Can't afford a gym membership so need to work out at home what worked for you?

Krischaser

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
I can't afford a gym membership and need to work out at home to loose 20lbs. What worked for you? How long did it take? Any free weight loss sights like weight watchers? Help! Thanks :goodvibes

Im also interested. I have the "golds gym bike" that you put under your desk but i use it more for a foot stool ... like i am now... :rotfl:

Nothing....and I mean NOTHING worked for me until I bought one of Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's.

She's a great motivator, and her workout is easy and effective.

I love the firm. When I did it I became addicted. Wel,l I haven't used it in awhile but I enjoy looking at it. :rolleyes1

Nothing....and I mean NOTHING worked for me until I bought one of Leslie Sansone's walking DVD's.

She's a great motivator, and her workout is easy and effective.

I literally came in here to talk about these DVDs! They are AMAZING and she is so fun to exercise with - not too peppy or preachy. I've lost about 40lbs so far and I'm in so much better shape.

My friend who is a trainer gave me this:
50 jumping jacks
40 squats (with or without a dumbell)
30 crunches (vary them with traditional and the ones where you raise your legs)
20 push ups
10 arm curls, each arm

Do this 5 times and he considers that a great workout. So do I. In a month with this, eating better and lots of power walking or adding a hula hoop or jumping rope, I've lost 7lbs. Good luck and have fun!!

I literally came in here to talk about these DVDs! They are AMAZING and she is so fun to exercise with - not too peppy or preachy. I've lost about 40lbs so far and I'm in so much better shape.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE her!!! She's not the least bit intimidating, and never makes you feel bad. I remember trying so many other DVD's, and thinking "is this broad kidding me???" and giving up.

Not so with Leslie. She's the best!

Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred dvd is quite good. I like the dailyplate for tracking food intake, calories, etc. The dailyplate is free and can be found on the livestrong website. The pyramid tracker (similar to daily plate) on the USDA website is also a great tool. Good luck!!!

I second Jillian Michael's shred dvds. If week 1 is too intense, hang out there until you get it, then move to week 2. She combines cardio, toning and abs. I do this 20 min. workout, then head out for a run or walk or bike ride

I use My Net Diary which is just a calorie tracker and try to eat health 90% of the time. I exercise with video games (love the dance ones!) and swimming in the pool.

On weekends I go to Disney (hour and a half away) and walk all day! :woohoo: I don't worr as much about calories and just snack though I try to keep the bad stuff (CUPCAKES!!!) down to just one, lol.

Down 20 pounds in 2 months, lol...Disney Diet!

I second Jillian Michael's shred dvds. If week 1 is too intense, hang out there until you get it, then move to week 2. She combines cardio, toning and abs. I do this 20 min. workout, then head out for a run or walk or bike ride

I have to 3rd Jullian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd! I am using it and doing Couch to 5K running program. I am currently on Week 5.

Another vote for 30 day Shred. It's an amazing workout and only 30 minutes a day. It is hard in the beginning and you will feel it (especially the first 3 days) but stick with it and you will be amazed at how much stronger you are in just 30 days.

For anyone interested, Leslie Sansone's first 30 minute basic workout is available on youtube in 2 parts. It will give you a good feel for what she is all about.

We use our recreation center. DH walks the indoor track and I use the multifitness room which has treadmill elipticles and weights. The track is free the fitness center is very reasonably priced and doesn't require a contract :thumbsup2. Aside from that, walking at the park before picking up DD from school is the other option for me.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Insanity". Its a hard core 60 day workout. I didnt really need to lose any weight, but I lost about 10 lbs in a couple weeks. Then at that point I just wanted to maintain what I had lost. DH lost about 20 lbs in just over a month.

You can pull up some of the workouts on You Tube.

P90X! If you can stick with it. The first few weeks hurt, but it works if you keep pushing play! I was doing good, and now I am getting back on the wagon. All of the gear you need for it (bands or dumbells, heart monitor, yoga mat)can easily fit in a laundry basket.
If you look on ebay, you can get the DVD set for way less than retail. That is the great thing about workout stuff... it is pretty easy to find in great shape second hand, as many people's effort doesn't match their intentions.

Might not work for everyone, not everyone has a pool they can use year round. I use the pool in my community and a pool noodle. Started with the reg little noodle then 2 reg noodles now I use the big fat noodle. It is amazing how much resistance ya get with a noodle an I can get pretty much a full work out with it. Then I either swim laps or do an aerobic workout in pool or combo of both. Most days ride my bike thru my community 2 or 3 times.

At 1st the inches was dropping FAST now it's slower but getting there. I'm down about 4 sizes not really dropping pounds but building muscle. I'm also older than most of you here an let me tell you as you age it's much harder to get in shape. I can do many excersises in the water that I'd never be able to do out of the water.

I started running May 1 and have lost 50 pounds so far. I used the couch to 5 k app and now run 3 miles a day five days a week. I have been losing at least 1-2 pounds each week. I have also cut out most carbs except for one cheat day and am happy with my progress. I have only 20 more to go!

Couch to 5k, although in a lot of parts of the country, its hard to run in the winter (mine included). We put a treadmill in the basement because I'm too old to break a hip on the ice.

Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? The one I joined costs just $10 per month.

Otherwise, you can just walk in your neighborhood or go to your local high school and walk on the track. If you have and Ipod or other MP3 player you can load it up with music and a couple podcasts to keep you occupied while you walk. With faster music I tend to walk faster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter