Cancelled by ABD: It DOES happen :(

The trip which was cancelled was last Easter (the Italy trip, Rome,Florence,Venice). We had that trip as well as Germany booked the following June. We luckily found space with a Tauck trip to Italy but still had to change our tickets by one day and thus the change fee. They (Tauck) do a wonderful job in their Bridges program that is just for families. We were very impressed. ABD should get their act together IMO.
Tauk and Thompson were the two companies we were looking at yesterday....we just hate to depart from Disney <3

REALLY interesting! My husband is exactly like you, and that's why he didn't turn it over to ABD for flights. I will let him know that we could do it this way and he may find more comfort in that method. I assumed if ABD did your flights, you have to do whatever they find!
I'm also this way, very, very intense about getting exactly the right flights/times/seats/etc. So I was very happy to learn after the canceled trip in 2009, that ABD will book exactly what you ask them to book. They'll provide you with suggestions if you want them to, but if you specify what you want, that's what they'll book (assuming it's still available). It's worked well for me several times.

Sayhello

REALLY interesting! My husband is exactly like you, and that's why he didn't turn it over to ABD for flights. I will let him know that we could do it this way and he may find more comfort in that method. I assumed if ABD did your flights, you have to do whatever they find!
ABD doesn't use a consolidator, probably because of the low number of people per trip, you find the flights nd ABD books them. Unless I am using miles i have always used ABD to book my airfare. Especially after they cancelled my first two attempts at an ABD. It doesn't happen too often anymore, at least not that I have heard of, but it happened when they started to expand.

I feel so bad for you I have been on two trips that had 21 and 22 people respectiveley so i doubt it was interest I am thinking that something happend with either the hotels or more likely the native guide they have. On all the trips I have done where English is not the spoken language ABD has a Native guide who speaks the language and i am assuming they would need that in SouthEast Asia and that may be the problem.

OP, I'm so sorry to hear about all the hassle. What a huge bummer! I find the ABD cancellation policy very disconcerting, and I hope they do something to rectify soon. The uncertainty about cancellation and the fact that they are canceling trips without explanation and consistency makes me leery of booking and relying on them. When you are paying these kind of prices it is inexcusable. At the very least they should return to their previous policy of trips being guaranteed 75 days out AND specifying a minimum by which trips are then guaranteed to go. We are going on a National Geographic walk across England in September and from the outset they told us that they needed at least 8 people to sign up to go. We were 3 and 4. A few months later we hit the minimum and they sent out an email that the trip was now guaranteed. Why Disney can't do something similar, I have no idea. It's pretty ridiculous and extremely poor customer service.

I SO hate to complain about ABD because we have taken three ABD trips so far and they have been AMAZING...we have another one booked currently (and had a 5th with Vietnam booked). I just put this out there with hopes that somebody with ABD reads these boards, and sees that cancellation is something we are all aware of, but it REALLY matters how it's handled if that has to happen.

The lack of answers is even more puzzling because the two dates before ours, and the date after ours is still "on"...only our itenerary was cancelled. So I would just REALLY love to know why!!

I SO hate to complain about ABD because we have taken three ABD trips so far and they have been AMAZING...we have another one booked currently (and had a 5th with Vietnam booked). I just put this out there with hopes that somebody with ABD reads these boards, and sees that cancellation is something we are all aware of, but it REALLY matters how it's handled if that has to happen.

The lack of answers is even more puzzling because the two dates before ours, and the date after ours is still "on"...only our itenerary was cancelled. So I would just REALLY love to know why!!
ABD does read these boards. I really hope they're reading this thread, because it's the one serious downside to an amazing company. To alienate faithful customers like this just doesn't make sense to me.

Sayhello

I agree with you Sayhello. ABD is one of the highest cost per person in the family travel tour operators and I believe should deliver a higher end product in terms of treating the customer before the trip. I could care less about the "box". I do care that I can count on a trip that I reserve a year in advance will be available. If there is a cancellation I should be entitled to a truthful explanation and all expenses incurred by me be reimbursed. Now the policy seems to be "if we feel like it". A far cry from the way they run the parks.

I'm glad they read then! We have the means and time to do 4 ABDs a year. This Vietnam cancellation with NO explanation has really made us question if we want to reserve every trip and sit on pins and needles waiting to make sure we're not cancelled. If our plane tickets had been non-refundable like one of the commenters above, my DH would have gone BANANAS...eating over $5,000 in tickets would not have been good.

"I reallly wish ABD/Disney would re-evaluate how they assist customers when they do have to cancel an itenerary. We feel like we were begging them to help us spend another $20,000 with ABD."

I'm so sorry. As a DVC/ABD/previous annual pass holders from Ohio we can relate; it does often feel that Disney has forgotten that it's easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Wishing you all the best.

"I reallly wish ABD/Disney would re-evaluate how they assist customers when they do have to cancel an itenerary. We feel like we were begging them to help us spend another $20,000 with ABD."

I'm so sorry. As a DVC/ABD/previous annual pass holders from Ohio we can relate; it does often feel that Disney has forgotten that it's easier to keep a customer than to get a new one.

Wishing you all the best.

That's what Hubby was explaining to "Brent" at customer service. We are DVC members, pass holders, ABD nuts....we are a Disney family at heart and we are loyal. We don't feel like we are being treated like we matter...and that's hard to take.

Back in 2009 when ABD cancelled our trip, I thought they handled it very well. The cancellation came very early and I hadn't booked air yet, so it might have been more of a hassle if I had. Even though we were disappointed at first, everything worked out well. But more recently when we had issues on and after our trip, I felt like ABD didn't really care. I gave ABD another chance last year and had no issues, but I wasn't blown away by the trip either. It was okay, but for the price, it should have been exceptional. After 5 ABDs, I think I'm done. I'm handling my own plans this year and next year I've booked a river cruise, but not with ABD (and not the Danube - we've already done that). OP, I hope everything works out okay for you.

I gave ABD another chance last year and had no issues, but I wasn't blown away by the trip either. It was okay, but for the price, it should have been exceptional. After 5 ABDs, I think I'm done. I'm handling my own plans this year and next year I've booked a river cruise, but not with ABD (and not the Danube - we've already done that). OP, I hope everything works out okay for you.

Out of curiosity, which trip did you feel wasn't up to par?

Out of curiosity, which trip did you feel wasn't up to par?

Ireland. The guides were good, as usual, but I don't think we did anything I couldn't have arranged myself. And I came home feeling like I didn't see very much of Ireland.

I'm saddened to hear this, Bobo, as I have my Ireland adventure set for July this year. But, honestly, pretty much all the ABDs are doable on your own it just takes money and planning.

My family is currently scheduled on an ABD trip to France that starts in 75 days (July 25) and it is STILL NOT GUARANTEED. This is our third ABD trip. I have been RAVING about how much I love ABD to anyone who will listen, but my opinion has changed significantly due to this issue. We booked this trip ONE YEAR AGO. We plan ahead. We booked flights at least 9 months in advance (and yes, we booked them ourselves in order to get there early and get acclimated to the time change ). We all schedule vacations at work (my sister-in-law is a doctor and has a long lead time to be out of the office for over a week). There are currently only 14 people on the trip. The week before is waitlisted and the week after is waitlisted - so I guess I just picked a bad week? I am a basket case with the "not knowing." We plan vacations in advance to NOT have this level of anxiety. I honestly never suspected that Disney would be treating this division like it is a start-up this far into the game. We paid the reservation in full at the end of 2014. We've spent over $20k and we still don't know if we are going to France this summer? That's crazy.

I have to qualify this by saying that we are DVC members - we are Platinum Level Disney Cruisers - and as I mentioned, this was to be our THIRD ABD. I am a Disney loyalist. But, this situation with ABD is making feel jerked around. Tricked. I did read the small print but I thought by picking a tried and true itinerary in the middle of summer we'd be okay. I also thought that ABD was popular and performing well and would fill up quickly.

They are telling me now that they will make a decision in the next two weeks. Imagine trying to book a tour with someone/anyone for that specific 10 days in July in the next few weeks - how much it will cost - if anything is even remotely available. They make you COMMIT to them - to pay non refundable fees and not make ANY changes - far in advance. But they will not COMMIT to us - and reserve the right to cancel when we are THIS CLOSE.

Anyone else waiting on a trip to be confirmed? Anyone else want to go to France in late July? Please sign up ASAP. :)

A lot of us have walked in your shoes and can relate to how stressful these days can become. I would suggest you look at other companies just to have some information about what is available for that week you have already paid. It happened to us (even though there was 32+people signed) and we were fortunate to go with Tauck. Good Luck.

My family is currently scheduled on an ABD trip to France that starts in 75 days (July 25) and it is STILL NOT GUARANTEED. This is our third ABD trip. I have been RAVING about how much I love ABD to anyone who will listen, but my opinion has changed significantly due to this issue. We booked this trip ONE YEAR AGO. We plan ahead. We booked flights at least 9 months in advance (and yes, we booked them ourselves in order to get there early and get acclimated to the time change ). We all schedule vacations at work (my sister-in-law is a doctor and has a long lead time to be out of the office for over a week). There are currently only 14 people on the trip. The week before is waitlisted and the week after is waitlisted - so I guess I just picked a bad week? I am a basket case with the "not knowing." We plan vacations in advance to NOT have this level of anxiety. I honestly never suspected that Disney would be treating this division like it is a start-up this far into the game. We paid the reservation in full at the end of 2014. We've spent over $20k and we still don't know if we are going to France this summer? That's crazy.

I have to qualify this by saying that we are DVC members - we are Platinum Level Disney Cruisers - and as I mentioned, this was to be our THIRD ABD. I am a Disney loyalist. But, this situation with ABD is making feel jerked around. Tricked. I did read the small print but I thought by picking a tried and true itinerary in the middle of summer we'd be okay. I also thought that ABD was popular and performing well and would fill up quickly.

They are telling me now that they will make a decision in the next two weeks. Imagine trying to book a tour with someone/anyone for that specific 10 days in July in the next few weeks - how much it will cost - if anything is even remotely available. They make you COMMIT to them - to pay non refundable fees and not make ANY changes - far in advance. But they will not COMMIT to us - and reserve the right to cancel when we are THIS CLOSE.

Anyone else waiting on a trip to be confirmed? Anyone else want to go to France in late July? Please sign up ASAP. :)

This is the exact issue I have. We are booked on our first ABD to Germany, leaving June 11. When I went to buy plane tickets (which was around the time the final payment was also due), I inquired about the number of people on the trip. My TA gave me a number somewhere between 10-15 - I can't remember exactly. I got concerned and inquired about the same itinerary the week before (which I intentionally didn't choose because I figured some people would still be in school). It had about twice the number of guests, so I asked if we could change. These were the ONLY two weeks my son and I could travel because he has to spend the entire month of July with his dad (which always eats into the last weekend in June and the first weekend in August). So, our vacation dates are VERY limited. Anyway, after some back and forth, ABD agreed to switch our departure date, but only if I paid the difference between the rate I booked and the current rate of the trip! The difference was over $1000! I was really disappointed (but not surprised) that they wouldn't honor the original cost. And I certainly wasn't going to fork over another $1000 on a trip that is already costing me over $10k!

Anyway, I posted about it all on another thread. I wound up keeping the original trip and booking airline tickets through ABD so that there wouldn't be an issue with refunds if the trip is cancelled. ABD would not budge when I asked about chances of cancellation. They just had my TA redirect us to the guaranteed trips (which are very limited and not scheduled at times that work for us).

We are right at 31 days out. I think my travel agent said the number of guests is up to at least 20, but I can't remember for sure.

I am looking forward to our trip, but my experience dealing with ABD so far has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am not inclined to book with them again if they keep this cancellation policy. It's just not worth the risk of ending up with no vacation at all, should ABD cancel on short notice. Certainly, the bar has been raised even higher, in terms of what I expect on this trip, for me to even consider booking with ABD again. They are really going to have to blow me away. I don't think that's the attitude ABD would want their guests to have if they want repeat travelers.

I am so sorry that your trip was cancelled without an explanation. Not fair at all.

I am reconsidering going to China with ABD next year. I have been mulling over the idea of going with Abercrombie & Kent and have discussed this in previous threads. The only thing making me want to go with Disney is the trip to the park in Hong Kong. Abercrombie trip doesn't include Hong Kong so it's something we'd have to do completely on our own (which we are comfortable doing).

I take a lot of time planning our trips so to have it cancelled at all, let alone at the last minute, would be reprehensible IMHO.

Frankly, ABD's saving grace is that once you are on your trip, everything is top notch. I'm just making sure to book guaranteed departures from now on.

As a solo person, I have to say, ABD gives me that family safety and friendliness without making me feel awkward.

I honestly wasn't impressed with Tauck, for example when I checked in to travelling solo with them, cause they made me feel unwanted in ways worse than fear of cancellation and difficulty rebooking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter