Cancelling Christmas/NYE Trips?

TabulaRasa

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone,

We were set to drive from Toronto to Orlando on Friday with an arrival date on Sunday the 19th. With the recent advice from the Canadian government, I don’t know what to do. I’m concerned about advisories changing further while down south and having to quarantine upon return. Also, I got Manulife’s Covid-19 CoverMe insurance and I’m unsure if this will still apply under a Level 3 advisory. Has anyone clarified with them?

Just curious, who has cancelled since hearing the news from today? Who is still going?

There’s a lot of discussion about this in a few threads but it might be nice to have it all in one place.

We were set to fly from the 2nd to the 14th. I have 5 days to cancel and recover 50% of my DVC rental as a credit. I also about $400 in Cirque de Soliel tickets that I would lose.
Everything else is either refundable or I would get a credit.

We are taking the full five days to react logically and not emotionally. But I can’t imagine the situation will get magically better before we leave and in fact I suspect it will be much much worse. I was ok going down and masking up and following public health protocols to avoid Delta. But the fact is omicron is looking way way more transmissible and our odds of having to quarantine would be much higher. It’s not seeming worth it to us.

If I was leaving this Friday I would go as it’s not as bad at this point but 2.5 more weeks will be much worse when we are doubling almost every 48-72 hours. It’s not severe illness that worries me, it’s everything else. Our insurance doesn’t cover Covid now that the advisory is up either.

Hey everyone,

We were set to drive from Toronto to Orlando on Friday with an arrival date on Sunday the 19th. With the recent advice from the Canadian government, I don’t know what to do. I’m concerned about advisories changing further while down south and having to quarantine upon return. Also, I got Manulife’s Covid-19 CoverMe insurance and I’m unsure if this will still apply under a Level 3 advisory. Has anyone clarified with them?

Just curious, who has cancelled since hearing the news from today? Who is still going?

I just took a look at my Manulife Covid Policy. Section 10 Trip Interruptions Exclusions & Limitations:

"2. Any expenses due to an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada stating "avoid all travel" regarding the country, region, or city of your destination, before your departure date."

So unless they come out and say avoid all travel to the US, then the policy should still be good, correct?

We're also leaving Jan 2nd. At this time we are still planning to go. Insurance will cover unless there's a do not travel advisory. Now that Ontario is allowing boosters for all 18+, we'll also all be triple-vaxxed (already have appointments). We have until 48 hours before to cancel and get (almost all) our money back from Disney so we'll make a final decision after Christmas.

We're also leaving Jan 2nd. At this time we are still planning to go. Insurance will cover unless there's a do not travel advisory. Now that Ontario is allowing boosters for all 18+, we'll also all be triple-vaxxed (already have appointments). We have until 48 hours before to cancel and get (almost all) our money back from Disney so we'll make a final decision after Christmas.

Where are you located? I only see 3rd shot appointments available for those 50+ in Waterloo Region.

We have a trip planned to Aulani in Feb. Have no idea at this point if it will be a go. I feel like predicting anything at this point whether it be in the next week, month, or year, is so impossible. It’s really depressing! I am fine to follow Covid protocols, wear a mask, etc, but to shut down borders at all when omicron is already here and everywhere, doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like herding cats.

Ottawa - we booked with Shoppers - they only check eligibility when you show up for the appointment. So it doesn't matter if you were eligible when you made the appointment, only that you're eligible when you get the shot.

When is your appointment because if it’s before Monday you won’t be eligible.

We are in BC. My husband will be 70 in 3 weeks. He will be at his 6 month since his second vaccine On Dec 19. But he has to wait until he gets his ”official invite” before he can even book an appt. I got mine earlier as I am immunocompromised but I am worried for him. Every province in BC has different rules and it is frustrating. We aren’t planning on travelling and will only be getting together with 6 other members of our family but I still wish he could book it and get a few days to build up a few antibodies before the dinner.

Hey everyone,

We were to fly out January 1, we cancelled and rebooked for February 26. We really didn’t want to, but so many unknowns.
We had purchased travel cancellation/interruption insurance with CAA. I called twice today to confirm. We were told that medical insurance would remain unchanged, but that any covid related cancellations or quarantine etc would not be covered, because of the advisory. We bought the insurance as a last minute coverage, just in case someone tested positive right before departure and it was too late to cancel with a refund. We had 6 adults going and it was just too much money to gamble.

We have cancelled. Cannot find medical travel insurance for a Covid related travel emergency abroad with the do not travel advisory put out by the federal government today. We would have gone if it wasn’t for the medical travel insurance issue. We will look towards the family day weekend in February since this advisory is for the next 4 weeks. Our girls are getting a 4 day weekend then with a PA day on the Friday. Hopefully it will be lifted at the end of the 4 weeks 🤞🏻🤞🏻

We cancelled today. The fact that our travel insurance wouldn't cover us if we travelled after the advisory was issued was the nail in the coffin. We can't risk it. We booked through CAA and the travel agent was in tears over it. She was cancelling other people's trips that had no insurance and are now out 12,000+. I've never bought travel insurance before but thank god I did this time.
Of course that trip was the only thing keeping me going since we booked it last December.

I waited 2 hours on the phone to chat with an Manulife agent about the covid travel insurance. The policy will be void if the government issue a travel ban.

We still have no plan to cancel our trip that is leaving one week from today for a 10 days trip splitting our stay at Bay Lake and kidani.

So we decided to cancel the Universal portion of our trip 😫. We are going to go down and just enjoy our time on the Gulf coast in our apartment, and enjoy sunshine and warm temperatures. Universal is going to be just to busy we think, and with so many maskless people indoors in line, our daughters are feeling nervous. We might hit Busch Gardens and Christmas Town since the majority of attractions are outdoorS.

We have cancelled. Cannot find medical travel insurance for a Covid related travel emergency abroad with the do not travel advisory put out by the federal government today. We would have gone if it wasn’t for the medical travel insurance issue. We will look towards the family day weekend in February since this advisory is for the next 4 weeks. Our girls are getting a 4 day weekend then with a PA day on the Friday. Hopefully it will be lifted at the end of the 4 weeks 🤞🏻🤞🏻
I was nervous about Covid insurance and not being covered so I purchased a 16 day policy through an American company that caters to Canadians. The cost $192.00 for my wife and myself…age 66 and 67. We’ve been here five days and having a blast

I was nervous about Covid insurance and not being covered so I purchased a 16 day policy through an American company that caters to Canadians. The cost $192.00 for my wife and myself…age 66 and 67. We’ve been here five days and having a blast

Thank-you. We ended up getting the Manulife Covid 19 coverage. We have cancelled our Universal Studios reservation though, and will fly down to enjoy the beach, sun and sand. Maybe Busch Gardens since it is all outdoors and has Christmas Town happening. Happy to read though you are having a great time. Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the festivities in Florida!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter