Candy Cane Inn or Castle Inn and Suites

Jimsig

DIS Veteran
Looking for some suggestions. I have booked the CCI but I can save about $340 on a nine night stay at Castle Inn for the same room type- 2 queen beds for myself, DW and 8yo DD. Looks like the biggest difference is that CCI has the free breakfast and they both have free parking. We will have a car so it's not like we can't pick stuff up and have it in our room. Are the CCI and Castle Inn comparable? One better then the other?

I have never stayed at Castle Inn but have to say the free shuttle from CCI (especially after a long day in the parks) is a wonderful thing. The breakfast was great for us as well, not having to stop someplace and get food for the kids is a time saver. Good luck on your decision.

We stayed at the Castle this past June and were very pleased. It was the cleanest motel I have ever stayed in. Our bathrooms were spotless every day and coffee, soap, etc. replenished. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our grandchildren, ages 12, 10 and 7, loved the pool area. We would definitely stay there again.

I will stay at the Castle Inn again because it works for us, not because it's the best. The Castle is clean but has bad issues with water temperature (it gets HOT fast and suddenly so that it hurts!). The pool is not as good as CCI.

I tend to be cheap with my hotel and put the money into park experiences. Depending on how much the money means to you, there is real value in choosing CCI. If the little extras aren't important, save the money. HTH :)

Love CCI.... the breakfast, the free dedicated shuttle even though it is a short walk, the grounds are really nice, pool and hot tub nice (not big, but nice) and customer service is great! CCI is worth it!

If you stay at the Castle Inn,,try and avoid the rooms at the front. Traffic noise.

I do remember having issues with the water temperature at the Castle. The hotel said they were working on it. I would also suggest asking for one of the corner rooms. The one my daughter stayed in had a separate are with a sink which is nice when more than one person is trying to get ready for the day.

We stayed at Castle Inn last year and loved it. It's a very short walk, the hotel was clean, and we loved that it felt a little removed with the design of the rooms not being right on the main road. I spent a couple of days at the parks solo and felt totally comfortable walking to and from the parks and the Castle by myself.

Looking for some suggestions. I have booked the CCI but I can save about $340 on a nine night stay at Castle Inn for the same room type- 2 queen beds for myself, DW and 8yo DD. Looks like the biggest difference is that CCI has the free breakfast and they both have free parking. We will have a car so it's not like we can't pick stuff up and have it in our room. Are the CCI and Castle Inn comparable? One better then the other?
Having stayed at both, Candy Cane inn is hands down the better stay. At least for me. We do the premium rooms. That said, if the $340 is worth enough to you, you should move to Castle. To me, it wouldn't be worth it, but everyone has different needs and expectations.

I would stay at the CCI, that bus service is a life saver when the parks close. I also always look for some place that has a free breakfast. At least it's something to eat before hitting the park. I have stayed at the Castle and it is nice, but walking back after being in the park all day was HARD...

Like a PP said, it depends on how important saving that money is to you, but I think CCI would be a nicer experience. The breakfast savings would be something to consider (9 nights x3 people) as well as the option of having a dedicated shuttle at the end of the day (or in the morning if you want to save your feet).

I would go with Candy Cane. I have stayed there before and it's very clean. I also think having breakfast at the hotel is a huge savings in time and cost. If the hotel does not offer breakfast, you have either have to buy breakfast foods to keep in the room or find some place to eat in or out of the parks. It's not a huge deal, but it's so much nicer and easier to have breakfast all laid our for you. All you have to do is grab what you want. If you're comparing costs, be sure to factor in breakfast for everyone in your party for each day you're there. You might find the cost to stay at Candy Cane is less of a difference compared to Castle Inn.

I'll weigh in too, though I think everyone has covered the big points. :) We've stayed a both numerous times. The only reason I would pick Castle Inn over Candy Cane Inn would be price. Looks like you are talking $38/night, approximately, in savings. If money isn't a problem, I think you'd have a much better experience at the Candy Cane. I'd stay at Castle Inn again to save money if I wasn't going to be in the parks from open to close. My wife doesn't want to stay at Castle again. She loves Candy Cane--it's our new go-to. Here are some comparisons:

Parking: Both have free parking, I think. I'm positive Candy Cane does: one car per room. We've never had a hard time finding parking at Candy Cane. Can be a bit trickier at Castle Inn.

Breakfast: Candy Cane has it, Castle doesn't. The breakfast is good: cereal, oatmeal, juice, boiled eggs, fruit, yogurt, pastries, bagels. There is something to be said for not having to buy breakfast or make it in your room. Is it worth $38/day? Up to each individual...

Walk: Pretty comparable, though Candy Cane is slightly shorter. With Castle you have to cross over Harbor, but it's not a huge deal

Shuttle: This is a big plus for my wife. Her health sometimes gives out at the end of the day and the shuttle has been a lifesaver. Overall I don't think it saves much time, if any, especially going from Candy Cane to Disneyland since you have a U-turn and a left turn. From Disneyland to Candy Cane it's two right turns and really quick. Even if it doesn't save time, it does save steps if needed.

Rooms/Beds: One of the reasons my wife doesn't like Castle Inn as much are that the rooms feel dark to her. In our opinion the beds are WAY nicer at Candy Cane. They are just so comfortable.

Grounds: Castle Inn is basically just a parking lot and decorated walkways. Candy Cane is super pretty with all the flowers, trees, cobblestone parking lot, wrought-iron work, etc. This is a huge selling point for us, especially my wife. It feels more to me like a "resort" even though it's not of course; Castle Inn is a basic decorated motel.

Pool: Hands down way nicer and prettier than Castle Inn. Our kids loved the pool. The kiddie pool was great for our granddaughter. We take mid-day breaks and the pool was awesome. The hot tub was hot and wonderful at night.

Staff: Both seemed equally nice.

Overall: If you need to save the money even after considering the free breakfast at Candy Cane, go with Castle and you will be just fine. Especially if you don't spend much time at the hotel during the day or evening. If you want a more enjoyable place to stay and you are okay with the extra money, Candy Cane is great. I don't know that we'll ever stay somewhere other than Candy Cane now we've been there 4 times, unless for some reason their prices are way higher than elsewhere. The breakfast, the pool, the easy walk with shuttle backup if needed, the grounds, etc seal the deal for us.

Good luck! Either way you are close to the parks, safe, and will have a wonderful time!

Other than ethics, what is to keep someone from Castle taking the shuttle to Candy and just walking across the street?

Other than ethics, what is to keep someone from Castle taking the shuttle to Candy and just walking across the street?
Room keys... (And traffic. You should walk up to the light at Katella, cross and then back to Castle. Traffic is pretty dangerous to try jaywalking at that location.)

Have you checked out the cost of the of homewood suites? Way nicer than both of those.

I did, thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out an unfortunately the closest Homewood was about a mile to DL, double the distance that the CCI is, no shuttle, and they charge for parking so it was about $300 more in total. The other Homewood is almost 2 miles away with no free shuttle and a parking charge and still $160 more.

I did, thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out an unfortunately the closest Homewood was about a mile to DL, double the distance that the CCI is, no shuttle, and they charge for parking so it was about $300 more in total. The other Homewood is almost 2 miles away with no free shuttle and a parking charge and still $160 more.
We didn’t have a car. IF you travel without one in the future this is right by the free toy story shuttle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter