Canon Rebel XT and Lenses?

garris3404

Focus on the magic!
I'm planning on purchasing a Canon Rebel XT. I currently have the 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 with Canon lenes (28-80 and 75-300). Last time at WDW I carried both lenes (switching when necessary). I would like to carry just 1 lens. Do you have any recomendations? Is the Sigma 28-300 DG any good?

Sigma makes a fairly decent lens. I tend to be a speed demon though so a lot of these wide zooms are too slow for my taste. Since a lot of my shooting is action sports related, I always look for an f2.8 lense but those get expensive pretty quickly. You need to decide what kinds of shooting you normally do then find a lens that matches the criteria. If for example you do a lot of low-light and indoor photography, that Sigma lens may not be the best choice due to its f-stop limitations. If on the other hand you do mostly outdoor daylight photography it should work fairly well for you.

Jeff

AZ JazzyJ said:
Sigma makes a fairly decent lens. I tend to be a speed demon though so a lot of these wide zooms are too slow for my taste. Since a lot of my shooting is action sports related, I always look for an f2.8 lense but those get expensive pretty quickly. You need to decide what kinds of shooting you normally do then find a lens that matches the criteria. If for example you do a lot of low-light and indoor photography, that Sigma lens may not be the best choice due to its f-stop limitations. If on the other hand you do mostly outdoor daylight photography it should work fairly well for you.

Jeff
I do a variety of shooting. I do outdoor sports shots of the kids with the Canon 75-300 lens. I also take pictures of the kids indoors with the Canon 28-80 lens. I use both on vacation depending on the zoom required. I currently have an attached flash, but I will probably get the Canon 430EX.

I particulary interested in an overall lens while traveling when i don't want to lug everything. My prime concern is our upcoming trip to WDW, but I will use it in normal situations also.

Of the two lenses you own the 28-80 will end up getting the most use at WDW.
I did most of my shooting with a 50mm 1.8 lens(cheap) because it made night time and indoor shots so much better.

More often than not I needed wider not longer. I also took a long zoom that only came out when we went to The Tampa Bay Bucs training camp.

garris3404 said:
I'm planning on purchasing a Canon Rebel XT. I currently have the 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 with Canon lenes (28-80 and 75-300). Last time at WDW I carried both lenes (switching when necessary). I would like to carry just 1 lens. Do you have any recomendations? Is the Sigma 28-300 DG any good?
The Sigma 18-200 has been getting very good reviews from most who own it.

garris3404 said:
The Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC has been getting very good reviews from most who own it. And at 18mm is probably a better walking around lens. Downside is it is about $100 more than the 28-300.

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC
I'm not a "Canon guy", but keep in mind that most AF modules start to have issues with focusing with lenses that are below f5.6. With this Sigma, at full zoom, you might have AF issues if you are shooting at less than good lighting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter