Cancellation policy: is it best to book hotel and park tickets separately?

merrrida

Earning My Ears
I'm booking a trip for September 2023 for my family (2 adults, 3 year old). We are looking to stay at the Grand Californian. I'm trying to secure the best cancellation policy possible (day care germs currently have been causing a lot of illness around here). For us the best cancellation policy is being able to cancel or reschedule our trip as close as possible to the dates without large financial penalties ($200 is totally cool, whole cost of trip not so much).

Reviewing the policies it looks better to book hotel and ticket separately then? Are there advantages I'll be missing out on not booking hotel + tickets package?

we always do for maximum flexibilty . On a recent trip , our friends who were going with us got burned on a package deal , when prices for the Disneyland on property hotels dropped for a winter sale one month after booking . We were able to cancel and change to the Disneyland hotel, even saving some $$ , while they were stuck with keeping the paradise pier hotel due to the package.

flexibility is room plus tickets together via Disneyland website, as a package, so you can be refunded for both as long as you cancel within a certain period of time before trip starts….like 30-45 days.

is it maximum flexibility? Well, you get a refund for both. if you cancel less than the policy. I think you forfeit $200 deposit?

for a refund of just the room, five day cancellation policy but then you’d be stuck with tickets that you paid full price for…

I've booked GCH and tickets as a package several times with no issues, but I can see where doing them separate might be better for some people. Up until check-in I have been able to make changes to anything on the reservation like changing days, adding or removing guests, even choosing another room that was cheaper after I booked at original rate. I just opened the reservation in the app or online and hit the edit option and made the changes and saved. If something is cheaper it credited that amount to the price I owed, or back to me if I had already paid in full. Just ensure that if you change dates and you have park reservations already in place you will have to change those, so check to ensure those days are open first.

A few things to know:
  • Genie+ can't be purchased ahead of time with tickets unless its part of a package
  • I don't believe you can switch to another hotel with a package (but call and ask a CM to be sure).
  • Packages require a $200 deposit with the balance due 30-days before you arrive
  • If you cancel a package before the 30-day window you will get your $200 deposit back.
  • If you cancel a package after the 30-day window up until 5 days before, which means you've paid in full, then you will be fully refunded for the hotel + tickets minus the $200 deposit. I believe this is because tickets in packages are not issued until 4 days prior to arrival, which means you are not get stuck with tickets like the previous post mentioned.
  • If you purchase tickets separately and then don't go you can't get a refund for just tickets, but call and have them setup so you use them at another time. If prices are more on the day you choose to go later you will have to pay the difference.

A few things to know:
  • Genie+ can't be purchased ahead of time with tickets unless its part of a package.

This is not true. Tickets with G+ can be purchased in advance at DLR regardless if purchased separately or with a package. Also regardless if purchased directly through Disney or through an authorized third party.

This is not true. Tickets with G+ can be purchased in advance at DLR regardless if purchased separately or with a package. Also regardless if purchased directly through Disney or through an authorized third party.
You are correct! My bad, I was still thinking about WDW for Genie+ where they changed it since I just booked our Christmas vacation today there instead of DLR this year.

We always have something go wrong with something every trip.

Keeping things seperate means only one thing to fix.

Buying tickets direct means I can get help at the park and not be told "You gotta call them."

Whatever savings there is to be had never adds up to making things worth it.

In my personal experience, buying tickets separately has always been a positive experience. There are several great and very reputable third party sites (i.e. UT) that offer tickets at a discount and are a trusted partner of Disney. If I have to move my trip, I move the tickets. The tickets are typically valid through the end of the following year. Even if I were for some reason unable to use my tickets before they expire, I STILL GET the value of the tickets to apply towards the cost of new tickets (i.e. a price increase). You never completely lose the funds if tickets expire. There are also often great hotel deals, which sometimes must be booked as "hotel" only items. Many offsite hotels have generous cancellation policies as close as 24-48 hours prior to arrival (Disney also sells Good Neighbor packages).

If you want closer to a full refund, then yes a package where you lose the deposit might be better for some people. I would personally rather get my hotel fully refunded/moved and keep the value of the tickets to use as I see fit, rather than lose $200 altogether.

Another alternative - travel insurance. It's possible that might be cheaper than losing a deposit, but it depends. You need to read the fine print of what's included and weigh the costs compared to booking a package or items separately. This includes not only Disney's travel insurance, but also widely available options via a site like Insure My Trip.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter