer due to staffing shortages right now, but even so, it is very rare.

Our experience with Buena Vista is that they are difficult to work with if you have an issue with their equipment, but do note that this was many years ago, well before Gold Mobility was even on the scene. They literally expected us to push the scooter to the front of the park and back to our resort when it died, as it was "after hours". On the other hand, when a scooter was having an issue, Gold Mobility would have come right to us inside the park, except they were able to talk us through how to fix the issue on the phone and it worked perfectly after that.

Hi All, I am going to Universal May 25-May 28, staying at RPR. I need help deciding if I should rent from Gold Mobility or Buena Vista. I have 2 questions, please.

1) Does anyone know if the Buena Vista standard using the 10% Disboards discount link is different that the standard without the discount? The discounted one doesn't shows Weight Capacity: 325 lbs, Top Speed: 6 mph, while the other shows 375 lb capacity with other features not listed on the discount page.

2) I've never been to Universal. Where are charging plugs located w/i the parks? I've read that Gold batteries should last all day, but I'll probably need to charge the Buena Vista.

Since we aren't going for a week, BV with the Dis discount is about $50 cheaper and I don't have to wait for delivery/pickup. With Gold I get longer battery life, an extra battery, and I have to meet them.

I'd love opinions of the pros/cons of each. Thanks.
I've had Gold drop off my scooter at a non-Disney owned hotel. I don't know why they couldn't drop it off at a Universal. Did you ask them?

I think Gold includes insurance - not sure if BV does. I used to rent from BV and had to pay extra for insurance because I wanted it. I also think Gold has an upgraded seat vs. the standard BV ones.

I haven't used BV since Gold came a long but BV went downhill and I got sub-par equipment from them with poor batteries. They once brought me a scooter that squeaked and it was LOUD. I got it replaced but they complained about it saying they don't replace scooters for squeaky wheels. It was unbearable to me - people literally turned around to look what the heck that noise was. Even if I was alone it would drive me crazy. I wasn't just being picky....IMHO. BV lost my scooter when they picked it up from my hotel -called me and said I didn't return it - that was a long story but they did find it. They also gave me a scooter that would hardly move - had to hang around the resort waiting for them to bring another. And lastly another scooter I got had horrendous battery life - I had to charge it twice a day while out. Perhaps their equipment has been refreshed but I don't know. Their telephone customer service left a lot to be desired as well.

We are staying at Royal Pacific, Gold is meet and greet only, BV can drop off at bell services. My concern is I'm flying SWA. My recent experience is they are often late (if they don't cancel completely - but that's another story), and I'll miss my meet time with Gold. When I spoke with them, they said they would try to reschedule delivery for the same day but couldn't guarantee it. We are supposed to land at 11:05am, pick up luggage, Tony Hinds transport to RPR with grocery stop. Assuming the flight it on time, what time would you suggest a meet time with Gold? Thanks.

We are staying at Royal Pacific, Gold is meet and greet only, BV can drop off at bell services. My concern is I'm flying SWA. My recent experience is they are often late (if they don't cancel completely - but that's another story), and I'll miss my meet time with Gold. When I spoke with them, they said they would try to reschedule delivery for the same day but couldn't guarantee it. We are supposed to land at 11:05am, pick up luggage, Tony Hinds transport to RPR with grocery stop. Assuming the flight it on time, what time would you suggest a meet time with Gold? Thanks.

I'd schedule for later in the afternoon to give yourself a lot of extra time just in case. I usually schedule for 3 hours after my flight lands to have them meet me at the resort at the earliest - and you also have a grocery stop...so maybe 3pm at the earliest? I'm able to walk to my room and start unpacking so I'm ok with that. If you find that your flight is leaving later I'd call them while you're still in the airport to reschedule.

Interesting that Universal hotels won't let other companies drop off scooters - I had not read that before but I tend to visit Disney more than US/IOA. You can always go with BV - would be helpful to find some current reviews on here to see if they've improved.

Interesting that only Royal Pacific is in person out of the Universal Hotels, all of the other hotels allow Bell Services to drop off, so I wonder if you might be able to arrange with one of the other Universal Hotels to allow a Bell Services drop off.

But, honestly, we have had delays of 5 to 6 hours and Gold was more than capable of accommodating. As for what time to meet, we just always tell Gold what time our flight will land and how we will be getting to the resort, then they are able to figure out when to be there, they usually just ask that we text when leaving the airport and they are waiting when we arrive. That is unless we arrive late at night, then we meet the next day.

Gold, and I assume other companies, use valet not bell services at PBH and probably other Universal resorts

We go 4 times a year. We rent 2-4 scooter each visit. After renting from various company's over the last twenty years I woulds not rent from anyone but Gold Mobility. Scooters are new, batteries always last all day, there seats are upgraded and more comfortable, they are flexible if your times change. Over all the best in every single way.

Thanks all. I’m going with Gold. Does anyone know where to park in charge at Royal Pacific Resort? I called their front desk and they told me outside the door. I’m not sure I feel comfortable with that. I’d prefer it be inside the room.

Thanks all. I’m going with Gold. Does anyone know where to park in charge at Royal Pacific Resort? I called their front desk and they told me outside the door. I’m not sure I feel comfortable with that. I’d prefer it be inside the room.
I had a scooter taken before at a Universal Resort leaving it charging in the custody of the bell services. There is a-lot of stuff going on at the bell desk and they accidentally handed my scooter out to someone else to use. It was fiasco getting my scooter back and lost an entire day working with security to recover it. I also had a scooter removed from the hallway at a Disney resort the maid service moved it because they said it was a trip hazard in the hallway. That was another several hours lost searching for it and when we got it back the battery was dead because they unplugged it before it had a chance to charge. After that I just roll the scooter into the room, and charge it knowing it going to be there and fully charged in the morning. Never had a problem since.

I had a scooter taken before at a Universal Resort leaving it charging in the custody of the bell services. There is a-lot of stuff going on at the bell desk and they accidentally handed my scooter out to someone else to use. It was fiasco getting my scooter back and lost an entire day working with security to recover it. I also had a scooter removed from the hallway at a Disney resort the maid service moved it because they said it was a trip hazard in the hallway. That was another several hours lost searching for it and when we got it back the battery was dead because they unplugged it before it had a chance to charge. After that I just roll the scooter into the room, and charge it knowing it going to be there and fully charged in the morning. Never had a problem since.
You should have taken your key with you. Universal team members can put the scooter in neutral and push. They wouldn't be able to give a keyless scooter to another guest.

You're not suppose to leave a scooter in the hallway. Some CM and TM may tell you it's OK. Its not.

I would bring it inside the room and charge at any available outlet.

Universal Resorts are one of the ones that they get stolen from the most, even if you take your key with you.

You should have taken your key with you. Universal team members can put the scooter in neutral and push. They wouldn't be able to give a keyless scooter to another guest.

You're not suppose to leave a scooter in the hallway. Some CM and TM may tell you it's OK. Its not.
Actually, the keys are universal and a lot of hotels have started buying extra keys online so that if a guest with a scooter looses their key they can provide one, so honestly taking your key with you doesn't always work, never leave it parked in public areas for charging overnight.

Actually, the keys are universal and a lot of hotels have started buying extra keys online so that if a guest with a scooter looses their key they can provide one, so honestly taking your key with you doesn't always work, never leave it parked in public areas for charging overnight.
The poster left the scooter with bell services to charge. Bell services might have thought twice before giving a keyless scooter to a different guest.

That time I did take my key but all the keys are universal. The bell desk still had my key with my name on it. The just used another key in it and gave it away.

I was told by the the bell hop that brought the luggage up that it was fine to leave it in the hall to charge, then found out after it was missing that your not allowed to by the manager. lesson learned.

The poster left the scooter with bell services to charge. Bell services might have thought twice before giving a keyless scooter to a different guest.
No, they would have thought they lost the keys, have seen that happen too many times to count. And I wouldn't rely on Bell Services to charge it, too many things could go wrong.

Moral of the story is if you stay in charge of securing your scooter in your room and charging them yourself. You know it's been charged, and will be there when you need it in the morning ready to go.

Interesting that only Royal Pacific is in person out of the Universal Hotels, all of the other hotels allow Bell Services to drop off, so I wonder if you might be able to arrange with one of the other Universal Hotels to allow a Bell Services drop off.

But, honestly, we have had delays of 5 to 6 hours and Gold was more than capable of accommodating. As for what time to meet, we just always tell Gold what time our flight will land and how we will be getting to the resort, then they are able to figure out when to be there, they usually just ask that we text when leaving the airport and they are waiting when we arrive. That is unless we arrive late at night, then we meet the next day.
I reserved for my trip in September and Aventura is also in-person only as well.

Just came back from a week staying at Royal Pacific. My mom has mobility issues. She used the Gold Mobility scooter all day long and had no issues. The battery didn't lose more than one bar the whole day. The employees were awesome at drop off and pick up, answering her questions with great care. Honestly, the best part of using this scooter over the other ones we saw in the parks - it does NOT beep when backing up. The other scooters were so annoying. She had no problem charging her scooter in her room at night. I highly suggest using Gold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter