Cancelling trip or pushing back (resort plus ticket question)

Serrina89

Mouseketeer
Hi DISers,

My MIL took a turn for the worst and will be put in hospice care. We are a week and a half out from our trip and obviously now cant go. I'm trying to decide what would be better to push back or cancel. I don't have a date for a pushback however. We were also using this trip as a last hoorah before starting advanced Fertility attempts...so now I'm worried that may affect a potential pushback too. Any advice?

Everything you mentioned is more important than a trip you can take anytime. There will always be time for a trip to Disney, even after the fertility attempts. I would cancel and reschedule when ready. Disney will be there, ready to welcome you with open arms. Could be a few months. Could be a year. In the end, you’ll be back

Everything you mentioned is more important than a trip you can take anytime. There will always be time for a trip to Disney, even after the fertility attempts. I would cancel and reschedule when ready. Disney will be there, ready to welcome you with open arms. Could be a few months. Could be a year. In the end, you’ll be back
Do you know if we cancel if we will get our money back?

Do you know if we cancel if we will get our money back?

Don't know how you booked the trip. All depends on the terms. If through Disney direct. If a package. If room only. Most airlines, depending on ticket booked allow for free change, if you didn't get the cheapest ticket. All Depends

Someone else can chime in but based on what I am reading for 2023 packages:

• For cancellations made 2 days to 29 days prior to guest arrival, amounts paid, minus a cancellation fee of $200.00 per package and minus any cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable runDisney race registrations, non-refundable travel protection plan costs and other amounts owed, will be refunded.
But then it says for changes:

• Changes to Reservation – Changes to reservation, including but not limited to change in travel dates, length of stay, party size or hotel accommodations, are subject to availability and the prices applicable at the time the change is requested and guest is responsible for paying any increase in price resulting from the change. In addition, changes made 30 days or less prior to guest arrival are also subject to a change fee of $50 per package plus any change fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers.

Someone please confirm, but maybe changing to something later instead of canceling it might save you money.

Here's what I would do to hopefully avoid losing your $200 deposit:

1. Call Disney and tell them about the situation and ask if you can push the trip back by a few months (who knows, they might waive the $50 change fee)

2. Wait about a week or so and cancel the trip. Since it's now more than 30 days out you shouldn't be subject to the $200 cancellation fee.

3. Airline tickets, if applicable: Hold on to the tickets until day of (but make sure to cancel before the first flight departs or you'll lose the entire value of the ticket.) If your flight gets cancelled you're entitled to a refund even on a non-refundable ticket, so hope for a cancellation of your flight.

Here's what I would do to hopefully avoid losing your $200 deposit:

1. Call Disney and tell them about the situation and ask if you can push the trip back by a few months (who knows, they might waive the $50 change fee)

2. Wait about a week or so and cancel the trip. Since it's now more than 30 days out you shouldn't be subject to the $200 cancellation fee.

3. Airline tickets, if applicable: Hold on to the tickets until day of (but make sure to cancel before the first flight departs or you'll lose the entire value of the ticket.) If your flight gets cancelled you're entitled to a refund even on a non-refundable ticket, so hope for a cancellation of your flight.
I would call Disney, explain the situation and see if they’ll waive the cancellation fee. If they won’t then play the move it/cancel game.

I wouldn’t play any games with the airline tickets unless there is no value to canceling them. With life so uncertain right now something could happen during your cancellation window and you could forget to cancel the ticket.

I would call Disney, explain the situation and see if they’ll waive the cancellation fee. If they won’t then play the move it/cancel game.

I wouldn’t play any games with the airline tickets unless there is no value to canceling them. With life so uncertain right now something could happen during your cancellation window and you could forget to cancel the ticket.
I played the airline game at the start of Covid. Was supposed to go in April 2020, obviously that didn't happen and was able to cancel my room-only with no issue and had an AP so no park tickets to worry about. Back then airlines were cancelling flights left and right so I held on to the airline ticket (setting multiple calendar reminders to cancel it for the day-of) and surprise, surprise, my flight was cancelled. A quick interaction with their social media team and the ticket was refunded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter