canon rebel - digital

beckygeez

Mouseketeer
I just got the digital canon rebel for xmas and after looking at people's pictures, I can't wait til March when we'll be in WDW and on DCL. However, I don't even know where to start. I'm just starting to learn the terms "shutter speed", "white balance", etc. Yes, I'm blonde :rotfl:

Any suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated. My dog has been a great model for me - my kids and husband are getting sick of me and my camera! I'm thinking of getting a tripod before we go because of the great pictures I've seen people taking. Thanks for any help.

Julie

Thanks so much everyone. Which do you think is more important to get first - a tripod or a flash attachment? I have two really good lenses so I'm set there for a while until I really know a lot more about it, but I'm wondering if I should get the tripod or flash before our trip?

Thanks again!!

For the trip, I'd suggest a tripod before a flash. At least you still can use the built-in flash in a pinch but how are you really going to replace a tripod? :D

OK, so what would I look for in a tripod. I don't want to regret a year down the road that I got one without knowing what to really look for. Any recommendations? :confused3

You can spend $600 on a tripod. It all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you are going to be using it alot it is money well spent. I personally use mine only a couple of times a year so it didn't make sense for me to invest big money in a tripod. I think I spent $50 on mine and got it at the local camera store.

btw, for the above set, you'll spend approximately $150. It's no $50, but I wouldn't put my 20D plus lens on a $50 tripod (nothing wrong with that tripod, it's just because of the weight of the 20D plus lens)

I also have a $50-ish tripod, but I only put my Canon A80 and A95 on it.

I agree with amid's book suggestion there from Amazon. I have a book from the same company for my older Nikon, am patiently waiting for the publisher to get one out on my new, It is listed on their site and almost ready. Here is the site to take a look........

http://www.shortcourses.com/

Enjoy!!

WHAAAAT? That's crazy expensive! I bought the tripod (minus the head) about 15 years ago (same spec, different model number) for $69 and the head last year for $69.

The link you gave me is not even with the correct ball head (that one comes with a smaller one although very similar looking)

Regardless, if that's out of your budget (I know it's out of MY budget if I had to pay that much), you can get any tripod which spec will allow you to put a camera/lens/flash combo up to 8 kg (about 18 lbs). This way, you will virtually don't need to buy anymore tripod for the rest of your photography life (well, unless you broke or lost it) :D

beckygeez said:
However, I don't even know where to start. I'm just starting to learn the terms "shutter speed", "white balance", etc. Yes, I'm blonde :rotfl:

I just picked up a book called "Understanding Exposure : Revised Edition" by Bryan Peterson. I explains shutter speed, Aperture, light etc. I read it once already and am reading it again.

Kelly Grannell said:
ndelaware, maybe SLIK have something cheaper?
In a simailar weight rating Slik and Bogen/Manfrotto start at $85 for Tripod legs rated at 15lbs but the next step up (16 lbs) is at least $230 for the Slik and $290 for the Bogen/Manfrotto. These are without heads.

You guys are very helpful with your info. I really appreciate it. I'm wondering though - why do I need to have a tripod that can hold 18lbs? Why wouldn't the 15lb one be fine? The camera and lens don't seem to weigh anywhere near that and I know in the future I'll want a bigger lens, but will it really end up weighing that much? What I probably want to use the tripod most for is taking night shots, which I don't think I would use a flash for anyway (fireworks, etc.), and also sports shots (son- hockey, daughter-volleyball, etc.). From what I've read so far I will be using slow shutter speeds for these kind of pictures and the motion from me holding the camera would be too much so I'd need the tripod. Like I said before, I'm just learning so if any of this sounds idiotic or doesn't make sense, I apologize :) I don't want to "settle" for a cheaper tripod if it really makes sense in the long run to get the manfrotto, I just won't buy it before the trip and I'll make do til I have the money. I hate to spend as much as we did on the camera kit and then not get the right stuff for it.

Becky, how much you spend on a tripod is up to you. But if a tripod is rated at 15lbs it can more easily accomodate 13lbs than one rated at 13 lbs and will be more steady. Once you start buying more lenses you will see just how heavy the camera and lens can be. So if you are going to be putting you camera and a large lens on the tripod it makes sense to get the best you can afford. Especially if you are going to use it on uneven surfaces like grass or dirt. I only use mine to take family portraits and night shots once or twice a year (Christmas lights, fireworks) and while I may have my big external flash on the camera I never use a heavy telephoto lens on the tripod in these situations. So I don't feel the need to have an expensive tripod, as a matter of fact I don't even know the weight rating on mine. Not to say mine is anywhere close to the ones we were talking about. There is a definate difference in the look and feel of what I have and the more expensive ones. And the "ball" type heads are easier to use than the "pan" heads on the cheaper models.

BTW, for sports you are more likely to get motion blur (people moving) from using a slower shutter speed than blurring from camera shake (you moving). Using a tripod won't help with you with motion blur. You need faster shutter speeds to freeze the action.

donaldduck1967 said:
I just picked up a book called "Understanding Exposure : Revised Edition" by Bryan Peterson. I explains shutter speed, Aperture, light etc. I read it once already and am reading it again.

I second this recommendation - great book for beginners and for those of us who think we know what we're doing, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter