Canadian DVC Members - 198 - List on Page 1

Hi friends,
I think we bought the dealership HHI last year and have already suffered addonitis twice, once in time SSR and AKV. We had four agreements, but we sold the original HHI. We love DVC and is one of the best decisions we made our families for future use.

Hello,

We are from Winnipeg. DH and I signed the papers on the 8th of this month on our last day of our latest trip.
We signed because of not being able to buy once we got home.
We are doing as much research as possible now to decide in the 10 day window if we really do want this. I know I know...people should do the research first but we were not able to go for the seminar until we were there.
We are now a family if five and the value resorts will not work for us in a couple of years.

Pros:
Nicer rooms at nicer resorts.
Having the point system stay relatively the same for the next 50 years. I know they shake them up from year to year but as a whole they do not increase.
Canadian dollar value
Knowing my kids will have this when they are older and it will help them out.
Having somewhere warm to go to in our cold winter months.
My family loves Disney and our kids are aged 12, 3, and 8 months so I see many years of Disney love fest on the menu

Cons:
No more free dining
No more room discount codes
Annual dues that increase
Possibility of not getting the rooms we want for our dates

We bought 200pts at BLT

Any other pros and cons that you think I should know about please chime in!

Kiki Mouse,
I am in Winnipeg too. We just bought at BLT when we were there in October. We only purchased 120pts because we only anticipate going every two years. I have 3 children as well. Hopefully you get all the information you need in the next 10 days. We just got our deed in the mail yesterday. It feels great!

Hello KiKi Mouse

I have helped a couple of others with these questions but not in such a short time frame. :goodvibes I took two years looking at this from every angle but at the start it did not work for our family, but we have been owners since 2004 and LOVE IT.

Here is what I suggest to determine if you bought the right number of points (my guide suggested this for us).

Plan five years worth of vacations (be a bit realistic about time off from work and the expense of going for best results). Pick the number of nights, a room size, resort and time of year that you would travel. Use the points charts to determine how many points you would need.

Do the math to see if you would have points that need to be banked or borrowed each year based on what you planned. If by the end of the five years, you have points that might expire if you don't bank them with RCI - you should adjust the number of points down a bit.

If you have to borrow all the time and don't have any left to borrow by the end of the five years, you might want to buy more.

This exercise really helped us. It was fun to plan what would be on our wish list and we decided on 200 points for our first purchase using this. Keep in mind the desire to add on more points later....we have done this twice now. :lmao:

You can email me if you have more specific questions. I love to talk DVC. :banana:

Good luck.

Cons:
No more free dining
No more room discount codes
Annual dues that increase
Possibility of not getting the rooms we want for our dates

Hi KiKi Mouse,

If you plan on returning year after year there are no cons!

1. Free dining up until the last year has only been offered in late Aug through Sept. If attendance numbers rise they will not offer this year round for long.

2. With DVC you don't need room discount codes, your room is already a great price

3. Yes the annual dues will rise, but so will the rates for regular rooms.

4. If you can't book 11 months out for peak travel seasons then yes it might be a problem, but if your willing to try different resorts it shouldn't be too bad to find a room around your dates.

I've had my membership for 3 years now and look back on my first trip in 98, boy I wish I would have bought back then. If you like deluxe Disney resorts, then this is the way to go.

we are in winnipeg also and we closed on a resale of 200 points at BWV on Nov 30. I also planned 5 years worth of vacations on a spreadsheet and once i added the kids ages and grades they would be for each vacation, things changed a little bit.

As my oldest got older, I realized that we would either be vactioning at different times or for diff't lengths of time. maybe plot out the kids ages and grades, you might see some habits change.

Kiki Mouse

From our perspective

Pros
We like having the kitchen facilities. We generally eat breakfast in the room, have a large lunch out and nibbles for dinner back in the room. This saves money and is healthier. We also pick up milk, juice, wine and beer from Publics or other so we are not paying the WDW prices.

Love having the washer and dryer. We have an Owners Locker so are able to go for a 10 day vacation with carryon.

We did an adult only trip last year; we have APs so we did go to the parks but could easily just enjoyed the 'free' stuff. I can see us using this as a winter vacation long after DD has left home. There are a lot of 'mature' couples at the DVC resorts.

Cons
There are only three of us but we like the two bedroom units. Did the economics on a studio, generally get a two bedroom. (We sometimes invite friends to join us so it does not seem too extravagant.)

We have done three add-ons which is not uncommon. We are ok with this but you need to be aware that it is quite common.

Kiki Mouse,

We have been members since 93. 2 kids were 6 and 4 then (23 and 21 now). We went twice a year when they were younger, every year since then. Traded for Disney cruise 4 times (twice over New Years) have been for 5 Christmases. Stayed at home OKW, and BC, SS, AKL, always got our first choice of rooms and dates, never had to change plans, even at Christmas. Trick is to book as soon as you can.

Since the kids are older we go once a year alone or with friends and every other year try to arrange for the kids to come with us. A lot of trips we combine it with a 7 day non-Disney cruise and then go to the parks for 4 or 5days after.

We can see us still going every year for the next 30 years. There is so much we haven't done.

Best investment we ever made. Best memories we have are DVC made.

Debbie and Tony

I've been a member since 2000 with ownership at VWL. However, we generally prefer to stay at OKW due to the size and different layout of the villas.

Apologize if this is in the wrong forum

my mind has been racing lately about going to Disney again and I am still keenly interested in getting into the DVC.

I think there are still some things that are same as usual (25 yr plan, have to buy it at Disney unless you are in Alberta, Ontario, etc) but I have some questions:
Has the price gone up? I think I was told 16 K when I went to their presentation
Is it possible to put a down payment ie 10% on credit card and pay the rest off w credit card?
What are the point system for using non home resorts ie using for pop century, POR
can it be used for the cruise lines?

Apologize if this is in the wrong forum

my mind has been racing lately about going to Disney again and I am still keenly interested in getting into the DVC.

I think there are still some things that are same as usual (25 yr plan, have to buy it at Disney unless you are in Alberta, Ontario, etc) but I have some questions:
Has the price gone up? I think I was told 16 K when I went to their presentation
Is it possible to put a down payment ie 10% on credit card and pay the rest off w credit card?
What are the point system for using non home resorts ie using for pop century, POR
can it be used for the cruise lines?

I can answer some of those. You can use points for non home resorts but I think the amount of points are too high for most of them (in otherwords you get much better value doing a studio in one of the home resorts)

You can use it for the cruise, but again it takes a very large number of points. When I did the Disney cruise, I ended up renting out my points for the use year (half of what it would have cost me in points to book with them) and paid for the cruise for the 4 of us. I got a good deal with Dreams Unlimited.

Hi friends,
I think we bought the dealership HHI last year and have already suffered addonitis twice, once in time SSR and AKV. We had four agreements, but we sold the original HHI. We love DVC and is one of the best decisions we made our families for future use.

On the list as well!

Don't think I am on the list - we bought VGC points in 2009 :yay: and will be making our second trip home this spring.

I have a question for Canadian VGC members - did you order groceries online - where and how did you pay. I tried to order with Vons but it wouldn't accept my credit card even if I used the VGC zipcode and then the bank put a stop on my card as they thought someone was trying to fraudulently use it - thank goodness I had hubby with me so we could use his card to settle the bill when checking out would appreciate any ideas for our upcoming trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter