Candlelight Processional

Disney dining likes even numbers for parties - four rather than three, six rather than five, etc. If you got a table for six for a party of five, you don't need to change anything with Disney Dining. When you show up at the restaurant, just tell them that there will only be five. It won't be an issue.
This isn't always true - there have been examples on some of the special event packages where people have been charged for the "no show" - full special event package price. This happened to us for the Rose & Crown Fireworks package. You may get lucky and they forgive the "no show" or you may get charged the full amount. Based on my personal experience, I highly recommend you call and change the number from six to five in advance of showing up at the restaurant.

lorileahb, my apologies, you are probably correct. Somehow I didn't connect that this was about a CP dining package ADR. It isn't an issue with regular ADRs, but special dining package ADRs may very well be treated differently about how many show up. A call to Disney Dining would probably be in order to make sure.

Be CAREFUL when you call. I called today to switch my Candlelight Processional from 4 people to 2 and they cancelled my entire package and gave me a regular dining reservation for the same time!!! I'm so mad & sad. I didn't catch the mistake until this evening. Now I'm on hold *again* >:(
Perhaps they are no longer allowing guests to downsize a reservation number?

Perhaps they are no longer allowing guests to downsize a reservation number?
Why would they not? Especially since this is for a pricy CP package, and they've been making people pay for the number of people on the reservation for Harmonious packages no matter how many are actually there. It's not unusual for the ADR system to say there's no availability for a table for 1, 2, or 3, but plenty of availability for 4, so people are having to book for 4 online and then call to reduce to their actual party size. Obviously onewishupon was caught by a CMs error when trying to do just that.

Be CAREFUL when you call. I called today to switch my Candlelight Processional from 4 people to 2 and they cancelled my entire package and gave me a regular dining reservation for the same time!!! I'm so mad & sad. I didn't catch the mistake until this evening. Now I'm on hold *again* >:(
Ugh, I hope you can get it sorted. I couldn't make reservations for 3 so I added an imaginary infant to our table to make it 4. I hope that works. I don't think I want to risk calling even though I planned on doing that tomorrow.

Why would they not? Especially since this is for a pricy CP package, and they've been making people pay for the number of people on the reservation for Harmonious packages no matter how many are actually there. It's not unusual for the ADR system to say there's no availability for a table for 1, 2, or 3, but plenty of availability for 4, so people are having to book for 4 online and then call to reduce to their actual party size. Obviously onewishupon was caught by a CMs error when trying to do just that.
Why would they allow reservations for 4 but not 2? Hard to know why anything happens in ADRs.

Why would they allow reservations for 4 but not 2? Hard to know why anything happens in ADRs.
It's a well-known glitch in Disney's ADR online booking program. In addition to not "liking" smaller parties of 1-3 guests, the system also dislikes odd numbers, so people trying to book for a party of 5 will find No Availability, but when they increase their search to a party of 6, boom! Lots of tables! For "ordinary" ADRs, there's no penalty for showing up with fewer than booked, but for the packages like fireworks viewing and presumably CP, they're charging for the full number of guests booked, not the number who actually attend.

A restaurant would rather seat 4 guests at a table big enough for 4 rather then 2.
That is why I suggested that perhaps they weren’t allowing guests to downsize the reservation they made for more people than they really had.

A restaurant would rather seat 4 guests at a table big enough for 4 rather then 2.
I think we all understand the difference between a 4 top table and a two top table, but I was unable to book a table for 3. I had to book a table for 4. Unless they have some triangular table situation at GG the table is the same. I guess they could have been holding out for one more paying customer, but that kind of stinks if that is the case.

I think we all understand the difference between a 4 top table and a two top table, but I was unable to book a table for 3. I had to book a table for 4. Unless they have some triangular table situation at GG the table is the same. I guess they could have been holding out for one more paying customer, but that kind of stinks if that is the case.
In terms of managing a restaurant, there are so many reservations for a one person at a 2-top and for two people at 2-top... so many reservations for three people at a 4-top and for four people at a 4-top... so that all parties (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) have at least a chance to book when reservations open... it is a database search. No doubt there are more of some group sizes available, but they have to give the database rules to start with when people search / query it. It's definitely not personal... just a database query. Glad Disney CMs are willing to help adjust once folks snag a reservation.

In terms of managing a restaurant, there are so many reservations for a one person at a 2-top and for two people at 2-top... so many reservations for three people at a 4-top and for four people at a 4-top... so that all parties (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) have at least a chance to book when reservations open... it is a database search. No doubt there are more of some group sizes available, but they have to give the database rules to start with when people search / query it. It's definitely not personal... just a database query. Glad Disney CMs are willing to help adjust once folks snag a reservation.
And this is what grates my craw… Disney could easily correct the search interface. Might mean investing a bit of time and money in tech infrastructure. But they could do it. Clearly not a priority.

Instead if I want Garden Grill as a solo, I book for 4 then modify to 1. That I can do easily. So if you know how to play the game, most times it’s something you can work with. But, dang, if they don’t just fix the darn search interface!!

Sorry… rant over LOL

And this is what grates my craw… Disney could easily correct the search interface. Might mean investing a bit of time and money in tech infrastructure. But they could do it. Clearly not a priority.

Instead if I want Garden Grill as a solo, I book for 4 then modify to 1. That I can do easily. So if you know how to play the game, most times it’s something you can work with. But, dang, if they don’t just fix the darn search interface!!

Sorry… rant over LOL
LOL - I hear you! :badpc:

I'd say I'd be willing to pay more for them to fix it, but I'll take the work around as long as it exists.

This isn't always true - there have been examples on some of the special event packages where people have been charged for the "no show" - full special event package price. This happened to us for the Rose & Crown Fireworks package. You may get lucky and they forgive the "no show" or you may get charged the full amount. Based on my personal experience, I highly recommend you call and change the number from six to five in advance of showing up at the restaurant.
I did call and ask about this after seeing your previous post. When I said that happened they were surprised and said no policy for doing that. They placed me on hold and asked someone else and said for the packages any no shows on the reservation should be charged the 10 cancel fee not the whole meal..would I risk it ? Nope why have the hassle. Id call and fix the reservation.

I did call and ask about this after seeing your previous post. When I said that happened they were surprised and said no policy for doing that. They placed me on hold and asked someone else and said for the packages any no shows on the reservation should be charged the 10 cancel fee not the whole meal..would I risk it ? Nope why have the hassle. Id call and fix the reservation.
Maybe that was the regular, ADR policy and not the Special Event Dinner Package policy. Who knows... all I know is when I got to Rose & Crown Fireworks Dining with 2 instead of 3 people, they told me sorry but they would have to charge me for the 3rd person regardless, and they did. They offered to give me the third meal as a to go meal for the room, but we were leaving the next day. Policy or no, I'd also call ahead and fix the reservation.

Maybe that was the regular, ADR policy and not the Special Event Dinner Package policy. Who knows... all I know is when I got to Rose & Crown Fireworks Dining with 2 instead of 3 people, they told me sorry but they would have to charge me for the 3rd person regardless, and they did. They offered to give me the third meal as a to go meal for the room, but we were leaving the next day. Policy or no, I'd also call ahead and fix the reservation.
It was specifically regarding special event dinner packages...and agreed thats one person on the phone. why have the hassle on you trip..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter