Canon powershot A-520 Help with night shots please

Mom Possible

Mouseketeer
I just got this a few months ago. Every time I take a shot in low light or night it is awful. Blurry. terrible. I am shooting on auto because I just dont know any better. Can someone help me ? What do I do to get good night shots and dare I ask... fireworks with this camera?

Oh and if anyone can throw in advice on telephoto that would be great too. Should I just go and buy the cannon with image stabilizer or is there hope for me?

A million thank yous!

Hi,

Sounds like what's happening is that the Auto exposure setting is deciding that to get a good picture you need 1/30 th of a second exposures or longer. In those cases, if you're holding the camera, you'll almost everytime introduce some "shake", causing blurry pictures.

I'm not familiar with the A-520, though I use a Canon S40, so they're likely pretty similiar. On my camera, if you push the button halfway down, the camera will focus, and decide on an exposure. On the display, you should see it show the f-stop is selected (say in the range of f2.8 to f8.0) and the exposure time (anything from 1/15,000 th of a second to 15.0 seconds). If the exposure is longer than 1/30th, it will show a "shake indicator" on the bottom center of the display (looks a bit like a shaky hand), as your warning that you need to be very steady. When you get the "shake indicator" and are taking a picture by hand, if you're like me, your odds of getting a sharp picture are probably no better than 1 in 5.

To get good night pictures, you'll need to stabilize the camera, tripods are best (even mini ones), or set it on something, lean it up against something (light post, corner of a wall, etc).

I've got some of my Disney pictures (many of them night), along with some more photo tips on my site at: Disney.Rocket9.net

Good luck,

Bernie

Wow Thanks. I actually understood that. So if I get that type of exposure I should go manual and change it? To what?

Hi,

Glad that helped... Now to get a good picture, if you have a dim scene, to get a good picture, you'll need to get enough light into the camera to capture it, and keep the camera steady while you do.

To get more light into the camera, the two settings I mentioned before, f-stop and exposure time, control that.

F-stop is the measure of how open the aperature (the adjustable 'hole' that the light passes through on it's way to your camera's ccd) is. Lower numbers mean that the opening is larger, on my camera f2.0 if the largest opening, larger numbers (such as f8.0) means that the iris is closed more. The f-stop setting impacts other aspects of picture taking as well; such as the depth of field, the range of distances from the camera in which items are in focus. Though for most digitial camera's, the depth of field is so large, that this isn't much of a concern.

And for exposure time, this is probably more obvious... the longer the shutter is open, the more light will get to the sensor.

These two settings work hand in hand, for a scene to shoot, you'll generally find that if you have a working combination of the two... say f2.8 and 0.4 seconds, that you can get a good shot with another combination... say f8.0 and 1.0 seconds. Closing the aperature (high f-stop) needs more light, hence longer exposure (1.0 seconds).

So back to your specific case... for shooting low light, a low f-stop (f2.0 or f2.8) will have a wide open aperature, and less exposure time needed, and less chance of introducing shake if you're holding the camera. If your camera has an Aperature Priority Mode as one of the manual settings (my Canon S40 labels it as "Av" on the dial, I believe that's somewhat standard), selecting that will allow you to select the aperature setting, and the camera will decide the exposure time, That may help you in low light settings if the camera is deciding that it want's a higher f-stop, hence requiring longer exposure times.

Now keep in mind, that you will get difference pictures with different combinations of settings, even if both are relatively equally exposed. I don't know what you're trying to shoot in low-light, but I find that for the pictures I like to take, I generally prefer closing the aperature down (to f8.0) and taking the longer duration shots. As an example of this, when shooting fireworks, I've found that if I go with a wide open aperature (and shorter exposure time) I tend to get more pictures of smoke, while if I close the aperature and take the longer duration exposure, get better shots of the fireworks. A closed aperature also tends to introduce the starlight effects around lights, and increases the depth of field so that items both near and far are more sharply in focus.

Hope this helps... best advice is to experiment and take lots of shots... if you're not sure, shoot several with various settings and see if you get something you like.

Good luck,

Bernie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter