Can you walk from SOG to the Polynesian?

cakburns

Earning My Ears
We are going to be staying at SOGs. Can we walk from there to the Polynesian to catch the monorail? I've asked a couple of CMs and they couldn't tell me. Appreciate any advice. Thanks

KB Farms

You sure can! It's less than a mile (closer to half), although you do have to cross a street that gets fairly busy.

And along the walkway, you will pass ponds on either side. Watch for wildlife, especially in the early morning. We spotted an alligator on the pond bank last summer! According to my grandkids- that was Way Cool!!!

:cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana: Hi, you can walk to poly From the SOG but the Grand Is Closer just across the street!! It will save you time Have a great trip!!!:cool1: :banana:

Hi, you can walk to poly From the SOG but the Grand Is Closer just across the street!! It will save you time Have a great trip!!!

We've done the walk many times, and the Poly is most definitely closer. There is actually a path across the street from the end of the SOG walkway that takes you right onto the Poly grounds. The GF is further north along that road (Floridian Way) and with no sidewalk, getting there can be dangerous.
Also, SOG operates a golf cart most of the day along the entrance road to help those with tired feet.

We've done the walk many times, and the Poly is most definitely closer. There is actually a path across the street from the end of the SOG walkway that takes you right onto the Poly grounds. The GF is further north along that road (Floridian Way) and with no sidewalk, getting there can be dangerous.
Also, SOG operates a golf cart most of the day along the entrance road to help those with tired feet.

True. If you want to stay on the walkways the best way to walk from SOG to GF would involve hoofing it through the Poly grounds and hooking up with the walkway past the Wedding compound to the GF. Easier just to take a right and go to the GCH monorail station at the Poly.

Boy does this bring back memories. When I was a kid, my dad used to play in the Disney Classic golf tournament. We stayed at Poly one year, and for some reason dad decided he wanted to walk back as opposed to taking the courtesy cars. And on top of that, he had me lug his golf bag the whole way:lmao: I'm sure its a much easier walk than I remember it:thumbsup2

On a slightly different note, we've stayed at Pop Century (which IMO was a great value resort--our daughter just loved it) and the Caribbean (which was nice, but I don't feel we were there enough to justify the expense of the room, all we did was sleep there the last time, did not take advantage of the resort (didn't even get to walk around it). This is our first time at SOG. How does this resort compare to the other resorts? I've been to the the SOG website. Does the AFEES store have some grocery items (milk, cereal and such?). How are the resturants at SOG? Is the meal pricing comparable or less than the other resorts?

Yes you can walk to the poly or during regular hours you can get a ride via golf court to the end of there driveway and walk across the street to teh Poly. Just check with the bell desk. You will probably want to give your friendly driver a couple of bucks for his trouble. The resort was renovated a few years ago. Sadly our christmas trip back to those same rooms we had right after renovation are starting to show wear again. The rooms themselves are larger than any of the disney rooms. They are clean. I give the staff credit there.

Aafes has food items but we found it better at times to go off property and just bring in larger milk, or oj's. Save a little there. There is a popular starbucks stand outside the aafes store. There is a little breakfast/lunch place downstairs. There are a couple of restaurants. One normally has a dinner buffet. That varies in price each night. Each night is a different theme too. There is an italian restaurant, Manginos. And then the Eagles Nest out by one of the pools where you can get burgers, pizza and the like. Not fond of the pizza myself :( Of course remember there is wildlife around. I was coming back from there with that pizza and a deer came tearing out of the woods and scared the dickens out of me. Alligators do inhabit the ponds. We enjoyed our view of the golf course and the alligator who like to sun himself and scare unsuspecting golfers who came upon it.

For the money you pay for the rooms its a good value! There is bus service and paid shuttle service to Seaworld and I think Universal.

HAve fun :)

Can you really walk to the Poly & GF from SoG??? Wow, I'm surprised! I thought I read on here that WDW does not allow guests to walk from resorts unless there is a trail or walkway or something.

I'm not familiar with the location of SoG though....can you actually see GF & Poly from the SoG grounds? That's so great that SoG guests can walk to the monorail!

I knew you could walk from WL to FW & from POR to POFQ. Do any other WDW resorts have walkways to each other?

Can you really walk to the Poly & GF from SoG??? Wow, I'm surprised! I thought I read on here that WDW does not allow guests to walk from resorts unless there is a trail or walkway or something.

There is a walkway from the Poly to GF. I think the wedding pavilion is along this route.

There is also a path marked "Shades of Green" from the Poly leading away from the Poly to the road, and then you walk along the sidewalk and cross the street at the crosswalk to enter the SOG property.

I think you're right that Disney does not want a lot of pedestrians walking along the streets, so usually the pathways between resorts are not near major roads, the SOG being the exception.

You can also easily walk between the EPCOT resorts -- Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Clubs. And of course from any of them, you can walk to DHS or EPCOT.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

I'm not familiar with the location of SoG though....can you actually see GF & Poly from the SoG grounds? That's so great that SoG guests can walk to the monorail!

I knew you could walk from WL to FW & from POR to POFQ. Do any other WDW resorts have walkways to each other?

We've stayed at SoG twice and we walked to the Polynesian several times. I know coming out of the exit from SoG the first thing you see is the Poly and it's right across the street. Never walked to GF but it's a lot further away from SoG than the Poly. Shades of Green is a very nice place and a great value.

There is also a path marked "Shades of Green" from the Poly leading away from the Poly to the road, and then you walk along the sidewalk and cross the street at the crosswalk to enter the SOG property.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

Someone once posted a picture of the sign that Disney placed along that walkway on Poly porperty that pointed SOG guests in the right direction. I am having difficulty finding it right now.

It is a bit of a walk. Nothing bad. But as someone else mentioned it would seem a lot longer at the end of the day. :lmao:
SoG is a beautiful resort. Reminds me a lot of the WL.

We've stayed at SoG twice and we walked to the Polynesian several times. I know coming out of the exit from SoG the first thing you see is the Poly and it's right across the street. Never walked to GF but it's a lot further away from SoG than the Poly. Shades of Green is a very nice place and a great value.

Seems like a great place! We don't qualify to stay there, but I would love to visit now that I know where it is.

Is there a TS or CS there?

Seems like a great place! We don't qualify to stay there, but I would love to visit now that I know where it is.

Is there a TS or CS there?

Unfortunately, you need military or DoD ID to gain access to SOG. Golfing at the Magnolia or Palms courses would allow you to dine at the Evergreen's Sports Bar & Restaurant, which is on SOG grounds.

We have walked from the SOG to the Poly - so it is possible.

Unfortunately, you need military or DoD ID to gain access to SOG.

That's not quite true. You can certainly walk into SOG by walking from the Poly, although you can't drive into it in your car without a qualifying ID. If you walk there, you can walk around the grounds and you could likely buy some things, like a milkshake in their small ice cream place, without needing an ID. (We got shakes here and didn't have to show ID, but we didn't ever stop at the coffee place or any of the SOG restaurants when we stayed there in December, so not sure if you need IDs for those places.) But if you try to buy something at the store, you'll be asked for an ID.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter