Cancelled by ABD: It DOES happen :(

The more I read about this, the more leery I am getting about booking a future non-guaranteed trip. I think it's outrageous TXTransplant that you are only 30 days out and ABD will still not guarantee your trip. This thread has given me a lot to think about.

To be fair, I have not inquired about the status of our trip since the 75-day mark, other than to ask how many guests are registered and how many of them are kids. I honestly don't know what ABD would say today, 30 days out, if I asked whether or not the trip is guaranteed. Based on their response at the 75-day point though, I wouldn't expect them to confirm even now, but I have not posed the question. I'm sort of just burying my head in the sand about it all and hoping for the best. I certainly didn't do myself any favors by going to the ABD website to see how many trips with our itinerary are still available. Germany is one of the few that has any availability in June. Most of the Europe trips don't show availability until July.

Is it possible that some of the dates are gone from the site because they are full? We booked ABD southern CA and I noticed a few of the departures are no longer on the site.

Last I checked, our October trip had 13 booked. Still over 150 days away!

Is it possible that some of the dates are gone from the site because they are full? We booked ABD southern CA and I noticed a few of the departures are no longer on the site.

Last I checked, our October trip had 13 booked. Still over 150 days away!

Yes, this is my understanding. I know for sure that at least one of the Germany itineraries was removed because it is full. That was the point of my post...only three of original 13 Germany trips are gone from the website...that seems like a lot of availability still remaining to me.

Of course, if a trip is cancelled, it would also have to be removed from the website. So, again, there is no way to know just by looking at the website if a trip is cancelled or sold out.

Last edited:
The only way I know that you can find out if it is a gauranteed trip (after you have booked and you are waiting for your trip to 'make the grade') is to call them and ask. Some are still for sale on the site and are confirmed. Some are taken off because they are cancelled. Some are taken off because they are full. Some are full and say "wait list." It's all very confusing. My France July 25th trip still has only 14 people and is not confirmed. TXTransplant - if they are struggling then it seems like mistreating us, the evangelists that have been on more than one trip with them, isn't the best move. I am now 74 days out. I will post here when and if we get confirmed or cancelled. Best of luck to the rest of you.

We were originally going to take the Egypt trip when ABD first brought it out but shortly after we booked it there was that whole uprising in Egypt and we didn't feel safe traveling there with all that chaos and violence going on. Disney would not refund our deposit because we cancelled the trip even though there was basically civil war going on.

We did the BSM this past February. I never knew that there were guaranteed departures. Our trip still went off and we were a group of 24. I don't know if being an adult exclusive trip made the difference or not. We are considering Austria, Germany and Czech Republic or France for next year. We are Canadian and in the province of Ontario we have the Travel Industry Council of Ontario which gives us added protection from costs like having to cancel flights because our tour didn't go off, but we have to book with a TICO certified agent, which means we have to book through a local agent. Luckily I have one near my work that is a Disney Agent.

We were originally going to take the Egypt trip when ABD first brought it out but shortly after we booked it there was that whole uprising in Egypt and we didn't feel safe traveling there with all that chaos and violence going on. Disney would not refund our deposit because we cancelled the trip even though there was basically civil war going on.

We did the BSM this past February. I never knew that there were guaranteed departures. Our trip still went off and we were a group of 24. I don't know if being an adult exclusive trip made the difference or not. We are considering Austria, Germany and Czech Republic or France for next year. We are Canadian and in the province of Ontario we have the Travel Industry Council of Ontario which gives us added protection from costs like having to cancel flights because our tour didn't go off, but we have to book with a TICO certified agent, which means we have to book through a local agent. Luckily I have one near my work that is a Disney Agent.
Only one of the Egypt trips ever actually went. It's too bad, because it looked like a really cool itinerary. I wonder if things will ever calm down enough for them to offer it again. There was a father & son on my Greece trip in 2013 that had tried twice to go on the Egypt trip at that point, and had both canceled. (The father said his son was happy about that, because he'd gotten 2 other trips - including Greece - out of his father's attempts).

In my experience, Adult Only trips can and do go with fairly low counts. I've had as low as 14 on my trips, and I know there was someone whose trip went with 12. But those trips have all been during the shoulder season (May or September). I'm not sure if they can be as flexible about hotel space during the high tourist season).

Sayhello

I too am concerned about my trip in August to Scotland. I feel that Disney needs to address this issue. They need to be more transparent. There repeat guests are worried and starting to look at other operators for future vacations. These are luxury vacations and Disney should be bending over backwards to keep them coming back. This policy is not helping. Also, any person looking to book their first ABD, will probably do a Google search and this board and this thread will pop up! I bet this policy will discourage some bookings. Baring any safety concerns, I think Disney should honor these trips already scheduled in 2015. Then starting in 2016 offer fewer trips if capacity is the issue. This is just my opinion for what it is worth.

Only one of the Egypt trips ever actually went. It's too bad, because it looked like a really cool itinerary. I wonder if things will ever calm down enough for them to offer it again. There was a father & son on my Greece trip in 2013 that had tried twice to go on the Egypt trip at that point, and had both canceled. (The father said his son was happy about that, because he'd gotten 2 other trips - including Greece - out of his father's attempts).

In my experience, Adult Only trips can and do go with fairly low counts. I've had as low as 14 on my trips, and I know there was someone whose trip went with 12. But those trips have all been during the shoulder season (May or September). I'm not sure if they can be as flexible about hotel space during the high tourist season).

Sayhello

Our SWS trip (not adults only) over the 4th of July week went with only 16 people. Not that it's any indication of what ABD might do in the future, but maybe it will ease some folk's worries to know that trips do go with a small group. I've been told by ABD that there is no hard and fast rule for number of guests.

I too am concerned about my trip in August to Scotland. I feel that Disney needs to address this issue. They need to be more transparent. There repeat guests are worried and starting to look at other operators for future vacations. These are luxury vacations and Disney should be bending over backwards to keep them coming back. This policy is not helping. Also, any person looking to book their first ABD, will probably do a Google search and this board and this thread will pop up! I bet this policy will discourage some bookings. Baring any safety concerns, I think Disney should honor these trips already scheduled in 2015. Then starting in 2016 offer fewer trips if capacity is the issue. This is just my opinion for what it is worth.
I definitely agree with you that Disney needs to address this, but I think the other key thing here is your next sentence "They need to be more transparent." It seems to me that a big part of the problem is this not knowing why the trips are being cancelled. We assume it's number of people, because we've seen that before, but as Bobo912 says, trips have gone with small groups before. I can't believe that it's a random decision; I'm sure there's a good reason why CrazyZeus1's trip got cancelled. What I don't understand is why they won't tell them that reason. Perhaps understanding the situation would lessen the blow, and the feelings of abandonment by ABD. When my 2009 trip got cancelled, I certainly understood. They'd just greatly expanded, and then the economy tanked. People just weren't signing up for some trips. I didn't like it, but I understood, and dealt with it.

I think ABD keeping it all a big secret is a huge mistake, and is causing people to imagine "the worst"; that the trip was cancelled due to lack of people (which is so ill-defined) and that this could happen to their trip, too. Whereas, if it turned out that something unique happened (the local ABD Guide was suddenly unable to work that week for some reason and there was no-one to replace her with, or all the hotels got sold out due to some festival, or whatever!) then people would understand that sometimes things beyond their control happen. But just ignoring it, pretending we don't need to know - in fact, this whole policy that our time and money is not as important as theirs and that they don't need to make any commitment to us -- shows a level of disrespect for their guests that really surprises me, given the experience I've had with ABD up until now. I don't know how high up this stuff comes from, who is making these decisions, but it sure doesn't jive with the folks at ABD that I've gotten to know and love. They have a fabulous product and fabulous people, and someone high up is making policy that is spoiling that for a lot of people. And it's a damn shame.

Sayhello

I definitely agree with you that Disney needs to address this, but I think the other key thing here is your next sentence "They need to be more transparent." It seems to me that a big part of the problem is this not knowing why the trips are being cancelled. We assume it's number of people, because we've seen that before, but as Bobo912 says, trips have gone with small groups before. I can't believe that it's a random decision; I'm sure there's a good reason why CrazyZeus1's trip got cancelled. What I don't understand is why they won't tell them that reason. Perhaps understanding the situation would lessen the blow, and the feelings of abandonment by ABD. When my 2009 trip got cancelled, I certainly understood. They'd just greatly expanded, and then the economy tanked. People just weren't signing up for some trips. I didn't like it, but I understood, and dealt with it.

I think ABD keeping it all a big secret is a huge mistake, and is causing people to imagine "the worst"; that the trip was cancelled due to lack of people (which is so ill-defined) and that this could happen to their trip, too. Whereas, if it turned out that something unique happened (the local ABD Guide was suddenly unable to work that week for some reason and there was no-one to replace her with, or all the hotels got sold out due to some festival, or whatever!) then people would understand that sometimes things beyond their control happen. But just ignoring it, pretending we don't need to know - in fact, this whole policy that our time and money is not as important as theirs and that they don't need to make any commitment to us -- shows a level of disrespect for their guests that really surprises me, given the experience I've had with ABD up until now. I don't know how high up this stuff comes from, who is making these decisions, but it sure doesn't jive with the folks at ABD that I've gotten to know and love. They have a fabulous product and fabulous people, and someone high up is making policy that is spoiling that for a lot of people. And it's a damn shame.

Sayhello

I posted this in another post but it seems to have gotten worse since they put various entities under one vice president, ABD unfortunatley falls under Karl Holz who, IMO, is a dolt.

To make everyone feel better I think i can top all the ABD cancellation s, i was booked on the 1st DCL Magic sailing after the Major changes and they cancelled that crusie 3 days prior to sailing. Good lord did I have to scramble to save my vacation

I think ABD also needs to realize that it isn't always about the cancellation but the vacation time involved. I know some of it is school related for travellers but some might be job related. I pick my vacation in December for the entire following year and I might be able to change it but more than likely I won't because only 1 person with the same Title can take the same week off there 10 people with my title where I work and we all get 5 weeks vacation so with 50 weeks out of 52 to choose it highly unlikely that I would be able to switch easily.

I think I am taking a break next year from ABD, I hated my central Europe trip and when I got to speak to an executive about it he was very dismissive and didn't seem interested in the issues I had that to me was very telling in how the higher ups view their returning guests so I am going to send one more letter when I find the time to write it and after I will make my desicion about my furture with ABD. I also want to do a transatlantic cruise and the DCL itineratry for next year to Europe I really like so that will be my big trip in 2016

Last edited:
To expand on Sayhello's post about transparency (and in the hopes that someone from ABD will read this)...

In addition to being transparent about cancellations and the reasons for them, ABD needs to be transparent about these guaranteed trips. They simply cannot have it both ways and expect to have happy/satisfied customers. The cancellation policy (on ABD's end) should be thoroughly explained by the TA BEFORE any reservation is made. And EVERY customer should be offered a guaranteed departure date before a reservation is confirmed. If the customer doesn't want those dates, fine, but they should be offered. It is simply unacceptable and inexcusable that I have to go to a THIRD PARTY website to determine which travel dates are guaranteed departures. This information should be clearly displayed on the itineraries listed on the ABD website, and it should be clearly communicated by every single authorized ABD TA.

Even though I really did not want to travel in August, I probably would have booked the August guaranteed departure for our trip, had I known it was available.

I've traveled to Europe before and visited quite a few cities/sites as a solo traveler (Munich, Neuschwanstein, Chiemsee, Garmisch, Florence, and Venice), but I did so in my early twenties. Now, 15 years later and with a 10 year old son in tow, dragging our luggage through train stations while running to catch a train to the next location really doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. A lot of people have asked me why I chose ABD (especially since Europe is doable and typically much cheaper on your own), and I tell them it's for the peace of mind. The peace of mind that all hotel accommodations will be top notch, most of our food is included, all transportation is included, we never once have to worry about our luggage, etc. Basically, all I have to do is get us to the departure gate at our home airport, and the rest is completely taken care of.

Well, let me tell you, at 28 days out and over $10k spent, I don't have the peace of mind that I thought I was paying for.

Do I think my trip will be cancelled at this point? No, but the fact that ABD is unwilling to confirm one way or the other is pretty much a slap in the face. Based on my experiences the last few years at WDW, it is clear to me that Disney management is certain that for every paying customer there are 5 more behind them who are willing to take that same reservation. That's a fine business philosophy to have, but where I have a problem is when representatives of the company TREAT customers as though they are replaceable. Yet, this is exactly what Disney is doing. I am still steaming over the fact when I tried to proactively protect my vacation (because of this ridiculous cancellation policy), ABD's answer was to charge me $1000 more for the same itinerary. Their "plan B" was to offer me a guaranteed departure trip...to one of their Latin America destinations (Costa Rica or Peru; I can't recall which). Because every customer who has a castle tour of Germany booked wants it replaced with a trip to the jungle ~insert sarcasm here~! This level of customer service is simply not acceptable in my book.

I am planning and hoping for a great trip. However, I have been asked by quite a few people to "report back" about our trip, and regardless of how fantastic it is, I will feel compelled to warn anyone who is thinking about booking an ABD trip to proceed with caution because of this cancellation policy.

Last edited:
TX--. We're you unaware of the guaranteed departures before you booked? Because you can just ask a vaccationista and he/she will tell you what the dates are.

We're you unaware of the guaranteed departures before you booked? Because you can just ask a vaccationista and he/she will tell you what the dates are.

No...I had no idea about such a thing. My TA never mentioned it. And I used the ABD website to check itineraries and dates, so I didn't see it there, either. I didn't hear about it until I started reading these boards, and by then it was too late (the only guaranteed departure date that would have worked for us was already wait listed).

No one really knows when the new cancellation policy went into effect. I think I may have booked prior to it being announced (I booked last July), but since it took effect immediately, it affected my trip.

Ultimately, it's my responsibility to look into and understand all of the details. But it's kind of hard to ask about guaranteed departure trips when you don't even know that such a thing even exits. Considering that ABD basically forces you to use a TA, this is something I would expect the TA to disclose upfront.

I'm looking now, and I can't even find anything about guaranteed departures on my TA's website. I read about them here via info provided by a TA that I didn't even use!

Last edited:
Considering that ABD basically forces you to use a TA, this is something I would expect the TA to disclose upfront.
OK, I have to ask about this. What do you mean by "ABD basically forces you to use a TA"? I've never felt that at all, so I'm curious why you feel that way.

Sayhello

OK, I have to ask about this. What do you mean by "ABD basically forces you to use a TA"? I've never felt that at all, so I'm curious why you feel that way.

Sayhello

Part of that statement was my own misunderstanding. I'm used to being able to book WDW trips and Disney Cruises on-line. With ABD that's not an option, but I do see on their website that there is a 1-800 number you can call. Has this always been the case? Because in years past when I considered booking (it took me a while to finally pull the trigger) it seems like there wasn't one.

The second issue, though, is TAs sometimes offer some sort of early booking discount. I saved about $500 on our trip (as a credit) through my TA. If you work directly with ABD, do you receive the same discount? It was always my understanding that these discounts were exclusive to the TAs (similar to the OBCs you sometimes get when booking a cruise through a TA).

Part of that statement was my own misunderstanding. I'm used to being able to book WDW trips and Disney Cruises on-line. With ABD that's not an option, but I do see on their website that there is a 1-800 number you can call. Has this always been the case? Because in years past when I considered booking (it took me a while to finally pull the trigger) it seems like there wasn't one.

The second issue, though, is TAs sometimes offer some sort of early booking discount. I saved about $500 on our trip (as a credit) through my TA. If you work directly with ABD, do you receive the same discount? It was always my understanding that these discounts were exclusive to the TAs (similar to the OBCs you sometimes get when booking a cruise through a TA).
As Rapunzellover has said, ABD no longer offers an Early Booking Discount (they did several years ago). So if your TA is offering you a discount, it's coming from them, not ABD, just like OBCs do.

ABD has always (or as long as I've been aware of ABD) had an 800 number you can call to book adventures. And that was 2006. It does tend to be in smaller font up in a corner, which I guess I never noticed. I agree some sort of online booking would be nice, but booking directly with ABD is very easy to do. But, as you've said, you won't get those added bonuses that TA's can offer you.

Sayhello

To expand on Sayhello's post about transparency (and in the hopes that someone from ABD will read this)...

In addition to being transparent about cancellations and the reasons for them, ABD needs to be transparent about these guaranteed trips. They simply cannot have it both ways and expect to have happy/satisfied customers. The cancellation policy (on ABD's end) should be thoroughly explained by the TA BEFORE any reservation is made. And EVERY customer should be offered a guaranteed departure date before a reservation is confirmed. If the customer doesn't want those dates, fine, but they should be offered. It is simply unacceptable and inexcusable that I have to go to a THIRD PARTY website to determine which travel dates are guaranteed departures. This information should be clearly displayed on the itineraries listed on the ABD website, and it should be clearly communicated by every single authorized ABD TA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter