Can't book Johnny Rockets?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi guys, I have made my dining reservations for specialty dining yesterday and I have decided to book Jamie Oliver's Italian and Chop's Grille for lunch (the menu sounds great and it was much more affordable than dinner).

But to my surprise, I noticed that it was not possible to book Johnny Rockets?

Does that mean it's only going to be available later or it is walk-in and you pay "à la carte"?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Rocket's is walk in. It's a flat fee of $6.95 ( although some people have reported has gone up to $9.95 for some ships) soda and shakes are extra. It's usually pretty empty.

ETA
I've read it sometimes gets busy the last day on Oasis class ships. People in Boardwalk balconies get a free meal, a lot of people wait until the last day to get their free meal.

Ah that explains why I could not find it.

I guess I'll have to buy a little OBC.

What do you get for 6,95-9,95$?

It is free if you go there for breakfast. Mind you, the selection is minimal, but if you’re on Harmony, sit outside and enjoy a quiet Boardwalk.

Ah. Was guessing Harmony because it’s the other ship with a Jamie’s.

They’ve got the traditional eggs-pork-potatoes-toast plate, pancakes, omelettes and French toast.

They also have a plate with eggs and a burger patty - beef, turkey or veggie.

Anthem’s Johnny Rockets is different than the JRs on other class of ships. It’s essentially a counter service on Anthem, while there are servers on other ships.

You can order whatever you want on the menu, but milkshakes will cost extra. (On top of the charge you’re paying to dine there anyway)

What is so special about Johnny Rockets? You can find them in local malls. Why would anyone want to pay extra to eat there plus another extra charge for the milkshakes???

What is so special about Johnny Rockets? You can find them in local malls. Why would anyone want to pay extra to eat there plus another extra charge for the milkshakes???

Looks like OP is from Canada and wouldn't know. I was going to say they are like Steak & Shake but I don't think those are there either.

Looks like OP is from Canada and wouldn't know. I was going to say they are like Steak & Shake but I don't think those are there either.

You are 100% right. I'm from Canada, never tried Johnny Rockets or Steak & Shake.

What about Five Guys?

You are 100% right. I'm from Canada, never tried Johnny Rockets or Steak & Shake.

What about Five Guys?

Probably similar, we have Five Guys here but I've never gone in .... but they are all about same; burgers, fries, shakes, basic fast food that may or may not have a wait person. We have always skipped it on the cruise ships cause we can get a free burger in the buffet area.

We have Five Guys up here. Basically burgers and fries, but not really a diner style like Johnny Rockets is.

Burger style is the same - grilled on a flat top.

Probably similar, we have Five Guys here but I've never gone in .... but they are all about same; burgers, fries, shakes, basic fast food that may or may not have a wait person. We have always skipped it on the cruise ships cause we can get a free burger in the buffet area.

I love Five Guys. We started having them in Montreal a few years ago. Good burgers!

Since the price is not very high we'll most likely try it. If it's not good we won't go back. :)

I guess my question is: is it better than McDonald's?

Yes, it is good, but just more like okay good. I am a big McDonald's fan and go there regularly so I may not be the best judge! I would pick McDonald's over JR. Just a better value. The JR near us closed a few years ago. I think it was open maybe 5 years. And we live in a boom area that is growing and has always been growing. It's not like NY where if you can make it there you can make it anywhere. If you can't make it where we live, you probably can't make it anywhere else. Lol. I was surprised to see it had closed but then I remembered when we got our bill thinking the prices were crazy high. We never went back. I guess other people didn't also. The concept of JR is good, execution so-so, prices are nuts.
I was also surprised when i saw RC put JR on its ships because at that point JR seemed on the way down. This is just my perception. When Carnival put Guy Fieri on its ships, Guy was just taking off (we had not heard of him at that point), which seems like when you would want to bring someone on. So Carnival picked well IMHO, plus obviously no extra charge for the cruiser, and much, much better burgers.

We have eaten at JR once in our local mall area. Nothing special at all unfortunately. I am surprised RC has them.
It does make sense from the perspective that it's a place kids might want to go vs the Chefs Table or Wonderland. The fact that there's a charge for it is what's surprising.

I guess my question is: is it better than McDonald's?
It does taste better (I went a couple of times when JR was at Vaughan Mills), but in terms of value for money McDonalds is better. I still love my McMuffins though.

If I were to rate it on a scale of some of the burger places we have up here, I'd put it ahead of McDs/BK, behind Five Guys/Hero/Burgers Priest (which is good, but not as good as local hype suggests), and about even with Harvey's/Wendys/A&W. The advantage JR has over all of these places is that it's a sit down diner, whereas the places I've named are all fast food/fast casual.

I am a big McDonald's fan and go there regularly so I may not be the best judge! I would pick McDonald's over JR.
I think I might as well. But like you, my tastes might be compromised - I'm still a sucker for Whattaburger due to my time living in Houston.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter