• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Canadian AP holders

Sue M

DIS Veteran
Any of you annual passholders getting Disney emails for the special AP events they’re holding? Like the early admission to Toy Storyland? Or Passholder Nights?

I phoned internet support desk because there are events during my dates Aug/Sept and I’m not getting emails to register for them. What I was told was if Passholder has a Canadian address they are blocked from receiving their marketing emails for these. Something about Canadian privacy laws :confused3 But doesn’t each Province have their own laws?
This may explain why I haven’t recieved a PIN code in years too.

So wondering if anyone is getting them?

I am not an AP holder, but I do not receive any Disney related marketing emails even though I have given permissions on everything (WDW, DCL, DVC). We are DVC member and never get the emails about upcoming offers, promotions, etc.

I think it is a Canadian thing.

I'm an AP holder and I don't get email about special offers. I have to read about them or its word of mouth.

It’s our privacy laws. I’m a AP and I never get any of the updates.

I just looked back trough my emails, we received offers on hotels in late 2016. Nothing since then.

It’s our privacy laws. I’m a AP and I never get any of the updates.
What has changed? I used to get Disney marketing emails. Are all provinces under the same law? I notice in contests Quebec is always excluded from entering. So even though a person opts into getting emails you can’t get them?

Same here, no marketing emails of any kind, and I’ve definitely gone in to confirm that I’ve subscribed to emails from the entire Disney family of companies. My guess is that the privacy law changes of a few years back have scared Disney into just blanket-banning all marketing emails to Canadians. I assume it’s either easier for them or that’s what their lawyers have suggested to reduce liabilities under our stupid new laws. (I teach high school, and we can’t even send out emails to parents if they mention any fundraising events, or so our board lawyers have decreed.)

It’s very frustrating. I can live without the AP newsletters, and even without the special event invites thanks to the nice Americans here on the DIS who share the info, but I really miss the chance of getting a PIN code offer...

I'm in Ontario, not an AP holder, but I do receive marketing emails and PIN codes and marketing emails from Disney Destinations all the time (though never for a time when I'm actually able to use any of it!). The most recent PIN code I received was back in May of this year for use this summer but I usually receive codes 2-3 times per year. I've done surveys and signed up for promotional materials everywhere I can (probably like most of you have too!) but I'm not sure why my email address isn't blocked when others in Canada are.

So, while this isn't actually helpful, I thought I'd at least provide anecdotal evidence that Disney can and does send promo stuff to us canucks!

Perhaps I don't receive any offer codes because I book DVC villas, generally, using points. So even if I have an AP, they don't think I stay onsite...although my AP is a DVC AP...so another reason why they wouldn't send me anything. The last time I booked a regular Disney resort was 2002 at AKL...before and after that, I never received an offer, but I've also never used an offer code.

I'm an AP holder and I don't get email about special offers. I have to read about them on the boards.

I've been an AP holder on and off for the past several years. I have never received anything AP related, but I do receive pin codes from time to time.

I'm in Ontario, not an AP holder, but I do receive marketing emails and PIN codes and marketing emails from Disney Destinations all the time (though never for a time when I'm actually able to use any of it!). The most recent PIN code I received was back in May of this year for use this summer but I usually receive codes 2-3 times per year. I've done surveys and signed up for promotional materials everywhere I can (probably like most of you have too!) but I'm not sure why my email address isn't blocked when others in Canada are.

So, while this isn't actually helpful, I thought I'd at least provide anecdotal evidence that Disney can and does send promo stuff to us canucks!
Interesting. The thing that set me off about this is for once I’m going to be in WDW while several special AP events are going on. At least I get in on one, the Epcot after hours night thanks to my friend from Cali that’s meeting up with me there. We freq plan trips together. So she was able to book it for us.

I haven’t recieved pin codes in years :sad2:

I did some reading and it says if you opt in to receiving marketing email it’s legal for them to send.

Same here, no marketing emails of any kind, and I’ve definitely gone in to confirm that I’ve subscribed to emails from the entire Disney family of companies. My guess is that the privacy law changes of a few years back have scared Disney into just blanket-banning all marketing emails to Canadians. I assume it’s either easier for them or that’s what their lawyers have suggested to reduce liabilities under our stupid new laws. (I teach high school, and we can’t even send out emails to parents if they mention any fundraising events, or so our board lawyers have decreed.)

It’s very frustrating. I can live without the AP newsletters, and even without the special event invites thanks to the nice Americans here on the DIS who share the info, but I really miss the chance of getting a PIN code offer...
I guess your right, it’s just easier for them. I did some reading that says it is ok for them to send marketing emails if you opt in. But if they get a complaint it’s on them to prove they had permission.

This is good to know. I haven't received a PIN code for about 2 years and we used to take advantage of them. I did wonder why I hadn't had any recently and just assumed they were in a position to not need to provide discounts for the times of year we usually go. I am going to be getting APs shortly so I will make sure to check regularly if I do not receive promotions for AP holders. We plan to start going 3-4 times per year for short periods of time so getting some of these offers is part of why I want APs.

This is good to know. I haven't received a PIN code for about 2 years and we used to take advantage of them. I did wonder why I hadn't had any recently and just assumed they were in a position to not need to provide discounts for the times of year we usually go. I am going to be getting APs shortly so I will make sure to check regularly if I do not receive promotions for AP holders. We plan to start going 3-4 times per year for short periods of time so getting some of these offers is part of why I want APs.
I wouldn’t hold you breath on getting offers.

I have had an AP for a few years and don't get the emails. Noticed recently that I don't see any AP offers, discounts etc on the website unless I change the language to US - English.

we are AP's as well. Don't get any AP related e-mails. We do sometimes get pin codes and other things from disney destinations. We also get things from DVC (we are DVC members). We have never received anything AP related...

I have had an AP for a few years and don't get the emails. Noticed recently that I don't see any AP offers, discounts etc on the website unless I change the language to US - English.
I noticed that too, have to change to the US English to see any AP resort offers. Never used to have to?

we are AP's as well. Don't get any AP related e-mails. We do sometimes get pin codes and other things from disney destinations. We also get things from DVC (we are DVC members). We have never received anything AP related...
I’m not getting Pins. Haven’t for years.

I've been emailing the passholder email address this week. They confirmed that it's Canadian privacy laws that doesn't allow Canadians to receive emails, even if we opted in on the website. Seems like there's nothing we can do about this. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter