Can't accomodate food allergies....my experience....

I'm curious; what did he eat last time you went? Have his allergies changed since then? I can't imagine that chef won't prepare similar meals this time. Obviously if some of the foods were made with packaged products that'll be an issue since so many vendors have changed since 2009, but if you're talking about foods made with fresh ingredients then unless something has changed with his allergies since your previous trips, I would expect chefs to handle his allergies exactly as they did previously. While contact before trips has definitely become limited to almost non-existant most of the time, chefs have still been taking great care of us and this is as recently as 2 weeks ago.

I can understand the frustation in dealing with food allergies. It's not easy trying to make a trip absolutely perfect, when in reality, it is so difficult to do. I just took my SIL on her first trip to Disney, which was also her first trip into Florida, AND only her 2nd time into the USA. She doesn't travel, her allergies make it too difficult. But hearing from everyone on here how great Disney is with allergies, made it easier to start to look into planning meals, cause other than that, it was going to be meals in the room with a mini fridge and microwave:thumbsup2

My SIL is allergice to:

peanuts
treenuts
shellfish
sunflower seeds/oil
beans - any kind
all fruit (except pineapple, grapefruit, watermelon, lemon, oranges)
radishes
raw carrots
green beans
sweet potatos
squash
coconut
zucinni
nutmeg
cajun seasoning
'all' spice
no wine or beer (has extreme seasonal allergies, tried beer 2x ended up with hives in mouth and swollen tongue, yet can eat bread products?)

She ate SOOOO good!!! While some chefs contacted me prior to the trip, some did not. We went with the attitude, that if we got there and it worked out, it worked out. It's kind of how she deals with life. She knows that if she goes to an amusement park for a day, she can't eat there food, she has been told, 'sorry, we can't help you'. Each time we sat down, the server brought the chef over, who was EXTREMELY helpful and went over everything....like, in detail everything. It was crazy. She was in awe. They were more than willing to make her something, switch up sides, to accomodate. Her meals turned out wonderfully. She has never eaten like such a 'normal' person before.

We only did a short trip, so our list of restaurants is short, but here is were we ate and had wonderful experiences:

1900 Park Fare; can't say enough about this place. SIL had her first dessert in 12 yrs in a restaurant, had tears in her eyes. Chef TJ was FANTASTIC!!!
Sci-Fi Diner
Tusker House
Cape May Cafe
Cosmic Rays
Pizzafari
Port Orleans Riverside CS
Casey's Corner

While there were other places we would of loved to have tried, time didn't allow it. BUT, she knows now how well Disney works with those with allergies.

I do wish you a great trip while you and your family are there. I hope it is magical and works out. And I really hope it is not your last trippixiedust:

I would strongly recommend you check out the land pavillion at Epcot. Garden Grill gets all of their fruits vegetables from the pavillion and they don't use pesticides. You said he doesn't eat fish but they do get their fish from there as well

Not completely true - they get some of their produce and fish from the greenhouses, but not all (it's not big enough to supply the whole restaurant, and they do have crop failures), and they also use fish pellets that may contain corn. They also have infestations that require some pesitcides, although they are used offsite.

Have you thought about buying some hydroflasks, heating up the food, and taking it with you? They do keep things at the right temps. I really have no other advice except to say I empathize with you but also am not sure what you want the chef to do when you need organic food which Disney doesn't have. I think if you go to someone with a specific request for a food item they would either say sure, we can do that or no, sorry and then it would be clear. Telling them what you can't have is harder than telling them what you want them to do.

Good luck. I have a child who will only eat yogurt and crackers so I am used to bringing my cooler everywhere we go. Getting ice at CS places to keep things cold all day. Paying for character meals where he doesn't eat anything at all. Food is a tough issue.

I want to point out that the restaurants are not allowd to heat food for people for food safety reasons.
They can only bring things into the kitchen from commercial sources, so they can't heat things (or even bring into the kitchen) if they are not from one of the restaurant's suppliers.
I can understand your frustration.

If you do take his food into the parks with you, maybe you could heat it up at first aid or the baby care center. I don't know if that would be allowed, but people with babies can heat stuff up so I don't see why you couldn't.
I don't think First Aid has any microwaves - at least I have never send any.

Baby care does have microwaves and I am quite sure you could use those.
Ok here is an idea for in the resorts ts meals. For the restaurant that says they cant heat his food but you need to bring his, why not just sneak down to the qs location. They all have microwaves. Nobody will even think twice about u leaving and coming back in. I would bring something to clean the microwave with for cross contamination, but otherwise hot meals for him.

If you guys are having a 3 course meal why not pack him one. Yeah it might not be as fancy but it can still be great. The less u stress the less he will.

Just an idea hope this helps
I don't know if they are staying at on site or off site villa, but all of the on site DVC villas have microwaves in the rooms. The off site villas I have seen had microwaves. So, while they are at their resort, they should not have any problem with warming food.

That is good advice for people staying in a room at one of the resorts with a food court - most of those food courts do have microwaves.

The quick service locations in the parks mostly don't have microwaves.

Hydrofoil or thermos is a good suggestion.

Other people have also found it helpful to do as several other posters suggested - give a list of things you can have will be helpful to let the chef picture what could possibly be made. And, a written list of the problem foods is also a good idea so they have something to refer to - especially as the list is long.

I am just back from a trip with my son who is nut free and can't have any gluten. This is including it in the form of brown rice, corn...he eats no grains basicly. He also can't have seeds. It was a complete nightmare at most restaurants. The chef's were so rude and many brought out things he could not have. He was so sick after three of his meals. It does not cause him to have any issues with breathing yet, thank God, but after reading your situation, I would not eat in Disney. The only places that we had good luck were Boma, CRT and 'Ohana. We had an awful time at Le Celliar, Tusker House, Germany, CP and Hoop Dee Doo. (I forget where else we had reservations right now) If you have a basic allergy like dairy or nuts or even just wheat, I think you are fine but when you start adding more and more, it is just to much for them to handle.

I know it stinks. We were so excited because we never get to eat out and my other children miss out sometimes. When we go back in December we will pack our food.

I am just back from a trip with my son who is nut free and can't have any gluten. This is including it in the form of brown rice, corn...he eats no grains basicly. He also can't have seeds. It was a complete nightmare at most restaurants. The chef's were so rude and many brought out things he could not have. He was so sick after three of his meals. It does not cause him to have any issues with breathing yet, thank God, but after reading your situation, I would not eat in Disney. The only places that we had good luck were Boma, CRT and 'Ohana. We had an awful time at Le Celliar, Tusker House, Germany, CP and Hoop Dee Doo. (I forget where else we had reservations right now) If you have a basic allergy like dairy or nuts or even just wheat, I think you are fine but when you start adding more and more, it is just to much for them to handle.

I know it stinks. We were so excited because we never get to eat out and my other children miss out sometimes. When we go back in December we will pack our food.

There is no gluten in brown rice or corn. It is found in wheat, rye and barley. While your child may have problems with these it is not a gluten problem.

There is no gluten in brown rice or corn. It is found in wheat, rye and barley. While your child may have problems with these it is not a gluten problem.

I am not looking for anyone to diagnose my son or looking to debate what food contains gluten. I am only posting to help others understand that when your allergies are more complex disney isn't as good as someone who maybe has a dairy allergy or nut allergy or even just a "wheat" allergy. I would like to spare others from our disasters we experienced. If my son had issues with his breathing from his food allergy then I would not risk eating at Disney.

With all that said, people who have gluten issues may be able to tolerate oats. There are plenty of people who can't. Just because it can be tolerated by some does not mean oats are gluten free. Gluten is composed of two smaller proteins named prolamine and glutelin. Prolamine is the most studied. Different grains have different kinds of prolamine. Gliadin is the name of the prolamine found in wheat. It has been studied as the cause in celiac disease. But, there is so much left unstudied right now. Research is starting to show that it is important to pay attention to all grains including corn and rice. They do contain "gluten type protein". If anyone reading this has issues with gluten that has removed the standard wheat, rye, and barley yet still having problems; remove corn and rice and see what happens. It has saved my sons life. You can read more about these studies on Town Wellness Center, Dr. Peter Osborne's website.

WATCH THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu9ZHb7oUqQ

I don't think the PP was trying to diagnose, but may more have been trying to point out that if you just said "no gluten" they would not have known not to give him corn, rice or oats because they do not contain the protein commonly identified as gluten. As you said they have "gluten-like proteins", which are still not "gluten". I don't know anything about how you ordered, did you list everything out for them, or just say "no gluten" and expect them to know you meant rice, corn and oats that are not cross contaminated? I really do want to know, because if you said "no corn" that is really scary. :scared:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. My son has a lot of allergies and we just went for two weeks. Even though they are not allergens for him, he barely had rice, oats or corn. Buckwheat was our trouble one, it's like they were so proud of themselves for being free of everything else they forgot to check for it. The large enjoy life cookies have it, which he was given a few times.

I am not looking for anyone to diagnose my son or looking to debate what food contains gluten. I am only posting to help others understand that when your allergies are more complex disney isn't as good as someone who maybe has a dairy allergy or nut allergy or even just a "wheat" allergy. I would like to spare others from our disasters we experienced. If my son had issues with his breathing from his food allergy then I would not risk eating at Disney.

With all that said, people who have gluten issues may be able to tolerate oats. There are plenty of people who can't. Just because it can be tolerated by some does not mean oats are gluten free. Gluten is composed of two smaller proteins named prolamine and glutelin. Prolamine is the most studied. Different grains have different kinds of prolamine. Gliadin is the name of the prolamine found in wheat. It has been studied as the cause in celiac disease. But, there is so much left unstudied right now. Research is starting to show that it is important to pay attention to all grains including corn and rice. They do contain "gluten type protein". If anyone reading this has issues with gluten that has removed the standard wheat, rye, and barley yet still having problems; remove corn and rice and see what happens. It has saved my sons life. You can read more about these studies on Town Wellness Center, Dr. Peter Osborne's website.

WATCH THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu9ZHb7oUqQ

I don't think the PP was trying to diagnose, but may more have been trying to point out that if you just said "no gluten" they would not have known not to give him corn, rice or oats because they do not contain the protein commonly identified as gluten. As you said they have "gluten-like proteins", which are still not "gluten". I don't know anything about how you ordered, did you list everything out for them, or just say "no gluten" and expect them to know you meant rice, corn and oats that are not cross contaminated? I really do want to know, because if you said "no corn" that is really scary. :scared:

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. My son has a lot of allergies and we just went for two weeks. Even though they are not allergens for him, he barely had rice, oats or corn. Buckwheat was our trouble one, it's like they were so proud of themselves for being free of everything else they forgot to check for it. The large enjoy life cookies have it, which he was given a few times.

I understand that most people do not include corn and rice in the gluten family as of yet until science cathces up. I was very very clear with my sons allergy and listed them each as their own.

He was given bread. Guess what it was made with? He was given powdered eggs after I made it very clear they need to be real eggs. The chef lied to me about them and you could see and taste that they were not real eggs. Those eggs also had a piece of glass in them that thank God he had picked through and found it before it was in his mouth. The glass came from a rim of a glass. This was at Tusker House. I was worried that someone else may have other pieces of glasss in their food so I let the chef know. He told me it didnt come form his kitchen. I did not bring the glass with me. It matched the rim of the juice glass perfect and was in the middle of the egg. My son was not harmed due to the fact he found it before it went into his mouth.The chef also brought out a stew of tomato, squash and peppers which these were listed as things he can not have.

At our very first meal he was told he could have the potato and cheese bake. I questioned the chef because I thought they would have a flour to thicken them. He claimed no. When he started throwing up a different chef said "oh sorry those have wheat flour in them." There is not enough space here to type all our problems we encountered. The reason I have responded to this post is if my child was so severe that he could not breathe if he was to eat something he should not have, I would not risk it. It is unfortuate enough that my son was sick.

I would like to add Brandon (sp?) at 'Ohana was wonderful. Very nice, caring. Double checked things and made Jared feel so special. Boma with chef Chris (need to double check his name) was also wonderful. He was very nice and did not make me feel bad. I had butterflies in my belly everytime I had to talk to the chef. My son felt so bad and wanted me to cancel but didnt want his family to pay because he is sick. We did not even attempt any CS meals as I figured it would just be way to hard and to much risk.

I just would like others to know that it is not all wonderful for everyone and Disney really needs to work on how to handle people with mutiltiple allergies better. I do think there is enough people where they need to have someone who deals only in allergies in the restaurants. I did see the same chef seemed run ragged by all of the tables that had allergy issues plus having to go and fix the meals. Maybe they are just over worked.

I am hoping that Disney is able to use what we experienced to make it better for others. I know that allergies are a big deal, a huge liabilty and a pain in the rear. I apprecaite that they are trying to make it enjoyable for those in that catorgory. But for us they missed the mark.

I just would like others to know that it is not all wonderful for everyone and Disney really needs to work on how to handle people with mutiltiple allergies better. I do think there is enough people where they need to have someone who deals only in allergies in the restaurants. I did see the same chef seemed run ragged by all of the tables that had allergy issues plus having to go and fix the meals. Maybe they are just over worked.

This is not going to be a popular opinion, and at the risk of starting World War 3, I'll state it anyhow- I think that there are a lot more people requesting special diet help for a variety of reasons. Part of it is social media and networking like this, and the word has gotten out that Disney is amazing and accommodating for people with special diets. I really think that's a huge part of it. I also think there's more awareness of special diets and things like celiac disease and a higher percentage of people are being diagnosed.

BUT, and this is the part that will not sit well with some people- I also think that it is trendy and some people are doing it as the latest fad diet to try, just like low carb or whatever else. And I think that those same people who have no real medical need are still expecting that service when they are at Disney and are making the process slower for those of us with true medical needs. There was a conversation on my moms group the other day about going gluten free for weight loss- no medical need or reason, just weight loss. Let's face it- the more tables the chefs have to come out to, the more work it is, the harder it is on them. But what's the answer there? And no, I'm not trying to say that I'm more "entitled" to special help than someone else is. I don't really know how to manage it when it's lifestyle choice vs allergies

Holy cow! That sounds terrible!

You did complain to special diets, right? I made sure they knew exactly where we had trouble and what happened and they seemed very appreciative for the feedback. We had a chef whose response to "no soy" was "well, the vans waffles only have a little soy flour, so that should be fine" :faint: I am also glad that while I hate to see him sick, my DS has not yet had reactions that would be deadly.
It sounds like you have your hands full finding food for him, I'll keep my fingers crossed that he grows out of some of it. (we can always hope!)

ZPT1022- I think you are 100% correct. Not too long ago I had an aunt asking if we had tried some gluten free brand because she was on this new diet... and that was the first thing I thought of- now everybody is going to just think DS is being pickey.

mistysue said:
ZPT1022- I think you are 100% correct. Not too long ago I had an aunt asking if we had tried some gluten free brand because she was on this new diet... and that was the first thing I thought of- now everybody is going to just think DS is being pickey.

I think ZPT is right too. People hear special treatment and want to get in on it. My friend was mad because because my son got his grilled cheese shaped like mickey mouse (my son has FA) and her kids' weren't......

This is not going to be a popular opinion, and at the risk of starting World War 3, I'll state it anyhow- I think that there are a lot more people requesting special diet help for a variety of reasons. Part of it is social media and networking like this, and the word has gotten out that Disney is amazing and accommodating for people with special diets. I really think that's a huge part of it. I also think there's more awareness of special diets and things like celiac disease and a higher percentage of people are being diagnosed.

BUT, and this is the part that will not sit well with some people- I also think that it is trendy and some people are doing it as the latest fad diet to try, just like low carb or whatever else. And I think that those same people who have no real medical need are still expecting that service when they are at Disney and are making the process slower for those of us with true medical needs. There was a conversation on my moms group the other day about going gluten free for weight loss- no medical need or reason, just weight loss. Let's face it- the more tables the chefs have to come out to, the more work it is, the harder it is on them. But what's the answer there? And no, I'm not trying to say that I'm more "entitled" to special help than someone else is. I don't really know how to manage it when it's lifestyle choice vs allergies

As the mom of a kiddo with Celiac, the GF for weight loss thing drives me nuts! GF foods are generally higher in calories and fat than their glutenfull counterparts. I've certainly lost weight since our household became gluten free, but its not from cutting out gluten. It's because we no longer have bread, crackers, or cookies hanging around.

Right now, it's pretty obvious my just-turned-two year old isn't faking it, but I hate it for her when she's 10 and people assume she's just dieting. :furious:

Exactly!

I was going to quote that statement as well. Disney is kind enough to make an attempt. My sister appreciates it with her peanut/nut allergies.

My daughter with 8 food allergies, I brought her food along with me. I didn't feel that Disney needed to accommodate her. They provide a menu and we select from it.

She began sublingual allergy drops earlier this year or her food allergies. In these few months she has now been able to tolerate beef. We are tremendous ly excited about that. I might make he suggestion that the OP look into this treatment at the clinic in LaCrosse Wisconsin .

I don't want my child miserable from her allergy reactions, but I sure dont want her limited in her choices in life due to such extreme restrictions.

Maybe this will help a little-- as a child I was HIGHLY allergic to corn so I do know what you are going through in that regard. And YES, it seems like corn is in or around *everything*. I DID outgrown my food allergies-so hang in there as there is hope. It started getting better when I hit puberty.

I am an organic, grass-fed meat producer. You are NOT going to find those meats at WDW and frankly, I think it is an unreasonable request. Why not do what _I_ do and just eat vegetarian or seafood while there?

Take organic-y fruits and snacks with you (I do) to enjoy in the parks and eat one BIG meal at your resort.

While your list is quite overwhelming--I think it is do-able. Take a deep breath and be prepared to be in charge of more food prepping and take along than perhaps is ideal.

As a kid I could not eat meat, eggs or dairy that got corn either. Nor could I have have tomatos (which are in almost everything), green beans or black pepper. Yet I stayed over at friends, and ate away from home with NO expectation of special food prep at restaurants for me. When I went to friends' houses my mom sent me with packages of frozen meat and veggies that I could eat--enough for everyone to enjoy! I think I got invited over *just* for that!

I ate sandwiches of what I could have when others ordered off menus. Usually there would be a dessert I could have or some other something. I loved (and still love) fried chicken and I virtually lived on fried chicken legs packed in small coolers.

HANG IN THERE! You can still have a great vacation.

I think ZPT is right too. People hear special treatment and want to get in on it. My friend was mad because because my son got his grilled cheese shaped like mickey mouse (my son has FA) and her kids' weren't......

One only has to look at some of the food reports to see that people ARE asking for special treatment and ARE making up 'food issues' on their reservations just so they can get it. It's pretty pathetic. But the same goes for those people who are making things up to get GACs. There isn't a lot that Disney can do about it, and in the end, it hurts the people who need these services the most.

The OP - I've gone back and forth with disney for years because they refuse to provide nutritional information on their foods. It's like they don't quite understand that my son stays alive (and that's not an understatement) based on how much insulin I give him, and part of that calculation is based on how many carbs he's eating. It's important to know. But disney refuses. So yes, they're great if you have something like a peanut allergy, or even celiac they're getting better. But to learn exactly how many carbs are in one item? forget it.

The OP - I've gone back and forth with disney for years because they refuse to provide nutritional information on their foods. It's like they don't quite understand that my son stays alive (and that's not an understatement) based on how much insulin I give him, and part of that calculation is based on how many carbs he's eating. It's important to know. But disney refuses. So yes, they're great if you have something like a peanut allergy, or even celiac they're getting better. But to learn exactly how many carbs are in one item? forget it.

That's an easy one - my mom always carries around a booklet that has the carb/calorie listing for food she eats in restaurants. I think they have apps for smartphones and ipods that do the same thing.

That's an easy one - my mom always carries around a booklet that has the carb/calorie listing for food she eats in restaurants. I think they have apps for smartphones and ipods that do the same thing.

of course we do the same. But it's about as accurate as knowing that all xxx food "usually" has peanuts (or gluten, or whatever). You just don't know what's in DISNEY's food.

Not all rolls are made the same. Not every serving of pasta is the same. Not every stir fry is the same. My meatloaf that I make at home might contain more or less bread / carbs than the meatloaf served in disney and might not come anywhere close to what's found in a book or app. Only simply needs to look at those apps to see the huge variation in carb content for the same food. Even something easy like knowing if a roll is whole wheat vs white makes a difference. How many carbs? How much fiber?

It's not as easy as just looking up the carbs in a book, otherwise we could say exactly the same for any food allergy , "just look it up. Surely every meatloaf contains the same exact things!" That would be a stupid assertion.

There are also a lot more parents putting their kids on special diets for behavior modification. While I agree it can lead to great changes, it's not the same as a [life threatening] food allergy! Not that anyone wants behaviors t regress during a vacation either.

She began sublingual allergy drops earlier this year or her food allergies. In these few months she has now been able to tolerate beef. We are tremendous ly excited about that. I might make he suggestion that the OP look into this treatment at the clinic in LaCrosse Wisconsin .

I find this very exciting. When I first met with DH and my allergist he was clear that food allergies couldn't be treated. Now I have some research to do!!!

Perhaps we will see a shift with the new "healthy foods" kick at Disney (then again if they were that into healthy foods, why would the QS/TS meals on the meal plans only include desserts??? Cause everyone needs 2-3 desserts per day???

of course we do the same. But it's about as accurate as knowing that all xxx food "usually" has peanuts (or gluten, or whatever). You just don't know what's in DISNEY's food.

Not all rolls are made the same. Not every serving of pasta is the same. Not every stir fry is the same. My meatloaf that I make at home might contain more or less bread / carbs than the meatloaf served in disney and might not come anywhere close to what's found in a book or app. Only simply needs to look at those apps to see the huge variation in carb content for the same food. Even something easy like knowing if a roll is whole wheat vs white makes a difference. How many carbs? How much fiber?

It's not as easy as just looking up the carbs in a book, otherwise we could say exactly the same for any food allergy , "just look it up. Surely every meatloaf contains the same exact things!" That would be a stupid assertion.

But even at Disney, they could only get the recipe version of the nutrition facts, as each chef might have some variance when preparing it.

OP--Good Luck and keep holding Disney to high standards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter