Cancellation Policy

mastermind307

DIS Veteran
I know the policy is you have to cancel 24 hours before or be charged $10/person. But is it 24 hours from the time of the ADR or 11:59PM the night before? So if we have a 7:30am ADR at Whispering Canyon on Oct. 13, do we have to cancel by 7:30am on Oct. 12 (a full 24 hours before) or do we have until 11:59 on Oct. 12 to cancel? We're not planning to cancel any of our ADRs but things can happen that we can't plan for and I want to make sure I understand the policy correctly. Thanks!

ADR NO-SHOW CANCELLATION FEES "411":
ALL Table Service eateries, both Disney-owned and non-Disney-owned are covered by this policy.
1) The rule says you are charged $10 per person for "no-show" ADR's.
. . . penalty applies when none of the party appears for the ADR
. . . penalty does not apply as long as some guests in party appear
2) The "no-show" penalty procedure
. . . podium person lists ADR as no-show (checks "On Hold" box in computer)
. . . usually after 30-minutes tardiness you are marked as a "no-show"
. . . once listed as "no-show", your name and number of your guests are listed
. . . the computer is reviewed by a manager at the end of the operating day
. . . the eatery manager SOLELY determines whether or not to charge you
. . . if charged, the cost penalty is on your credit/debit card immediately
. . . there are no exceptions for missing ADR's for such things as late flights
. . . if worried about late/delayed flights, don't book a TS meal until well after arrival time
. . . there are NO exceptons for being delayed due to crowded WDW rides or attractions
. . . it is up to you to plan you day to meet ADR times
. . . if you get there and decide not to wait for your ADR< you WILL be charged the no-show-fee
3) Exceptions - policy
. . . penalty is not assessed for cancellations made the day before ADR
. . . the ADR must be canceled by 11:59pm the previous day to avoid a no-show penalty
. . . for pre-paid meals, there are 24-48 hour cancel periods (eg. CRT, HDDR, Luau)
4) Exceptions - not policy, and at manager's discretion
. . . cancellations for lunch/dinner made early in the same day
. . . you come to the eatery ANYTIME during the same day and apologize
. . . a few minutes tardy, podium person usually will not denote you as "On Hold"
5) No-Show Penalty Trial Period Backstory
. . . this was done on a trial-basis for 4-weeks in Epcot
. . . cut down no-shows by over 75% at Epcot eateries
. . . Le Cellier cut daily no-shows to 1-page from 2-3 pages
. . . now a policy, as no-shows greatly can reduce eatery revenue
. . . a no-show takes a ressie someone else might have kept
. . . the policy was then trialled for character meals and signature meals
. . . being so successful, it is in effect for almost all table service meals across-the-property

NOTE1: During busy periods, there might not be a grace period and late-is-late, and they
might even cancel your ADR. However, whether the ADR was canceled due to tardiness or
not, the penalty fee will not be imposed, as long as you showed at the podium.

NOTE2: IMPORTANT
If you show up 2-hrs before your reservaion, you still might get the penalty fee.
The "Ala Carte" dining reservation system
. . . the system only shows/allows only 2-hrs of ADR's for check-in purposes
. . . if you show within that time, the SEATER (aka, host/hostess) checks you in with no problem
. . . if you are earlier or later, the SEATER must write your name and confirmation number down in long hand
. . . the long hand note is given to the manager
. . . the manager, then, will look at the non-shows at the end of the day and not charge you
Why doesn't this happen all the time?
. . . some SEATER's are simply lazy
. . . others just don't care
If you show up 2-hrs early for your ADR, ask the SEATER if they have noted your confirmation number that you have appeared to the ADR.
If the SEATER does not note your arrival, you can bet you will see a no-show penalty-fee on your credit card.

ADR NO-SHOW CANCELLATION FEES "411":
ALL Table Service eateries, both Disney-owned and non-Disney-owned are covered by this policy.
1) The rule says you are charged $10 per person for "no-show" ADR's.
. . . penalty applies when none of the party appears for the ADR
. . . penalty does not apply as long as some guests in party appear
2) The "no-show" penalty procedure
. . . podium person lists ADR as no-show (checks "On Hold" box in computer)
. . . usually after 30-minutes tardiness you are marked as a "no-show"
. . . once listed as "no-show", your name and number of your guests are listed
. . . the computer is reviewed by a manager at the end of the operating day
. . . the eatery manager SOLELY determines whether or not to charge you
. . . if charged, the cost penalty is on your credit/debit card immediately
. . . there are no exceptions for missing ADR's for such things as late flights
. . . if worried about late/delayed flights, don't book a TS meal until well after arrival time
. . . there are NO exceptons for being delayed due to crowded WDW rides or attractions
. . . it is up to you to plan you day to meet ADR times
. . . if you get there and decide not to wait for your ADR< you WILL be charged the no-show-fee
3) Exceptions - policy
. . . penalty is not assessed for cancellations made the day before ADR
. . . the ADR must be canceled by 11:59pm the previous day to avoid a no-show penalty
. . . for pre-paid meals, there are 24-48 hour cancel periods (eg. CRT, HDDR, Luau)
4) Exceptions - not policy, and at manager's discretion
. . . cancellations for lunch/dinner made early in the same day
. . . you come to the eatery ANYTIME during the same day and apologize
. . . a few minutes tardy, podium person usually will not denote you as "On Hold"
5) No-Show Penalty Trial Period Backstory
. . . this was done on a trial-basis for 4-weeks in Epcot
. . . cut down no-shows by over 75% at Epcot eateries
. . . Le Cellier cut daily no-shows to 1-page from 2-3 pages
. . . now a policy, as no-shows greatly can reduce eatery revenue
. . . a no-show takes a ressie someone else might have kept
. . . the policy was then trialled for character meals and signature meals
. . . being so successful, it is in effect for almost all table service meals across-the-property

NOTE1: During busy periods, there might not be a grace period and late-is-late, and they
might even cancel your ADR. However, whether the ADR was canceled due to tardiness or
not, the penalty fee will not be imposed, as long as you showed at the podium.

NOTE2: IMPORTANT
If you show up 2-hrs before your reservaion, you still might get the penalty fee.
The "Ala Carte" dining reservation system
. . . the system only shows/allows only 2-hrs of ADR's for check-in purposes
. . . if you show within that time, the SEATER (aka, host/hostess) checks you in with no problem
. . . if you are earlier or later, the SEATER must write your name and confirmation number down in long hand
. . . the long hand note is given to the manager
. . . the manager, then, will look at the non-shows at the end of the day and not charge you
Why doesn't this happen all the time?
. . . some SEATER's are simply lazy
. . . others just don't care
If you show up 2-hrs early for your ADR, ask the SEATER if they have noted your confirmation number that you have appeared to the ADR.
If the SEATER does not note your arrival, you can bet you will see a no-show penalty-fee on your credit card.

Thanks so much for this post and all of the other valuable information that you provide. May I ask why this conflicts with what appears on the Disney official website at the following link

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/restaurant-reservation-cancellation/

The link states:

You can cancel your dining reservation online or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 up to 10:59 PM Eastern Time on the day before your arrival.

Taken literally, I suppose there is no conflict with what you are saying (as of course you can cancel an ADR more than 24 hours in advance), but the link does seem to suggest that 10:59pm ET on the day before your arrival is the cut-off for no penalty. Thank you!

Thanks so much for this post and all of the other valuable information that you provide. May I ask why this conflicts with what appears on the Disney official website at the following link

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/restaurant-reservation-cancellation/

The link states:

You can cancel your dining reservation online or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 up to 10:59 PM Eastern Time on the day before your arrival.

Taken literally, I suppose there is no conflict with what you are saying (as of course you can cancel an ADR more than 24 hours in advance), but the link does seem to suggest that 10:59pm ET on the day before your arrival is the cut-off for no penalty. Thank you!
The website is full of errors and bad information. It's almost as untrustworthy as phone CMs.

Last edited:

The link states:

The phone lines are open until 11. But you can cancel online up until midnight.

Thanks! That at least explains why they say 10:59pm. But note that they also "on the day before your arrival" versus on the day before your reservation.

Thanks! That at least explains why they say 10:59pm. But note that they also "on the day before your arrival" versus on the day before your reservation.
Arrival at the restaurant.

May I ask why this conflicts with what appears on the Disney official website at the following link

Sometimes,, Disney does not notice when TheRustyScupper is right and they are wrong. :cool1:

Last edited:
Hello, I apologize for jumping in with a question that might have been covered, but I really need a solution. This my first time post here and I just messed up BIG time. I had a coveted, very difficult-to-get reservation for 'Ohana tomorrow night for two guests. I was planning on inviting a friend to join me but that didn't work out.

So after leaving the Magic Kingdom tonight, I was planning to hop on a bus, log in, and update my reservation from two guests to one guest. OK two problems.

1. After cancelling the 2 people, I naturally thought that I could immediately rebook the table for 1 person. But there were no reservations available at all for one person, which makes no sense since the two person table was available. Then when I tried to get that 2 person table back, it was gone. Someone snapped it up just that quickly.

2. I have no excuse for this, but all this took place slightly after midnight, which I only realized looking up at the clock on the Disney bus. OOPS! I thought that by rebooking quickly, I would get my reservation back and fix the problem, but instantly there were no tables available at all during the entire dinner hour.

So now, I have no Ohana, no dinner reservation, no all-you-care-to-enjoy potstickers, noodles, chicken wings, veggies, carved meats, and bread pudding... and maybe no way to avoid a $20 no-show fee for cancelling after midnight?

I understand the strict policy in this situation, but I somehow had a brain **** and did exactly what I wasn't supposed to do. Any advice from anyone, other than to pay the $20 and go scrounge for park fast food? What are my best options now?

Thank you disboard experts!! I can't sleep now and the WDW-DINE lines aren't staffed overnught until 7am.

In the future, just show up one person short. The fee is for no-show reservations, so as long as one person shows up (even if the reservation is for 15+ people), you won't be charged. But right now, you're just out of luck.

I appreciate this info. I'm so irritated by this. I live local and I don't plan out trips 6 months in advance; often our day trips are planned the night before or sometimes the same day. Because today is a school holiday, I did plan today's trip a week ago but DD9 decided she wanted to go to a different park when she got up.
I understand the fee and why they do this; I don't need anyone to explain the basics to me. However, I wanted to cancel the ADR I had at one park and create one at another park and was told even though I was bringing business to the new park, I would still incur the $10/pp cancel fee at the original restaurant. This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not a no-show. I called ahead to cancel when I realized our plans for the day changed. In the future for myself and my family, I just won't eat on property. I get that I'm only one little raindrop in an ocean of people and I don't make a difference to them but I will know.

I appreciate this info. I'm so irritated by this. I live local and I don't plan out trips 6 months in advance; often our day trips are planned the night before or sometimes the same day. Because today is a school holiday, I did plan today's trip a week ago but DD9 decided she wanted to go to a different park when she got up.
I understand the fee and why they do this; I don't need anyone to explain the basics to me. However, I wanted to cancel the ADR I had at one park and create one at another park and was told even though I was bringing business to the new park, I would still incur the $10/pp cancel fee at the original restaurant. This doesn't make sense to me. I'm not a no-show. I called ahead to cancel when I realized our plans for the day changed. In the future for myself and my family, I just won't eat on property. I get that I'm only one little raindrop in an ocean of people and I don't make a difference to them but I will know.

I'm sorry you are upset. I understand that you are a local and trips are planned close to actually going.
But rules need to be made that have boundaries. By the Cancellation Policy rules you are a no-show at the restaurant you are not going to. You did not cancel according to the rules and you are not going to eat there.
Good Luck in the future.

In the future for myself and my family, I just won't eat on property

I have to agree with Hopefully.

And refusing to eat at WDW in the future seems a bit extreme. If last minute changes in plans are something that typically occurs in your family, then just don't make ADRs until the day you are going to be in the park. Or eat at one of the CS restaurants. No need to make your family go hungry all day.

Last yr, we had a 6 pm ADR at Trails end. We were hungry so we went over about 5. We ask if we could get in earlier. We were seated about 15 min later. Paid our bill about 6:30.. At 8 oclock I got an alert from my CC that a charge was added. We were charged a no show fee. Front desk at BLT took care of it.

Last yr, we had a 6 pm ADR at Trails end. We were hungry so we went over about 5. We ask if we could get in earlier. We were seated about 15 min later. Paid our bill about 6:30.. At 8 oclock I got an alert from my CC that a charge was added. We were charged a no show fee. Front desk at BLT took care of it.

Yes that was clearly a mistake and was taken care of appropriately. That is a different scenario than not going to the restaurant at all to eat.

I'm glad I had the alerts on the account. If I had seen it a month later, I probably would have thought it was just for something we bought.

I'm glad I had the alerts on the account. If I had seen it a month later, I probably would have thought it was just for something we bought.

Do they send you an email explaining that you were charged the no-show fee? I hope so! That's a really good point that it could easily be overlooked.

Before Disney started charging these fees, I had two circumstances where I was considered a no-show. In both cases, I arrived slightly early and asked to be seated ahead of the reservation. Things weren't completely booked, so they obliged each time. But then I noticed a few days later that both reservations were marked as no-shows. Although there was no fee involved, I am afraid that it's gone on my "permanent Disney record" as bad guest behavior... even though I dined both times and have the credit card statements to prove it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter