Cannot rope drop anymore; need new strategy

asumom

Mouseketeer
We have always been able, and love to, rope drop, but, due to medical issues, I won't be able to do that anymore. I have started PD dialysis and overnight treatments and cannot rush out of the hotel like before. I do not have mobility issues. Now I need help from those who don't rope drop on how to still get the most out of my day. I will be going in March and don't know the hours yet. If the park doesn't open until 10am, I would make it; 9am would be pushing it; earlier is out of the question. I don't want my disease to hold me back from Disneyland but I know touring will be different. Any and all tips appreciated! PS....i plan on getting 4 day park hoppers

Yeah we don’t rope drop because my dad’s stubborn and my sister’s three. We arrived at 11:30, 30minutes after out GE reservation and immediately went there. The park was open until 12am but we stayed until around 11:30pm. I went off without my dad and sister and got all the headliners other than PoC and, if it counts, JC. I didn’t get HM either but didn’t want to anyways. Had I not been slightly held back by having to meet up with the other members of my party I probably could have gotten them done. You’ll have no problem, just get MaxPass and familiarize yourself with a general “FP priority groups.” But looking at times while booking is more important than following those priorities to the core! Do what seems smartest. Take advantage of SR if you can.

We did not rope drop either this last trip and it was fine. We used maxpass and made efficient use of mobile ordering. I could have downloaded the Starbucks app to order breakfast to pick up at the Starbucks in downtown Disney while we were walking, but I never did- I will next time.

Have fun!!

Max Pass for sure, and if you're able, stay until closing. A lot of families with younger kids leave after fireworks/parade/Fantasmic. Speaking of which, if you don't mind, skip those (or catch them and the parade once) and go on rides available during that time as wait times will likely be lower.

Max pass will be your new best friend. The Saturday after 4th of July, Iwe went to the park and didn't arrive until 10am. It was pretty crowded and we still managed a ton of rides (including major headliners), Cantina reservations, and Savi lightsabers all before fireworks at 9:30. So it can be done.

Since you'll have 4 days, that will make your trip easier. We don't RD often now -- just isn't in the stars for us most days. But as others have said, MP is such a help! Also knowing that we won't get e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. done, but that that doesn't mean we have to miss out on the magic, helps us stay relaxed and keep our focus. Have a general plan of the things you want to do (Must dos, Like to dos, Can take or leaves), then be ready to be flexible, and roll with your day. Different can still be really good! Let the magic find you and take it when it does. Know where First Aid is in both parks and don't hesitate to go there at any time when you need to -- the CMs there are always super friendly and ready to help -- if you need a quiet place to rest, some a/c, or some other kind of help, just ask. Don't try to be a good soldier -- put your health first because if you don't feel well, even MP or the best touring plan won't be able to help you. Here's hoping for a really good trip for you and your family!

We arrive at lunchtime every day and have zero issues doing everything we want to do. MaxPass is huge. The best part being cancelled fast passes. If you want something that’s unavailable or showing a time that’s too late in the day just refresh a few times and cross your fingers. You’d be surprised how often walk-on fast passes pop up. Try to stay until park close if you can. We get so many rides done that way, the last hour is the best. If you miss out on a Radiator Springs fastpass the line is always shortest if you hop in at park close. Even if the time shows 120 minutes or something crazy it always moves quickly because they don’t let in any more fast passes (usually we wait 20 minutes or less). Those are my best tips for late arrivals. We very rarely wait in lines and always have an amazing time. Good luck!

I don't do rope drop because I hate it. Not worth it to me to get up that early and battle crowds. We chill and have breakfast and head out around 10am. Very civilized!!!

I'd prefer to stay later than get there at the crack of dawn. It's vacation, it shouldn't hurt!

Disneyland has Max Pass, it works and is awesome. You'll be there for 4 days and that's plenty of time to take a leisurely pace.

My husband and my best friend, both people I've travelled with separately, had/have medical issues that prevented them from rope dropping in the past. We opt for late breakfasts and try to get into the parks when the lines aren't crazy and definitely went their pace and comfort. We know where all the places are to just take a break and hang out as well.

It sounds like MaxPass will definitely work out for you, especially if you're looking forward to rides. With 4 days, you can definitely cover a lot there. Just be kind to yourself and know that you can do everything you want to do, just maybe at a slower pace. But you're at one of the best places that is highly accommodating to do that.

Max Pass for sure, and if you're able, stay until closing. A lot of families with younger kids leave after fireworks/parade/Fantasmic. Speaking of which, if you don't mind, skip those (or catch them and the parade once) and go on rides available during that time as wait times will likely be lower.
It all depends when the park opens and closes. My treatment is 9 hours, not including set up/take down so we will just have to play it by ear. Our last night is a Friday, so I might be able to stay late that night, especially if there are fireworks, and then sleep in late on our check out day. It's just a new way of touring, a new way of life. I am fortunate that my dialysis treatments allow me to travel. Big picture.

Great suggestions and tips! Thank you! I am so fortunate that my dialysis treatments allow me to travel so I have to remember to look at the big picture! Just going to be different; maybe we will like it better! We have never used max pass (wasn't a thing last time we went), but have used the app at WDW, so I think I'll be able to figure it out (refreshing to get passes later in the day, etc). So excited!

If you have a DAS pass it will still be super easy. Just use FP when its available. If you don't know the crowd patterns...

For Disneyland
8am-850am: Is prime time to visit the Fantasyland attractions (except for Peter Pan unless you rope drop)
9am-930am: Toontown. This area opens at 9am, you can easily do it all in 30 minutes
If you do not want to do Toontown go to...
9am-930am: Finding Nemo Submarines
I would get a FP for Matterhorn first since you will be closest to Toontown or the Nemo Submarines.
Whichever you don't do you can do it later in the day.
930am-10am: Jungle Cruise
10am-1030am: Pirates of the Caribbean
After 1030am: start going back to the FP attractions you have yet to do
Star Wars Land can be done between 1-3 or at night.
FP order = Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, and It's a Small World

For Disney California Adventure
8am-830am: Is prime time to visit the non - FP Attractions in Cars Land, start with Maters', then Luigi's.
Make Toy Story Midway Mania your first FP attraction
830am-10am: Head to Pixar Pier and ride Pixar Pal Around, then Emotional Whirlwind, Jellyfish, Goofy, Zephyr, and Symphony Swings
Whichever you miss don't do you can do it later in the day.
10am-on: Start to use your FPs and ride the Little Mermaid
FP order = TSMM, Incredicoaster, Racers, Guardians, Soarin, Grizzly

ME

Last edited:
It all depends when the park opens and closes. My treatment is 9 hours, not including set up/take down so we will just have to play it by ear. Our last night is a Friday, so I might be able to stay late that night, especially if there are fireworks, and then sleep in late on our check out day. It's just a new way of touring, a new way of life. I am fortunate that my dialysis treatments allow me to travel. Big picture.
I love, love, love your attitude. We are blessed to have the treatments that we do, and still live our lives. I hope you have a fabulous trip! :yo-yo:

Life is too short for me to get up that early on what is supposed to be a vacation. I feel like Disneyland is still a place where you don't have to plan everything as rigidly as WDW - thank goodness. I can't wait to go to Disneyland again (been a few years now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter