can you recommend a camera?

redbonec

Mouseketeer
HI,

We will be going to DL in less than 2 weeks. I would like to get a new camera. Mine is "old" (9 years). Mainly, it is slow to take pictures.

Can anyone recommend something that:
-takes quick pictures
-easy for amateurs, I don't know how to do fancy settings
-pictures are clear and colorful
-can take nighttime or action shots decently
-is not expensive (I read on a blog of someone who recommended their point and shoot camera, then I saw the price tag of $800. I am looking for waaayy less)

Thank you for any help!

You can get a really nice compact digital camera for $150-$300. Check out consumer reports for reviews or look at Amazon reviews. I am partial to Canons, but all of the major brands are pretty good.

If you want one that takes good action and night shots you will have to pay a little more. There are several nice entry level DSLRs in the $300-$500 range. You may also want to think about upgrading your phone instead. Most of the newer phones have excellent cameras (most will take an attachable lens now too) with some pretty cool apps in about the same price range as the entry level DSLRs, but much more compact.

I am also camera challenged. My husband recently bought me a Canon PowerShot SX600 HS. I love it. It's easy to use, has a fast shutter speed, and can also be set to take multiple pictures in split seconds. I think you can get it for about $300.00 or less if it's on sale. I got mine at Best Buy.

Make sure you Format the memory card after downloading the photos of course.. its the card that will slow a camera down .. not so much the camera.. and buy a good high speed card.. this will cost a lot more than the slower ones.. but if you are in sport mode you dont wont a camera buffering 20 seconds behind the shot...
I am a Canon girl.. got my son a small Kodak and its great point and shot..

night time shots will most likely be the hardest .. because most camera worth their weight in salt will need a tripod for night shots... even if you steady yourself your hands will move just enough to make it shake and result in a blur..
Wallys world
FRys here is Washington State
Best buys.
and Target will do price matching if you have the add with you ..
some dont like to do online price matching.. but it can be done...
I asked the camera guy in Target if they did price matching.. he said no.. i had the printed add.. when I paid for it.. i just showed the girl at the cash register and she adjusted the price.. so even from stuff member to staff member your info will be mixed.

As others have said, you can a fairly nice point and shoot camera for somewhere in the under $300 range, but not to many compact cameras do nighttime photos well. You really probably need to look at a DSLR for nighttime photos, but that's going to increase the price tag substantially.

In the past, I've used Steve's Digicam website to read reviews and see sample shots from various cameras.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I've had compact P&S Sonys, Canons, and Panasonics. I've found that all P&S have their advantages and their disadvantages. If you can go to a store that has a variety of makes/models, I would do that so you can also get a feel for how they fit into your hand. You want all of the controls to be within easy reach and for the camera to fit well in your hand.

Also, don't discount buying a higher end used/refurbished camera. Borrowlenses.com and other camera sites re-sell older cameras that will still be perfectly useful.

I have a Canon S100. For a P&S it does quite nicely in low light for pics and video. For a beginner the auto setting takes great pictures. It is fairly lightweight and "pocketable".

It has all the features of a DSLR (except removable lens of course) if you want to play with the settings and learn a bit about photography. I took some stills at my son's graduation from a distance in a gymnasium at ISO 3200 and the pictures were sharp with no/very little noise.

The newer model is the S120 but it might be out of your price range at $349.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-s120/steves-conclusion-295.html

Last edited:

You know, I have a cheap little Nikon point and shoot that I love because it can fit in my pocket, but it really sucks at nighttime photos. This is a great thread, because it's something I've been thinking about, tbh.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-s120/steves-conclusion-295.html
I have the Canon S120, bought it earlier in the year for the sole purpose of taking night pictures and videos at DL. However after I bought the camera I discovered its horrible battery life. But if you're just planning to take pictures, you should be fine. The occasional videos might be okay too. Just don't expect to do continuous recording. Having spare batteries wouldn't hurt either.

Last year I used my Galaxy S3 to take most of the pictures and videos. It took me multiple recharging while at the park. Thankfully I have a spare battery and one of those portable charger... :D

I have a Canon S100. For a P&S it does quite nicely in low light for pics and video. For a beginner the auto setting takes great pictures. It is fairly lightweight and "pocketable".

It has all the features of a DSLR (except removable lens of course) if you want to play with the settings and learn a bit about photography. I took some stills at my son's graduation from a distance in a gymnasium at ISO 3200 and the pictures were sharp with no/very little noise.

I have the Canon S100 too. My dad, an amateur photographer, gave it to us when he bought a new model. It fits in my purse but takes great pictures. I always carry an extra battery with me to swap out when I need to. This was his go to camera for when he didn't want to bring along something big.

I have the Canon S120, bought it earlier in the year for the sole purpose of taking night pictures and videos at DL. However after I bought the camera I discovered its horrible battery life. But if you're just planning to take pictures, you should be fine. The occasional videos might be okay too. Just don't expect to do continuous recording. Having spare batteries wouldn't hurt either.

Last year I used my Galaxy S3 to take most of the pictures and videos. It took me multiple recharging while at the park. Thankfully I have a spare battery and one of those portable charger... :D

I read all the reviews about the horrible battery life but bought the S100 anyways because it had all the features I wanted (especially the low light capability) and got great reviews. So, I went to DLR armed with 3 charged batteries. However, unlike your experience, I never had to swap the battery out. I took maybe 30-60 minutes of video and 50 pictures per day so I was pleasantly surprised.

The batteries are fairly cheap, Sterlingtek is often recommended on the photography forums:

http://sterlingtek.trynt.com/stk-1600-mah-battery-pack-for-canon-nb-6l/

I also only recommend filming at 720p unless you are a video enthusiast. 720p looks fine to me and takes up a heck of lot less disc space.

I have a Nikon s4000. It's a few years old, but I get great auto- pictures, it has a low light setting, it's small (I can fit it in my front pocket with my iPhone) and durable (several trips, not a scratch!)
I've also had no issues with battery life. I've taken over 200 photos in one day and still had a charge.

Canon Elph for me, has been great, takes quite good video too. Stay away from cheap p&s cameras. Good phones are fine for bright light but hopeless in any other light. The canon takes better photos than my wife's iPhone 5.

I have a Nikon s4000. It's a few years old, but I get great auto- pictures, it has a low light setting, it's small (I can fit it in my front pocket with my iPhone) and durable (several trips, not a scratch!)
I've also had no issues with battery life. I've taken over 200 photos in one day and still had a charge.

That looks very similar to my Nikon and for the price I paid, I can't complain. The only thing it doesn't do great is night-time photos, tbh. The battery on mine does last forever, too.

I read all the reviews about the horrible battery life but bought the S100 anyways because it had all the features I wanted (especially the low light capability) and got great reviews. So, I went to DLR armed with 3 charged batteries. However, unlike your experience, I never had to swap the battery out. I took maybe 30-60 minutes of video and 50 pictures per day so I was pleasantly surprised.

The batteries are fairly cheap, Sterlingtek is often recommended on the photography forums:

http://sterlingtek.trynt.com/stk-1600-mah-battery-pack-for-canon-nb-6l/

I also only recommend filming at 720p unless you are a video enthusiast. 720p looks fine to me and takes up a heck of lot less disc space.

Oh good! That is exactly the type of extra battery I just purchased to bring on our Alaska cruise. My dad gave me one with the camera which was that brand so I figured I would get one more. Last summer, the only time my battery gave out on me when when I took a ton of pictures at Animal Kingdom. I just loved the theming there and couldn't stop taking pictures.

the panasonic lx7 (if I remember correctly the lx7 is basically the same as one of the leica fixed lens cameras) and the sony rx100 (not the m2 or m3) are both around 400 and are still pretty good.

if you aren't opposed to getting a used camera you could probably get a much better performing one for a similar price, just have to be careful and check it out first and/or make sure to get it from a reputable shop.

I do love my Sony rx100. I have the cheap version. It rocks when I feel lazy and leave the big gear at home. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter