• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Candelight Processional, is it worth it?

TBR82

Earning My Ears
We will be in Disney in December and have already booked MVMCP. Is the candlelight processional worth the additional cost??

It all depends on what you (and your travel companions) enjoy. I love the singing, and the story/narration. If there is someone there reading that you like it definitely can be worth it. I will say that you still have to line up early to get a really good seat even if you book the package. If you just want to see if it is something you'd like, you can always be at EPCOT one night they are having it and just walk past, or stand at the back behind the roped areas to get a sample.

We go every year on a dining package and obviously think it is worth going. But we are Christians and it is a part of our Christmas Eve tradition. We love the traditional music and the telling of the Christmas story.
This too is also our Christmas Eve tradition. The music is very good and overall it is one of the better productions on property. I will say that a great narrator can make it even more special (like Gary Sinise, Edward James Olmos, Jodi Benson to name a few have been our favorite narrators).

We will be in Disney in December and have already booked MVMCP. Is the candlelight processional worth the additional cost??
Not sure if you know but you can do the CP without the dinning package, you just got to get in the standby line at least 2 hours before the show. I know that it is a long time but there is a free option. Also some people just stand in the back and you can grab those spots about an hour to 45 minutes before showtime depending on narrator

? There is no additional cost for the Candlelight Processional. It's free

? There is no additional cost for the Candlelight Processional. It's free
Right. But only 10% or less of the theater is "free" on a busy night. OP just said "December" and didn't specify exactly when. That makes a huge difference. If they are going Christmas week or planning on Epcot on a Saturday night the "free" seats may take a time commitment of a couple of hours of waiting in line.

I know people will overwhelmingly says they love it. If you like this kind of thing at all, you will love it. My family isn't really into sitting to watch choirs sing and the story narration. We did the dining package and I'm glad we did because that was enough of a wait. I wouldn't want to wait in the stand-by line. We won't do it again though. You certainly do not have to sit in the stadium either to hear it. There is always room out in front of the American Adventure to camp and listen. You can't see much, but IMO (for ME), that wasn't a big deal.
As others said, you know you and your family best. Some love it, we didn't. We certainly didn't HATE it, but we won't do it again.

IMHO, not really. CP was going on when we were at Epcot in Nov-Dec 2016. We saw folks lining up two hours in advance for it! Epcot was suprisingly crowded, and my wife overheard several folks say they only reason they came to Epcot was to see the CP.

We did listen to some of the music while we were in the USA pavilion. You can hear it, and even see some of the stage at a distance from there without waiting in line.

I know people will overwhelmingly says they love it. If you like this kind of thing at all, you will love it. My family isn't really into sitting to watch choirs sing and the story narration. We did the dining package and I'm glad we did because that was enough of a wait. I wouldn't want to wait in the stand-by line. We won't do it again though. You certainly do not have to sit in the stadium either to hear it. There is always room out in front of the American Adventure to camp and listen. You can't see much, but IMO (for ME), that wasn't a big deal.
As others said, you know you and your family best. Some love it, we didn't. We certainly didn't HATE it, but we won't do it again.
This is us too.
We aren't fans of the show in general.
I do appreciate the effort and talent that goes in to it. On the part of the performers
We did the Holiday tour a couple years ago and one of our guides was one of the regular (non-entertainment) CM performers that does the show each year. She'd been doing it for years and told us about how they used to be able to sign up and all get a spot but now it was so popular they actually had to audition and you have to commit to lot of practice times and such. And she told us about how the high school choirs are chosen and how little time they all practice together and yet it all comes together seamlessly. It gave me a new appreciation for the performances but still didn't make it a show we make an effort to see. It's just not our thing

We did the dining package for it with Coral Reef. I was glad we did it once, but I don't know if I would do it again.

I wouldn't pay for the dining package to see it. If you've ever seen a Christmas Cantata performed by a church choir - that's EXACTLY what it is. As a matter of fact, out choir did the exact same performance 2 years ago. We did stand in the back and watch for a few minutes (Trace Adkins was the narrator that year) and listened to the Hallelujah Chorus. Then my crowd was ready to move on.

There really isn't anything you need to SEE unless the narrator is a celeb that you like. It's more of a church/concert performance so you could always listen from outside and not do a dining package.

I like being inside the theater, up close, surrounded by the music so I do book the dining package.

I've been wondering this as well. We are going November 25-Dec 1 and I can't decide if I want to do a dinner with preferred seating. Will a 5 year old get bored?

Will a 5 year old get bored?

I think it depends largely on the child. I know some 5 year olds that would struggle to sit still, but my 2 year old DD sat entranced by the music and story, and I expect she will again now that she's 4. But we do go to church, and so she is used to sitting still and listening to that kind of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter