• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cancel October trip without Oogie tickets?

Aspencreek

Mouseketeer
Tried but didn't get Oogie tickets. Would you still go in October or delay for another time knowing that October has been crazy busy the last few years?

Last edited:
There are other Halloween things during the day like Guardians of the Galaxy, Mickey + friends in Halloween costumes, Jack + Sally, the Haunted Mansion Christmas overlay, Halloween decorations and food. If you want to specifically see those things, then it could still be worth going. But if you mainly care about rides and the normal stuff, then it's probably not worth it.

Are you planning to stay at one of the Disneyland hotels? I recall hearing that they have Oogie Boogie tickets for hotel guests to purchase.

If you still want to see everything else in Halloween fashion, I'd go. But if the most important thing was the party one night then go another time when you'd enjoy it more.

Two years ago, we were able to score one extra OBB ticket staying at the Grand. Went to the front desk area around 6am.

If it is important to see the Halloween decorations and feel that vibe, knowing that it will be crazy busy, I'd go. But if it was just for the party I'd pass and go another time. We were there the first week of October last year and honestly it was a crowded mess. I doubt we will ever go during Halloween again, which is a bummer because we love how it is all decorated. A Cast Member told us it was busier than what they've seen at New Year's. That said, with Genie + (I HATE how Disney created a problem so they could sell a solution), rope drop, staying late, taking a mid-day rest at the hotel, etc we still got on all the rides we wanted. But it just felt like work and stress and not a relaxing vacation. But a bad day at Disneyland is better than any great day at work! :)

It's worth going if you love Halloween. The decorations are great and sometimes the special food/drinks are good. If you don't really care about Halloween stuff, it's not a good time to go.

I got Oogie Boogie tickets from staying at DLH last year. They had a limited number and we were told to visit the front desk at 6am on the day of the party. I was there about 10 minutes early and there were already about 6 people ahead of me. They take your name and number of tickets desired and then you sit in the lobby until they call your name. Apparently, all 3 hotels do it and they split the tickets between the 3 hotels which is why it's not guaranteed. I did see one family turned away because they were staying several nights and the front desk person told them that too many people were going that particular night and for them to come back at 6am on a different day. I saw another group that just arrived with all their luggage to check in at 6am and they were able to get tickets.

I went with a girlfriend in Oct 2021 without OBB tickets. I wanted to see all the Halloween decorations and eat all the treats! I love Halloween though.

I'm not one to tell anyone to cancel a Disney trip as I love them --- but that said, we went to Disneyland from October 6 to October 10, 2021 and it was our worst Disney trip ever-- and we have been to WDW in a hurricane and the week between Christmas and New Years (which actually was a very fun trip). Oogie Boogie Bash was the only thing that made our trip worthwhile. We have been to WDW many times in October and been to MNSSHP many times, and October in DLR was nothing like WDW--- it was WAY more crowed at DLR.

HOWEVER--- I will say that in 2021 they did not yet have Genie +, so there was no fast pass at all and with the crowds that made it miserable. DH said he was never going back without some type of fast pass system. It might be completely different now that you can manage things better with Genie +. If you purchase Genie+ you might be able to have fantastic time. I would not go the same week we did unless you are planning on Genie +-- if it had existed in October 2021 when we were there our trip might not have been so miserable. It is the only Disney trip we have ever had where DD asked if we could book a new flight a day early and just go home. She LOVES Disney.

We were just there last weekend. I was expecting it to be crazy crowded since it was Labor Day weekend, but it was not. It was wonderful. It was about the level crowd that we have seen in our June and July trips--- really less crowded than the Mondays of those trips. Halloween started September 1. We bought Genie + and were able to do a ton with that. Our longest wait was for Rise of the Resistance-- we waited an hour because we decided that was better than paying $75 for 3 people. We missed Oogie Boogie Bash by a day, but as much as I love the party-- I would take this trip over that October trip for sure. This time instead of asking to leave early, DD was so sad we couldn't stay another day or two.

I'm not one to tell anyone to cancel a Disney trip as I love them --- but that said, we went to Disneyland from October 6 to October 10, 2021 and it was our worst Disney trip ever-- and we have been to WDW in a hurricane and the week between Christmas and New Years (which actually was a very fun trip). Oogie Boogie Bash was the only thing that made our trip worthwhile. We have been to WDW many times in October and been to MNSSHP many times, and October in DLR was nothing like WDW--- it was WAY more crowed at DLR.

HOWEVER--- I will say that in 2021 they did not yet have Genie +, so there was no fast pass at all and with the crowds that made it miserable. DH said he was never going back without some type of fast pass system. It might be completely different now that you can manage things better with Genie +. If you purchase Genie+ you might be able to have fantastic time. I would not go the same week we did unless you are planning on Genie +-- if it had existed in October 2021 when we were there our trip might not have been so miserable. It is the only Disney trip we have ever had where DD asked if we could book a new flight a day early and just go home. She LOVES Disney.

We were just there last weekend. I was expecting it to be crazy crowded since it was Labor Day weekend, but it was not. It was wonderful. It was about the level crowd that we have seen in our June and July trips--- really less crowded than the Mondays of those trips. Halloween started September 1. We bought Genie + and were able to do a ton with that. Our longest wait was for Rise of the Resistance-- we waited an hour because we decided that was better than paying $75 for 3 people. We missed Oogie Boogie Bash by a day, but as much as I love the party-- I would take this trip over that October trip for sure. This time instead of asking to leave early, DD was so sad we couldn't stay another day or two.

Thanks for the detailed info ktlm and everyone else. Sounds like consensus view is October is just too insane still. I think we are going to try to push it back into November or December and go for the Christmas vibes instead. Now just have to research a bit and see when the slower times will be for that timeframe. Our only late year trip was in early December way back in 2016 and crowds weren't bad at all if I remember correctly.

Tried but didn't get Oogie tickets. Would you still go in October or delay for another time knowing that October has been crazy busy the last few years?
I would still go, as well as my daughters. Infact, that is exactly what we are doing. We couldn't get tickets, but we are going to try the day of a party to get tickets. If we don't get tickets, we will have fun in the parks anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter