• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can You put a spending limit amount on kids' KTTW cards?

mmouse37

DCL Diva!!
I know in the past you could not but can you now? I heard you may be able to do it on the app but we haven't cruised with kids in a long time so just wondering.

MJ

Can you still pay with gift cards in the shops? Would that be an option to budget for them?

I asked onboard on our last cruise and was told the card was either open for charging or closed for charging. We last cruised in 2020, so maybe things are different now.

I know in the past you could not but can you now? I heard you may be able to do it on the app but we haven't cruised with kids in a long time so just wondering.

MJ
It's been since before Covid for us having a Disney cruise but I remember either I allowed charging or not. I don't remember being able to set an amount.

I thought you could allow them to pull x amount into your account and then once you spend that you can go down to customer services and dump more in if you want - but you can't over spend the money actually in the account? Something like that?

I thought you could allow them to pull x amount into your account and then once you spend that you can go down to customer services and dump more in if you want - but you can't over spend the money actually in the account? Something like that?

You can put money on, but I don't think you get to set the limit for charging. DCL may have a limit after which you cannot charge anything until you put more on it...but you can't set an amount per card. And any money put onto a stateroom is for the stateroom as a whole, not an individual card.

Your best bet for kids is find out if they are accepting gift cards in the stores and use those - or barring that, not allow spending on your kids' cards and you have to be with them when they choose their souvenirs.

If you don't give a credit card to back the account, DCL will limit the whole account until you pay it down. But that won't limit a specific individual such as preventing a child from buying a ton of souvenirs or smoothies for all their friends.

MJ
We were asked if we wanted to have a spending pin for our kids.

We just told them they couldn't buy anything, LOL. Worked fine. But they're only 8&10 and very good at finding us when they need things purchased...

so the follow-up question for recent cruisers: were gift cards a payment option at the various registers (stores, cafes, ice cream parlor, etc)?

You can put money on, but I don't think you get to set the limit for charging. DCL may have a limit after which you cannot charge anything until you put more on it...but you can't set an amount per card. And any money put onto a stateroom is for the stateroom as a whole, not an individual card.

Your best bet for kids is find out if they are accepting gift cards in the stores and use those - or barring that, not allow spending on your kids' cards and you have to be with them when they choose their souvenirs.

This was always my understanding but someone was telling me that they set specific monetary limits on their kids' KTTW cards through the DCL app. But since I haven't sailed with kids lately I wondering as I had never heard that before.

MJ

This was always my understanding but someone was telling me that they set specific monetary limits on their kids' KTTW cards through the DCL app. But since I haven't sailed with kids lately I wondering as I had never heard that before.

MJ

I don't have kids, but I have never heard of them allowing a spending limit on individual cards - and it's been discussed on here several times so I'm sure if it was allowed, we'd have heard about it.

The only way that money applied *can* go on an account is if it is 2 or more people with their own credit cards attached - like a couple of friends cruising together and sharing a stateroom. (And even that can be iffy in application from what I've heard.)

When I have done online check-in (pre-COVID) I have been asked who in my stateroom is authorized to charge to the room using the credit card I entered. I never tried, but it might be possible to set up some of my group (for example, my kids) with a separate method of payment. If the kids are using a "cash" account, as katmigordon described above, then they could be limited to the amount placed in the account. However, since excursions and tips are also charged to the room for each individual, you'd need to monitor the charges carefully to make sure there's enough on the account to keep the card valid for charging.

For our cruise last week, it was "Charge: yes/no" and no limits allowable. It was an exercise in responsibility. It allowed them to get the yummy shake up on the pool deck, or a coffee on deck 4, but they knew they only could spend $50 unless they checked with me.

I don't have kids, but I have never heard of them allowing a spending limit on individual cards - and it's been discussed on here several times so I'm sure if it was allowed, we'd have heard about it.

Yup the only question I was asked was if I was allowing the kids to be able to charge. Yes or no. Nothing about being able to set a limit. They either can charge or they can't.

Yup the only question I was asked was if I was allowing the kids to be able to charge. Yes or no. Nothing about being able to set a limit. They either can charge or they can't.
How does that work for excursions? My kids cards were charged for the excursions they took with us. I thought they might just lump all the excursions on my card or my wife's.
Didn't have an issue with my kids charging. I think my son ran up a $10 dry cleaning bill after spilling food on his tie at dinner, and my daughter had nothing on her card....other than excursions.

How does that work for excursions? My kids cards were charged for the excursions they took with us. I thought they might just lump all the excursions on my card or my wife's.
Didn't have an issue with my kids charging. I think my son ran up a $10 dry cleaning bill after spilling food on his tie at dinner, and my daughter had nothing on her card....other than excursions.
I'm really not sure. I have never actually done an excursion lol. But my kids were great also, I think they each barely spent $20. And they always asked me first anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter