Can you walk me thru getting to Trunk Bay on our own? Do you recommend?

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
We're going on the Eastern for the first time, very excited. And have wanted to see this beach forever. But can't see paying $45.00 thru Disney, and lunch isn't included? Pros and cons, to going on our own vs. Disney, other than knowing Disney would get us back in time. We are very good with the timing and will do everything to make sure we're back. But does it eat most of the day to get back and forth? Any tips at all would be great, thanks!

It's very easy to do, and because the ferry travels so regularly between St. Thomas and St. John, I don't think there's any concern about getting back on time. Upon arriving in St. Thomas, you want to disembark and make your way to the Redhook ferry. There will be many taxis at the cruise port, and this is the ferry website - http://www.vinow.com/travel/virgin-islands-ferry-schedules/. Once on St. John, you can take a taxi to Trunk Bay, or if you're feeling even more adventuresome try Waterlemon, which I think is even more beautiful. Most of St. John is a national Park, and here is the NPS page https://www.nps.gov/viis/index.htm.

If you're a little lucky and can hustle right off the ship, you might be able to make the 8 AM ferry this will give you lots of time on St. John before the big cruise groups show up. You should time you return ferry for about three hours before ships departure. So, if all aboard is 5 PM, I would plan to be on the 2 PM return ferry. Make sure to have enough cash for the taxis on either end of the trip and the ferry.

It's very easy to do, and because the ferry travels so regularly between St. Thomas and St. John, I don't think there's any concern about getting back on time. Upon arriving in St. Thomas, you want to disembark and make your way to the Redhook ferry. There will be many taxis at the cruise port, and this is the ferry website - http://www.vinow.com/travel/virgin-islands-ferry-schedules/. Once on St. John, you can take a taxi to Trunk Bay, or if you're feeling even more adventuresome try Waterlemon, which I think is even more beautiful. Most of St. John is a national Park, and here is the NPS page https://www.nps.gov/viis/index.htm.

If you're a little lucky and can hustle right off the ship, you might be able to make the 8 AM ferry this will give you lots of time on St. John before the big cruise groups show up. You should time you return ferry for about three hours before ships departure. So, if all aboard is 5 PM, I would plan to be on the 2 PM return ferry. Make sure to have enough cash for the taxis on either end of the trip and the ferry.

Fantastic, this is exactly what I was looking for, so helpful! Thank you!

Ok so I'm looking at the ferry schedule. From Red Hook, it's 8:00 am, and from Charlotte Amalie (where we are docked) it's 10:00 am. I assume I'm asking taxi to take us to Cruz Bay dock for the earliest ferry yes? And how much is taxi? Also, are there lounge chairs on the beach to rent? Lunch? Thanks!

You might check the disney cruiseline blog. In one of his trip reports, they do the ferry to St. John. It should give you a good idea of what to expect.

ETA link: Trip Log

Yes, the ferry from Red Hook is faster. I think the taxi was about five dollars a person. Yes, there are vendors on the beach at Trunk.

What type of taxis are there on St. Thomas and St. John? We will have a party of 5. Do they have vans readily available?

Thanks everyone. Approximately, if we take the ferry from Red Hook, how long from the ship to the actual beach, time wise, does it all take one way?

What type of taxis are there on St. Thomas and St. John? We will have a party of 5. Do they have vans readily available?

Although there are traditional car taxis on St. Thomas! think more of a multi passenger van with the walls removed and bench seating. Are you familiar with the word jitney?

Thanks everyone. Approximately, if we take the ferry from Red Hook, how long from the ship to the actual beach, time wise, does it all take one way?

The taxi to the ferry terminal would be about 20 minutes or so, but there may be some time while the driver finds as many people as they can who want to travel. The ferry from Red Hook to St. John is about 20 minutes. Give yourself another 20 or 30 minutes on the St. John side to get to trunk Bay. Obviously, if you arrive at the ferry terminal just after the ferry has departed, you'll have some extra wait time there.

Although there are traditional car taxis on St. Thomas! think more of a multi passenger van with the walls removed and bench seating. Are you familiar with the word jitney?

The taxi to the ferry terminal would be about 20 minutes or so, but there may be some time while the driver finds as many people as they can who want to travel. The ferry from Red Hook to St. John is about 20 minutes. Give yourself another 20 or 30 minutes on the St. John side to get to trunk Bay. Obviously, if you arrive at the ferry terminal just after the ferry has departed, you'll have some extra wait time there.

Thank you, so are we talking almost an hour and a half to actually get there total? For those that have been, was it worth it? Or should we do a nearby St Thomas beach, would it be just as nice? (first time Eastern here)

Is Cinnamon beach on St Johns'? same amenities?

Mini hi-jack question: Have you snorkeled in Waterlemon? It looks gorgeous!! But I'm reading a lot of stories where sharks were swimming near/stalking people. Nurse and Reef sharks who are deemed "harmless", but still makes me nervous

Mini hi-jack question: Have you snorkeled in Waterlemon? It looks gorgeous!! But I'm reading a lot of stories where sharks were swimming near/stalking people. Nurse and Reef sharks who are deemed "harmless", but still makes me nervous

In several trips to Saint John, where we snorkeled each time, I recall seeing one juvenile nurse shark. I suppose it's possible there might be reef sharks around, but they won't be an issue for you. I've seen many more sharks swimming and snorkeling around Florida. In fact, the most startling experience I ever had in St. John was when a big tarpon came up beside me. They are not dangerous at all, but they are huge!

Thank you, so are we talking almost an hour and a half to actually get there total? For those that have been, was it worth it? Or should we do a nearby St Thomas beach, would it be just as nice? (first time Eastern here)

Saint Thomas is lovely, but I don't think anything compares to the beautiful beaches of Saint John.

In several trips to Saint John, where we snorkeled each time, I recall seeing one juvenile nurse shark. I suppose it's possible there might be reef sharks around, but they won't be an issue for you. I've seen many more sharks swimming and snorkeling around Florida. In fact, the most startling experience I ever had in St. John was when a big tarpon came up beside me. They are not dangerous at all, but they are huge!
Awesome, thanks! Yes, we live in FL and have seen our share before - think we may have to try a St. John beach this time. The pictures alone look incredible.

Is Cinnamon beach on St Johns'? same amenities?

Cinnamon Bay Beach is on St. John. It is about 2 miles past Trunk Bay. It is quieter than Trunk Bay, and has a restaurant and a water sports shack. There are plenty of taxis on hand to get you back to the ferry. It does not have a snorkeling trail like Trunk Bay.
:)

Cinnamon Bay Beach is on St. John. It is about 2 miles past Trunk Bay. It is quieter than Trunk Bay, and has a restaurant and a water sports shack. There are plenty of taxis on hand to get you back to the ferry. It does not have a snorkeling trail like Trunk Bay.
:)

Thank you, does it have lounge chairs to rent?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter