Canadian Buffoon's DISmeet vacation - 09/14 - Bowled Over

:rotfl::blush:
As I smashed into the object
on the road at seventy miles an hour,
the resulting explosion
turned my idyllic drive
into anything but.

:scared:

The fact that you're writing this is a massive spoiler, but... still....

Well... it happened because of you.
(Yes. You. It's your fault.

Sorry.

:blush:

And without your comments
I don't know that you've read.

Yes. From one TR writer to another... I get it.

Traveling with her is okay,
but she does cramp my style
from time to time

Kids. They do that.

But I'm sure she's thinking about it.

<is still thinking of how to insert a family friendly joke about telling you to fork off>

I can go both ways, ya know.

Er... uh...

:scared1:

:rotfl:

But just for fun,
do you pronounce it
data or data?

Day-tuh

Yay!!! Another gem from pkondz!!! Wouldn't miss this! Your intro is a masterpiece, as usual... well except for the intro to the intro, that was just downright scary! But since you're treating us to another opus, I'm gonna say I'm relieved you're okay :goodvibes Excited to read more!!!

I thought that I had commented already... blast must not have. I'm here!

That intro has me greatly concerned! I can't wait to hear all about the DISmeets and everything that happened on this trip!

As to my favorite dessert recipe:

BAILEYS IRISH CREAM BROWNIES

1 c flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp espresso powder (opt)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c dark chocolate chips
1/4 c butter (half a stick)
2 eggs
1 c sugar
1/3 c Baileys Irish Cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Line an 8x8inch pan with parchment paper and lightly spritz with cooking spray, set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt until combined.

Melt together chocolate and butter either in a double boiler or in the microwave (if doing in microwave, keep it to 30 second intervals). Let cool.

Once the chocolate mixture is warm (not hot!), add eggs 1 at a time, whisking constantly to incorporate. Add sugar, vanilla, and Baileys and whisk until combined. Add the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture, folding until just combined.

Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 18-20 minutes.

Mmmm, so good...

Perfect timing! Love a pee-kahnz TR! I am needing a way to pass the time until our trip in 9 weeks and I can't think of a better way!

I'll be back with a dessert recipe, love the idea! But I have been known to dip a spoon into a jar of peanut butter as a dessert! Lol!

Dawn

Double Chocolate Oat Muffins (for people with food allergies)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of oat flour
1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. Of baking powder
1 tsp. Of baking soda
1/2 tsp. Of salt
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. Of oil (olive or palm shortening)
1/2 cup of sweetener (sucanat)
3/4 cup of enjoy life mega chunks or
1/2 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips

1. Grease 6 muffin tin cups. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, oil, and sweetener.
4. Add oat mixture to applesauce mixture and mix well.
5. Stir in chocolate chunks or chocolate chips.
6. Spoon evenly into muffin cups and bake 20-22 minutes. Muffins are done when the tops are firm to the touch.

We don’t do any real traditional baking because of the several food allergies. This is a great muffin recipe. For added chocolate add both chocolate chunks and chocolate chips. I have made these for my family and they never could tell they were allergy friendly.

Last edited:

I glanced over at Betty
(my semi-trusty GPS)
and saw that I had
about five more hours
of driving ahead of me.

So that's like half a day's work for one of our road trips!

And then the SUV began to slow down.

"Oh, come on dude.
If you're going to pass...
don't slow down."

:sad2: And then you flipped on the mounted cannon on your dashboard and started blasting away.

As I smashed into the object
on the road at seventy miles an hour,
the resulting explosion
turned my idyllic drive
into anything but.

Sounds like you have a problem there, bub.

But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Well, hi there.

Welcome to my ninth TR...
Ninth!! How did that happen?

You mean even a fiery, deadly car crash won't stop these things??

I'm always up for a good read.
It helps take the edge off the crap
that I put out.

Me too. That's why I like to read while taking a dump.

I've learned to deal with that, though.
In a loving, respectful way.

Or, give up the touchy-feely stuff and just go with whatever is expedient.

(Some would call that stalking.
I prefer.... romantic.)

Depends on if the attention is wanted or not.

I can go both ways, ya know.

:eek:

I won't be running a contest
this time around,
but I will be posting at least one
photo per update with a
"did you see it" hidden in it.

No points for finding it,
just for fun.
Look, don't look. It's up to you.

Perfect! That sounds much easier to keep up with!

(No. None in this update.
You can stop looking.)

Oh. Um. I wasn't looking.

But just for fun,
do you pronounce it
data or data?

Data.

And aren't you weirded out
that you actually pronounced it
both ways in your head?

Actually, I had to think about it--what's the other way?

What's your favourite
dessert recipe?

My mom's apple pie or my wife's simple key lime pie of awesomeness. I'll have to look them up.

Posting recipes will result in....
Well, nothing at all.
I did say there was no contest.

But I might be tempted to send
a little something
to those who submit one. ;)

Just be careful, that pie isn't going to travel well.

Apple Pie Roll-Ups a.k.a. Apple Pie Enchiladas

So easy, so forgiving, substitutions don't ruin this dish, personalize it!

4-5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced.
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt
Juice of half a lemon

1 jar of prepared caramel ice cream topping

Frozen pie crust, or can of crescent roll dough, or pastry dough sheets

Roll out dough, cut into rectangles, approximately 3" x 5". This recipe is so fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants you can change the dimensions, choose the dough, to. Set cut dough pieces aside.

Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Cook, at a simmer, until apples are fork tender.

Or better yet, buy a can of prepared apple pie filling! :)

Put 1 heaping spoonful of the cooked apples onto the rectangle of dough, and roll up, ala enchilada style. Seal the edges of the dough with a dab of water.

Place on a prepared cookie sheet, bake at 375 for approximately 11-13 minutes.

Once cooled, drizzle caramel sauce on top!
Done! Easy peezy!

Dawn

Hmmm. I think I say it both ways depending on how I'm using it. I think I say Day-ta more often.

As for the recipe- here is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!

1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Mix together
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Mix together again
2 1/2 cups flour
Chocolate chips (to your liking)
Mix everything together
350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or so

yep, same stuff

Okay. Thought so,
but good to know for sure.

I have never actually used these - I just use Hersheys white, milk, & dark chocolate chips.

Ah! Then that's probably
what I'll do, too.

But the Wilton, I've never noticed them at Walmart (although online store says they have them). The only place I've seen them locally are Michaels (yes, the craft store) and I think Bulk Barn (not sure if you have that out west)

We have Michaels and Bulk Barn.
But may just use what you do.
We'll see! :)

Not really, I tried doing it that way first, but then I just left the door closed and I didn't find much difference. Might bake for a minute less if you keep the door closed.

Hmmm....
I might crack the door just for a bit...

Okay if you want an anytime of the year recipe - I present to you Rice Krispie Squares pixiedust:
I get asked to bring this to all the family picnics and other events and it is super easy to make
INGREDIENTS
  • 50 ml or 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1.25 L or 5 cups miniature or 40 regular (250 g pkg) marshmallows
  • 2 ml or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1.5 L or 6 Cups Rice Krispies* cereal
  • MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
    1. In large microwaveable bowl, microwave margarine on HIGH (100%) 30-60 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows, tossing to coat. Microwave on HIGH (100%) 45 seconds, remove from microwave, stir, then microwave another 35-45 seconds or until smooth when stirred, stirring after 45 seconds
    2. Stir in vanilla. Add cereal, stirring until coated.
    3. Using lightly buttered spatula or lightly buttered hands, press into buttered 3.5L (13 x 9") pan. Cool. Cut into bars.
    Cooking times are for 700 watt microwaves; increase by 15-30 seconds for lower wattage ovens.
  • You can also cook on the stove top. I don't do that because I find that I cook the butter and marshmallows until they are totally melted but then they become tough. You have to only cook until they are starting to meld together and then I would probably remove from heat and stir until they are mixed and melted.

:laughing: I love Rice Krispie squares!!
I tend to do stove top method though.
You know why?

Me neither! :confused3

I am going to check out the other dessert recipes here and see which ones I want to try.

So far...

I wanna try 'em all!

Going back to the data vs data question I am going with this
I think this is what I was trying to say.

You seem to be in the majority. ::yes::

I have seen them at Michaels craft stores as well in the cake decorating section.

Okay.
If I do go that way...
And I don't know if I will...

I'll know where to find them. :)

Perfect! You saved me from posting this one. ;) That was going to be mine. LOL!
Ya snooze ya lose!

(Or in your case,
Ya snooze, work like crazy,
study for pilot's exam,
cook, clean and do general trouble shooting.....

you lose.)

Yeah, the Wilton candy melts!! My mom and aunt and I used to melt them down and use them in candy molds to make chocolate lollipops for holidays and different themes.

I use chocolate dipping wafers
for my handmade chocolates.
Used to have a place to buy fills,
like caramel or what ever...
I'll have to look for a new place
since it closed.

I'm thinking Michaels might have that too.

And...sometimes I'd just eat them.

:laughing: Well, of course!

The red ones are my favourite. They definitely do taste different. NOT a fan of the pink or blue ones. Unless that's changed since I was a kid.

Huh!
I didn't think they'd taste
differently.

They have them at our Walmart here in the cake decorating aisle, near the craft/sewing stuff. I've heard of Bulk Barn being out west also?? But any bulk-type store should carry them. We had an independent bulk store in Fredericton called "Scoop & Save" which was my favourite place as a kid because they also sold a lot of bulk candy.

Never seen them at Walmart...
but never looked either.
We do have Bulk Barn.
(and Michael's.)

hPPtziV.gif

That's just.... ew.

Well I had planned on coming here and posting a recipe, but I woke to find a puddle of water on my computer keyboard and the keyboard no longer works.

Oh, no! Crap.
I take it that was a laptop keyboard
and not a desktop
(i.e. you can't just replace the keyboard)?

Instead I canceled my Chiropractor appointment and Fran let me have the computer that she bought for herself last Fall but never got to setting it up. I've spent the entire day trying to download my files from Carbonite. :headache:

Ugh. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Once I get my recipe files, I'll post something here.

Okay.... but I bet you never will!!!!

OK, I think I'm going to go with two recipes

Nevermind!
I bet you'll post at least two!

And both of these can be made year round, in fact this first one is a good one for cold winters.

We don't really get
cold winters here.

:rolleyes1

And don't believe the serving size, it's 6 or 8 small servings. 4 good size servings.

Got it. Thanks.

Warm Chocolate Mud Cake:

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
6 tbsp. butter (or oil...I use canola oil)
2 oz. semisweet chocolate (or 1/3 cup chocolate chips)
1 cup sugar (separated: 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup)
3 tbsp. plus 1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups hot water
whipped cream or ice cream

Instructions:

1. Coat the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. (Cake's cooking time and final appearance will vary depending on slow cooker size)
2. Whisk together flour and baking powder in medium bowl and set aside.
3. In large bowl, melt chocolate and butter in the microwave. (Double boiler could also be used.)
4. Whisk 2/3 cup sugar, 3 tbsp. cocoa, vanilla extract, salt, milk, and egg yolk into the melted chocolate. Add flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
5. Pour batter into slow cooker and spread evenly.
6. In medium bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, the rest of the cocoa, and the hot water until sugar is dissolved.
7. Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 hours, depending on the size of your slow cooker.
8. Even when done, cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate. You will know it's ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot. (As you check, try not to let the condensed steam from the lid drip onto the cake)
9. When it's done, turn off the power and remove the lid. Let it cool for 25 minutes, then serve it in bowls with whipped cream or ice cream. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

As I was copying the second recipe I realized that it features coffee, so I scrubbed that one. You can also make this year round because you can use frozen blueberries instead of fresh.

Blueberry Dumplings

Total: 50 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 35 min

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar, plus 1 1/2 cups
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 cup milk

1 quart fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups water
Vanilla ice cream or fresh cream, for serving

Directions
Stir flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients, using a pastry cutter or fork. Add milk to form dough. Set dumpling dough aside.

In a large saucepan, combine berries, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Drop dumplings into hot boiling berries by the tablespoonful. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook slowly for 20 to 30 minutes. Do not remove the lid before 20 minutes has passed, and do not stir dumplings. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or fresh cream.

Those look great!
Thanks!!

How big is your slow cooker?
Do you do closer to 1 or 2 hours?

As I was copying the second recipe I realized that it features coffee, so I scrubbed that one.

You could have.
My best cheesecake recipe
has coffee in it.

It depends.
If it's an overwhelming
coffee taste, then I probably
would pass on it.
Otherwise I don't mind it at all.

Wilton products are available at Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Michael’s in the Chicago area. Most places that sell cake decorating supplies sell Wilton.

First off... :welcome: to the TR! :)
Nice to see you again!

We have Michael's up here
so I should be able to find some.

They also have their own online store http://www.wilton.com/shop/ though I’m not sure they ship to Canada.

Shouldn't be a problem?
And I might just go with
chocolate anyways. :)

(On a side note, Wilton is local to us and have a huge warehouse sale every year which often has people lining up for hours)

Really!
That sale must be really good!

I made this for our family Christmas dessert this year. There was none left...

Well, that certainly sounds promising! :)

Holiday Gingerbread Trifle (Irish Recipe)

Ingredients

Irish Gingerbread:
  • 1 Cup (8oz/225g)) light brown sugar
  • ¾ Cup (8oz/225g) Treacle/molasses
  • 2 sticks( 8oz/225g) Butter
  • 3 Cups (16oz/450g) Ap flour
  • 2 tsp Ground ginger
  • 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • 2 Whole Eggs
  • 1 ¼ cups (10floz/300ml) Whole milk
  • 2 level tsp Baking soda

Cream Cheese Orange Cream:
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • ¼ cup (2oz/55g) sugar
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 2 cups heavy cream

Cranberry and Orange Sauce:
  • 2 bags (12 oz each) cranberries, fresh or frozen
  • 2 cups (400g/14oz) sugar
  • 1 orange, zested and juiced
  • 2 cups (16oz/45ofloz ) water
*****I used this recipe for my cranberry sauce though:*****

Spiced Earl Grey Anise Cranberries:
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 4 whole cardamom pods
  • 3 whole star anise
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 5 Earl Grey tea bags
  • 8 cups whole cranberries (about 2 1/2 bags, fresh or frozen)
In a 4-quart pot over high heat, combine 1 3/4 cups water; 2 1/4 cups sugar; 4 whole cardamom pods; 3 whole star anise; and 3 cinnamon sticks. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Add 5 Earl Grey tea bags, and simmer exactly 2 minutes. Remove tea bags and spices with a slotted spoon and add 8 cups whole cranberries (about 2 1/2 bags, fresh or frozen). Increase heat to medium-high and simmer, stirring often, until cranberries soften and split their skins and sauce thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before serving (the sauce will thicken further as it cools). Or cover and refrigerate up to 4 days.

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 150oC/300oF.
  2. Grease and line 2 loaf tins (9x5”)
  3. In a pot, gently heat the sugar, butter and treacle until melted. Set aside to cool once melted.
  4. Sift the flour and spices over the mix and stir in. Then whisk in the eggs.
  5. Whisk the eggs together and then pour them into the treacle mix.
  6. Whisk Warm the milk in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Whisk the bicarbonate (baking soda) into the milk . You will see it bubble and activate.
  7. Whisk the milk straight into the treacle mix until well combined. You will notice this is a thin batter, that's ok.
  8. Pour the batter into your prepared tin.
  9. Bake at 300oF (150oC) for 45 minutes. Then gently cover the tins with ally mum foil and continue baking for a further 15 minutes. This step is very important as it creates a lovely sticky, moist gingerbread.
  10. Once the hour is up take them out of the oven, leaving the foil on.
  11. Now let them sit on a wire wrack in the tins until they are totally cold. The warmth of the cakes steams the cake and you get a beautifully sticky top and a soft moist cake.
  12. Store your gingerbread well wrapped in parchment paper and cling wrap. The bread will stay fresh for 3-4 days. Also freezes well.
  13. For the Cream cheese orange filling : In the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer), whisk cream cheese until smooth. Then add sugar, orange zest, juice and cream. Beat until the mix thickens and doubles in size. Store in the fridge until needed
  14. Cranberry and Orange Sauce :In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, orange zest and juice and water. Bring to a simmer over low; cook until cranberries begin to burst, 10-12 minutes until it resembles jam and is thick. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
  15. To build your trifle: In your presentation bowl, lay in cubes of gingerbread. Top with a thick layer of the orange cream filling. Then generously spoon over your cranberry sauce. Repeat layers again for a BIG and BOLD trifle.

Holy crap!
That recipe is huge!!!

Looks like I have my work
cut out for me!

:scared:

The fact that you're writing this is a massive spoiler, but... still....

I will admit that
ghost writing is not
my style.

:rolleyes2

No you're not.

;)

Yes. From one TR writer to another... I get it.

:hug:

Kids. They do that.

Never should've had 'em!!!

Well.....

<is still thinking of how to insert a family friendly joke about telling you to fork off>

:eek:

:lmao:

:rolleyes1

That seems to be the majority pick. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter